E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #61
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
If you don't have a set of rca's as coming out of the amp-- add an electronic crossover-- . With an electronic crossover you can add multiple amps for your system. Fyi- you don't need a big amp to run highs-(unless you want to fry the tweets every time you listen to the system). I had a small kenwood (I had never seen one this small since)- it was maybe 25w a channel. For my mids I would run a 100-250w amp (2-4ch)- yet again not a lot of power. The big power is just for subs (and do not run vocal frequencies through them-it will ruin your subs)- your subs need to "move" to keep the voice coils cool (all the voice coil is, is a former wrapped in epoxy coated wire--you melt the epoxy you ruin the sub). My biggest system didn't have the power I wanted -only about a 1000w but I had 4-15's and 4-12's with 4 amps, 4 mids and 4 tweets. I've had bigger wattage systems since then, but less speakers. (2-15's with a Jbl 360Gtq amp will pound)
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #62
hinds90

My Ride: E46
I want to do this so bad just seems so complicated. What would you guys recommend for a simple head unit, amp, and speaker upgrade. I just want the ability to Bluemont.
hinds90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #63
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
It's easier than a traditional deck honestly, I'm hardwiring a car charger in with 2 wires, then an aux rca cable and bam done.

Alpine is always my reccomendation to everyone for headunit, infinity, focal, alpine are my favorite speakers, focal if your ballin, amp... anything that suits your power needs honestly. a 300w 4ch amp is more than enough for the speakers and a 400w monoblock for subs.

I want to keep this thread on topic, if you need some help with the traditional setup PM me I'll help you out, but let's keep this thread focused on what it is. I'm glad to help out via PM though

Thanks guys I appreciate it, no one likes sifting through 10 pages of randomness to find info on the topic lol.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #64
n2siast

My Ride: 02 330ci
Good job man, nice to see others doing this.

I've done the same thing in installing the Galaxy tab, but I integrated mine into the factory HK setup, keeping the Business CD and moving it to the glove compartment so that I can utilize the radio, CD Player if needed and most important of all, the steering wheel controls just for the volume and hardwired everything into the car so it charges while the car is on.

Last edited by n2siast; 07-05-2013 at 05:13 PM.
n2siast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #65
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
are you putting the trunk liner/carpet on top of the amp or are you leaving it without it? Just wondering if it would over heat the amp on a hot day plus use

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #66
Moosecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast View Post
Good job man, nice to see others doing this.

I've done the same thing in installing the Galaxy tab, but I integrated mine into the factory HK setup, keeping the Business CD and moving it to the glove compartment so that I can utilize the radio, CD Player if needed and most important of all, the steering wheel controls just for the volume and hardwired everything into the car so it charges while the car is on.
Very nice! I'm not too concerned with the volume controls on the wheel, I actually want single button upper trim since I don't use my CC ever lol. I love the mod, my car charger just came in, so it's gonna get hardwired next weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
are you putting the trunk liner/carpet on top of the amp or are you leaving it without it? Just wondering if it would over heat the amp on a hot day plus use
Yes, the liner/carpet is sitting on top of the amp, and yes it overheated the night we drove home, 2hr drive it cut out 2 mins before our house. There was also a ton of **** in my trunk which didn't help, it's since not overheated yet, but I am going to move it on top of the carpet or something.. not sure yet.

I don't suggest amps under the liners in our cars, not enough room lol.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #67
Moosecakes

Car charger showed up today, I'll be hardwiring the entire unit to the car instead of trying to chop up a USB cord lol.. I'll have pics next weekend!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #68
esberelias

why did you order a iphone charger for Samsung device??? This is blasphemy! lol

Check out my ride
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #69
Moosecakes

haha not an iphone charger at first they look the same, we tried my wifes 4s charger since I butchered our charger and lost the other one for our tablets..

pfft everyone knows the only iphone charger that matters is the lightning plug bahaha 5 or gtfo lmao.

Actually now that I think of it... there is a dual usb car charging plug sitting in my battery cover tray lol... ****, maybe i'll just use that so I can run my female USB extension to my center console like I had originally planed to do.. hmmmm... I found our other charger today unpacking a box

Last edited by Moosecakes; 07-05-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #70
esberelias

Ohh the tablet actually uses its own unique styled charger huh... I thought it was a micro USB port like the rest of the android devices

Check out my ride
Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #71
Moosecakes

CORRECT! I'm actually going to use a small dual usb car charging plug in I have had forever and connect my tablet USB charger, *I found my wifes after I had ordered another already for her lol* so we have 2, and I can also run my female usb plug extension into my center console and mount it under the rubber pad for a universal USB charger

I'll keep the car charger I bought in the glovebox for my wife when we go on trips and sht. Also going to order a mini travel size bluetooth keyboard

Last edited by Moosecakes; 07-06-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #72
esberelias

ORDER THIS!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Wireles...item19dee0459b

I have it and use it for my HTPC and it works great.

I've tried it on my Nexus 7 and even the mouse cursor works on android.. It's awesome!

EDIT: It's backlit too! haha

Check out my ride

Last edited by esberelias; 07-06-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #73
Moosecakes

Oh damn!! Thanks man! That is perfect! Putting it on my list of **** to buy!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #74
Moosecakes

Well I have decided to use my dual usb car charger I bought years ago and forgot about until the other day, I found my second usb tablet charger, so I'm going to be hardwiring the charger and running the tablet's USB charger, as well as running my 6' female usb port cord to my center console like originally planned. I have some other errands to run for another little project of mine next saturday so I'm hoping to at the very least get the tablet 100% mounted and hardwired and fix this weird ass key issue im having...

stay tuned for updates!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #75
Moosecakes

Headed down tomorrow to finish up the install and swap batteries to hopefully solve my issue..
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #76
Moosecakes

Bah, well fixed my issue, amp has a power selection switch and it was set to constant... switched it to 12v and bam everything worked like it should, got my front speakers fixed, and my sub installed. Can't believe a little hidden switch was causing me that much trouble lol..

No hardwire yet.. this weekend I hope. Had other projects to work on while in eugene this time too.