E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile
Honda or BMW?

If it helps, I know three people that have sold their e46's and funny enough all bought Hondas.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #42
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
I can totally understand why. I'm sure 90%+ people out there don't know how to work on their cars, don't want to learn, or just don't want to. These are the people that take their cars in to the shops and dealers. They get raped by the dealers (and shops of course since it's a BMW) and they start kicking themselves asking why they bought a car that's so expensive when things go wrong.

I'll admit. I was the kind that didn't know how to work on the car so I paid a few times. Now, I browse these forums multiple times a day learning and trying to help people from what I've learned. Doing it yourself makes maintaining a BMW cheaper. Hell, I was even like this with my Japanese car. Didn't know how to work on it so brought it into the dealers whenever there was a problem.

For those people that don't want to even bother learning, they're always gonna have to pay $$$ and always complaining their cars are so expensive to maintain. That's because they didn't maintain it at all.

Last edited by dznuts007; 06-11-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: "cheaper", not "cheap"
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #43
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Honda or BMW?

I've owned 12 Hondas... Maybe 13? I forget at this point. Haha

I've seen both sides of the spectrum. I've had Hondas that last for YEARS and I've literally done nothing besides put gas in them and change the oil. And I've owned Hondas that I've needed to sink lots of money into. Chances are, you won't but a car is a car.

Keep in mind this is forum. Only a tiny percentage of BMW owners will ever post on here. And like anything else, they'll post the negative but not the positive. It's human nature. No one is gonna come on a car forum and say that they've had their BMW for years and never had a single issue. Same deal on a Honda forum. Look at the threads. It's all common problems/maintenance issues.

I've had my e46 since April. Since then I've replaced the tranny, rear window regulator, and some suspension components. Is it bcuz it's a BMW or the gamble of buying a 12 yr old car? Think about it....

Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #44
328isawesome

Honda or BMW?

Even I you know how to work on cars BMW is more expensive, more sensors, more electronics synchronized with the mechanical components. My uncle who is a mechanic for a living replaced his 330i's engine himself, and his Honda civics engine. The difference is thousands of dollars. How I'm not trying to compare a civic to a 330i but in just saying, when it comes down to you needing an engine block or heads for your car. It's going to cost you way more. Sure you can do a lot of diy's but honestly, are you good enough to replace an engine yourself? If you do can you buy the entire engine without blinking?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #45
328isawesome

Honda or BMW?

Sorry for the wrong words, iPhone autocorrect.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #46
Leezy321

Honda or BMW?

^^^ Hondas are the easiest/cheapest engines to replace. I had it down to a science and could do a complete engine swap in 4 hrs. Not really a fair comparison, but I get your point.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #47
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
It depends what kind of owner you are, I don't make much money but most of it if not all of it goes to my car. I'm just lucky I have great parents don't pay any real bills.

Asian parents
MercForHire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #48
328isawesome

Honda or BMW?

Leezy, you sure have replaced a lot of stuff. I hope you got a good deal on the car.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #49
Leezy321

Honda or BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328isawesome View Post
Leezy, you sure have replaced a lot of stuff. I hope you got a good deal on the car.

Only thing I paid for out of pocket was the window regulator.... The tranny was paid for by the dealer I bought the car from as was the suspension components

Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #50
328isawesome

Honda or BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
Only thing I paid for out of pocket was the window regulator.... The tranny was paid for by the dealer I bought the car from as was the suspension components

Nice!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #51
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
Honda or BMW?

I came from honda to bmw too and I'm in same position as you, believe me it worth the cost but if only you know how to fix your bmw and got the tools and help of some people, but if you can don't get a bmw some times i think serious to sell bmw and get back on honda because of high cost maintenance, but little by little you start putting new part and avoid headaches! So decision is up to you! Here almost every body will offend you and say keep the bimmer, if you can afford it keep it, if you can't get rid of it because is going to drag your wallet with him! Trust me

bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #52
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crespo5190 View Post
If you really have to think about such a dumb question of whether to get a Honda or stick with the Ultimate Driving Machine.... Ugh! You disgust me....

Jeez... Get over yourself, it's just a car.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #53
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by klax View Post
Jeez... Get over yourself, it's just a car.
Actually, around here, it's more of an obsession. I don't spend any time on the Kia or VW forums unless I have a problem with my other cars. I recently spent $2300 replacing the rear diff assembly on my Kia Sorento. I spent quite a while researching whether to keep it or sell it. With my Bimmer, there's really no question, as long as I can fix it for less than buying (edit: another E46, not "a new") Bimmer.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.

Last edited by wildirish317; 06-11-2013 at 09:01 PM.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #54
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328isawesome View Post
If it helps, I know three people that have sold their e46's and funny enough all bought Hondas.

You know a few weirdos. I got rid of 2 Hondas around the time I bought the E46 and I'm certainly not going back there!

Last edited by sea6speed; 06-11-2013 at 09:02 PM.
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #55
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Asian parents
I'll be one of the few people to reveal my ethnicity, yes I am full asian haha
Oh and OP as for BMW or Honda...you can have both!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	510656   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	510657   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	510658   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	510659  

Last edited by BBBoy323i; 06-11-2013 at 10:01 PM.
BBBoy323i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #56
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I'm not one to commit arson normally, but I would throw a Molotov cocktail on that thing GTAIV style.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #57
safi24

My Ride: 2002 325i
Lol at the red civic! Here's the ad i posted on Craigslist. I live near Baltimore MD and im on a busy schedule so i cant drive out too far for someone to test drive the car.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/3864407979.html
safi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #58
328isawesome

Honda or BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
You know a few weirdos. I got rid of 2 Hondas around the time I bought the E46 and I'm certainly not going back there!
Nope, just college students.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #59
saace7

My Ride: is for chicks
That red civic is so fly... I bet he gets all the honeys in that thing!
saace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #60
seigi009

My Ride: 03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7 View Post
$250 to change your brakes?

IF you DIY its about $60 and MAYBE an hour of your time if your not sure what your doing... little more if your changing the sensors too. Thats the difference in "normal" people owning a bmw and rich people... can you afford sending it to a shop every time it needs work? or are you willing to pop the hood and save yourself hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars by doing your own work. That is what makes a BMW affordable to some people in their eyes. The ability to do their own work. If i had to send my BMW to a shop every time i needed work I probably wouldn't be driving a BMW...
1. I appreciate the rant but you are way off. I am not rich by any means and have never taken my BMW to a shop since getting a PPI 2 years ago.

2. I DIY'ed my brakes (I have DIY'ed everything so far, cooling system, valve cover gasket, OFHG, vanos oil line, fluid changes, spark plugs, vacuum hoses, and next week I'll be cleaning my idle valve whatever it's called and changing my transmission fluid)

3. I bought OEM rotors and Textar pads + sensor + fluid + tools for the job hence the $250 estimate. ( (I probably shouldn't have used the word "bill" to describe paying $250 for the brakes). Besides, $250 is cheap for a shop if you consider the rotors as well.

4. I had to spend a lot for the Civic's head gasket because at the time I had no experience working on cars, no place to work on the car even if I did and needed the car asap because I have no other means of transportation.

Last edited by seigi009; 06-12-2013 at 10:18 AM.
seigi009 is offline   Reply With Quote