E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
rawbar

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 vert
dead climate control

I searched the forum and only found reference to checking fuse 28, so before I buy a new climate control, I wanted to make sure there is nothing else I can check.

I just purchased a 2003.5 E46 a week ago, and two days ago, the climate control died. By died I mean no lights, the controls do nothing. Fuse #28 tests fine.

Seems a used unit can be picked up on ebay relatively inexpensively and I watched youtube videos on how to replace the unit, looks pretty simple. I did read though on one forum that you have to 'take a new unit to BMW to be programmed'. Huh?? Seems like this would be a case of just plug in the new one.

So before I order a new unit, is there anything else I can check, and can someone clarify this programming requirement?

Thanks!
rawbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
this happened to me last week!

Take it out... unplug it and plug it back in... worked for me. Just a bad connection to the unit it's self (even if the connections look tight.. take them out and re seat them... if not, than its a dead unit and you'll have to order a new one.. I heard they do fail too)

Check out my ride

Last edited by esberelias; 06-12-2013 at 08:51 AM.
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
rawbar

Thanks, I'll give that a try, looks easy enough that I can step out for lunch from work and attempt it. If I do have to order another one, is there "reprogramming" required, or is it just plug and play?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
I would check that you have power at the plug. Assuming you do and you decide to get a new - or used - unit, you may need to code it to regain the same options/behaviors of your current unit. BMW Scanner can do this for under thirty dollars.

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
rawbar

Thanks Luke, what sort of options/behaviors do you mean? I was thinking of picking up a cable and NCS Expert. Can it be done from that? I guess I'm not really sure what sort of options we're talking about here.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
lmr2wil

See http://www.bmwcarx.com/web/Documento...lClimatico.pdf for too much info on the system. I believe page twelve covers your question.

Luke
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
lmr2wil

Also yes NCS expert should do this.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
rawbar

It's fixed. Removed the unit, unplugged it, plugged it back in and it now works. Strange.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Check into the Final Stage Resistor too...

Old 06-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
effay

My Ride: 323Ci
Yea I would assume final stage resistor if fuse is okay
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
No, the FSU will not kill the display. It only controls the motor.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote