E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #41
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
Oh I get that you got rid of the amp and the speakers, just wondering why run new wires. It's just copper, not sure why the old ones wouldn't have sufficed. That seems like a big job that could be avoided. At least that's what I'm thinking when I replace my amp. I don't really want to run wires to 12 different speakers.

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #42
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Well seeing as the oem wires all go to the hk amp which is no longer there. I can't use the oem wiring without cutting the harness all to hell. This allows for easy and painless trouble shooting. Thats just how I've always ran speakers when going to an amp. I think it's the "correct" way to do these installs. Also I was thinking, I don't think the hk harness has power any longer because I don't have any actual "head unit" and adapter harness installed so you wouldn't get power anyway if I'm correct about the harnes. But I'm not 100% on that part.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #43
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
Well you wouldn't use the power wires or the harness plug or any of that, I'm just talking the + and - wire going to each speaker. You'd just connect those up to your amp's speaker outputs and you wouldn't need to run any. I'm not criticizing the way you did it at all, I was just curious. I just like to save work where possible

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #44
Moosecakes

Okay I see what you mean. You would have to clip connectors and change the ends, no big deal to most, but I wanted to stay away from cutting up wires and **** for this car, to each his own

I'm dealing with a weird issue.. My key drops programming and my lights stay on after turning the car off. I click unlock and the lights go off and my key works, but if I try to lock it sometimes it won't respond and I have to reprogram the key.. No sure wtf is causing this. I think it's my battery since I didn't unplug it for the install and the car was open for 11hrs. Probably killed another cell or something..

Other than that it's great, the sound quality is amazing and clear I have to do some tidying up still but that's no big deal. Ill add pics of the fixed tablet area and amp here soon!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #45
Moosecakes

I think I'm going to pickup a travel size Bluetooth keyboard as well, amazon has one for 20$ and it would be cool to have in my glovebox for quicker searches when streaming and looking for directions with the navigation!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #46
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
One reason I have run all new wires is that I used separate feeds- an amp just for highs- amp for mids and a amp for subs. I would also run an electronic crossover for signal to the amps. It also helps with trouble shooting. ... the less connections you have, the better the outcome of the system (intergrity-and quality).

Good job!!!!! I only had the cd player- no navigation. ( I also have a vert...just a bit different from rear to the trunk)
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #47
Moosecakes

Thanks man! I would love to be able to separate my mids and highs to their own amps, I don't have the money for that right now, that was only possible because I had the OEM nav and HK to sell, I profited on this deal so It didn't cost me anything in the end.

One of these days I will get a newer amp, the kicker I have is an old model. But hey for free I'm not complaining.

I hope this inspires some people to upgrade their audio with out of the box ideas, I wasn't going to pay for the BSW upgrade, and I couldn't stand my tape deck nav. So yea, this is a great alternative to the dynavin and BSW upgrade combo, at probably 1/2 the total cost or less!!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #48
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Please more pics and a video of use

Awesome mod

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #49
Moosecakes

Thanks man! I will snap some more pics of the amp and tablet. It's kinda half mounted right now. I have to fix the hardwire. But ill make a vid ASAP!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #50
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
dude that looks awesome! and the plate to hold the tablet in place in genius idea

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #51
Moosecakes

Thank you! I mocked the tablet up in the car at school today while I was waiting for class and snapped some pics of what it looks like mounted, i'll post them later today!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #52
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
did you notice a difference with the rear seat sound deadening you removed ?
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #53
Moosecakes

Na, it only weighed like 3-5lbs or something like that, It's not any louder inside.. there is still the sound tar that's glued to the body metal itself, this was just like a sound "blanket" basically and unnecessary. I will eventually pull the sound deadening that's behind the rear door inserts as well, but that's another project. (when I dye my interior) lol
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #54
Moosecakes

2nd post updated with pics of tablet and amp! will have better ones once I actually get it mounted nicely and the amp cleaned up.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #55
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Sweet!!
Fyi, your car could have been damaged before it was ever sold the first time...it has happened before.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #56
Moosecakes

That's wild lol, it doesn't bother me, it is good and the subframe is okay
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #57
AnimalMother

My Ride: E46 320Ci
Hey mate, Love your work !!

I'm just wondering how you would go about adding more RCAs if you wanted too add a mono and a sub.

Cheers
AnimalMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #58
Moosecakes

Thank you my friend, and you would do it just like any other system. My amp has a built in sub amp, but also has RCA plug ins to add other amps to the system. I believe most amps have this option. It's been a while since I've looked into audio equipment honestly lol.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #59
AnimalMother

My Ride: E46 320Ci
i might need too look at my amp,

I have a 4 channel Focal amp to go in my car as well as a mono block, so i want too try and use both. I've been thinking about doing this type of install but with an Ipad mini.

i'm just trying too figure out how too connect it all up Etc
AnimalMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #60
Moosecakes

There should be a set of RCA plugs that are somewhere on the amp to add another bridge to the mono block amp. It's essentially the same install that I did, only you're going to have to get seriously custom on your trim area lol. Not as easy a fit as mine. And mine wasn't all that easy haha.

good luck man!