E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Catless in a vert?

I've been contemplating swapping my headers for some super sprint ones and leaving my stock section 1 (I also have non-res SS x-pipe and SS race). My concern is the smell in a vert. I've heard very mixed reviews on this. Some saying it's not bad and others saying it's unbearable. Anyone have experience with a similar situation and feel like sharing?
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
I'm curious to know this as well!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Catless in a vert?

You'll always smell it when stopped. Not sure how bad it actually is in the e46 but I know you'll always smell it. Won't smell it when moving though. If you have money for super sprints just have some high flow cats welded in. Shouldn't be too much more in cost.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I would get a set of race cats and not worry about it. Otherwise the car will give you a headache after a while
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
AAblown

My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
i have AA catless race headers. The smell is tolerable when static. Being a car fanatic, i actually enjoy the smell.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
morningisbad

Re: Catless in a vert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
You'll always smell it when stopped. Not sure how bad it actually is in the e46 but I know you'll always smell it. Won't smell it when moving though. If you have money for super sprints just have some high flow cats welded in. Shouldn't be too much more in cost.

This is where I'm leaning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAblown View Post
i have AA catless race headers. The smell is tolerable when static. Being a car fanatic, i actually enjoy the smell.
I feel the same way! But I'm less concerned about me and more concerned about the ladies :cool: No, but seriously...my fiance wouldn't let me take the top down if it was too bad.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Catless in a vert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
This is where I'm leaning...

I feel the same way! But I'm less concerned about me and more concerned about the ladies :cool: No, but seriously...my fiance wouldn't let me take the top down if it was too bad.
You actually smell it just as much with the top up in my experience.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
morningisbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
You actually smell it just as much with the top up in my experience.
Hmm...I wouldn't have expected this. I'm thinking I'd have to add cats in order to keep her happy.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
SunTiger

My Ride: 2006 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0w View Post
I'm curious to know this as well!
Dude, where did you get that trunk? Gotta have one!

'06 Alpine White M3 Vert
'11 Cosmic Blue MINI Countryman S
SunTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTiger View Post
Dude, where did you get that trunk? Gotta have one!
its a tekarbon trunk
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #11
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
The concern should be the check engine light lol and then the ridiculous smell you'll be receiving.

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
ik47

My Ride: bmw m3 e46
i run cattles on mine. so when you drive there is no smell but when you stop its smells bad.when the top on its not bad at all,little smell but nothing to worry about.
ik47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
ik47

My Ride: bmw m3 e46
and w0W your car looks sick
ik47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
morningisbad

As an update to this, just bought V1 Super Sprint headers and catless section one! I'll post an update on the smell once I get everything installed.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
morningisbad

I got the super sprint headers installed yesterday. Occasionally you catch a whiff of the smell, but its not bad at all, and its not an ever present issue. Sounds amazing though

My setup:
K&N intake
Super Sprint V1 stepped headers
SS s-pipe (resonators added)
SS x-pipe (non-resonated)
SS race muffler
Old 10-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Chea

My Ride: 05 ///M
Catless in a vert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanM3 View Post
The concern should be the check engine light lol and then the ridiculous smell you'll be receiving.
This is why I have not put on my headers yet. Lol other then catted section 1 or a evolve tune what's another way around the check engine light?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
morningisbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chea View Post
This is why I have not put on my headers yet. Lol other then catted section 1 or a evolve tune what's another way around the check engine light?
I think just about anyone can take care of the check engine light for you with a tune. My ESS tune came in the mail yesterday, got them the readouts and HOPEFULLY I'll have a customized tune ready to go today!

But there are a few other ways to get around the issue. I'm pretty sure there is a good sized thread about options. One is an O2 sim, but as far as I know, they're sketchy at best, support is almost non-existent. You can also (and forgive me if I'm saying all of this wrong) use a sparkplug non-fouler to put extra distance between your existing O2 sensor and the flow. The added distance makes the O2 sensor read lower, which can avoid the SES. The non-fouler is pretty cheap if I remember correctly. I never looked too deeply into either of these options though. Figured if I was going to do it, I should do it right and get a tune.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app[/QUOTE]
Old 10-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Chea

My Ride: 05 ///M
Catless in a vert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
I think just about anyone can take care of the check engine light for you with a tune. My ESS tune came in the mail yesterday, got them the readouts and HOPEFULLY I'll have a customized tune ready to go today!

But there are a few other ways to get around the issue. I'm pretty sure there is a good sized thread about options. One is an O2 sim, but as far as I know, they're sketchy at best, support is almost non-existent. You can also (and forgive me if I'm saying all of this wrong) use a sparkplug non-fouler to put extra distance between your existing O2 sensor and the flow. The added distance makes the O2 sensor read lower, which can avoid the SES. The non-fouler is pretty cheap if I remember correctly. I never looked too deeply into either of these options though. Figured if I was going to do it, I should do it right and get a tune.

[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the info. I plan on getting a tune but that will be after I get a csl airbox. Don't want to get a tune twice

Old 10-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
morningisbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chea View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I plan on getting a tune but that will be after I get a csl airbox. Don't want to get a tune twice

Good call

I know I talked to ESS about a retune because I'm hoping their supercharger is in my future, and they said they do a $300 discount on the supercharger because you've already got a tune through them. Basically giving you half back from your initial tune. Not sure how that would go going from a standard tune to an alpha-n one though?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
03BIMMERM3

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Re: Catless in a vert?

I'm running catless with afe race headers, I don't smell gas anymore..I think I'm immune to the scent now. Pick up some 02 simulators or check out some alternatives on YouTube, that will solve ur ses light

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app
03BIMMERM3 is offline   Reply With Quote