E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
dzenko1987

My Ride: 330ci Clubsport
Buying from Jemson Motors - NSW Syd

Gents,

I am located in Perth WA. There is a BM that I am eyeing at Jemson Motors Syd. In order for me to make an informed decision I was hoping for some feedback from Sydney locals on Jemson Motors.

Also, could anyone also please recommend a company that is happy to go to the dealership and inspect the vehicle for me? Never bought interstate before...

Thank you all in advance.
dzenko1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
aussie-320ci

My Ride: 2002 320Ci
Don't forget that in WA if you haven't owned the vehicle for 12 months you can't register it.
aussie-320ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Rajvosa

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-320ci View Post
Don't forget that in WA if you haven't owned the vehicle for 12 months you can't register it.
Lol since when?
Last 4 cars all bought over east and taken over pits to get registered. When car comes into wa, it's considered unlicensed hence the need to take over the pits.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
dzenko1987

Quote:
That's a little concerning. Is this factual?
Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
aussie-320ci

Here: But as another poster suggested, there may be loopholes.
I drove my car over from Queensland and when I transferred the Rego I had to show DoT proof I had owned the vehicle for more than 12 months.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20881.asp

"The vehicle must meet the following criteria:
There is evidence that the vehicle is currently licensed in your name and has been for a continuous period of at least 12 months at the time of application (unless the vehicle is less than 12 months old).
We will accept any of the following issued in your name, dated more that 12 months ago:
vehicle licence or renewal document; both current and previous;
an offer to purchase, bill of sale or receipt;
an inspection receipt from a licensing authority or Approved Inspection Station; or
an original owner's hand book or similar, issued with a factory new vehicle."
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!

Had no idea WA was so... Messed...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Rajvosa

That's a good rule. It's basically there for people that move to wa and being their car accross. They don't need to re licence it (provided they owned it for 12 months)

Others like myself who buy over east to save money will need to pass pits.

Last edited by Rajvosa; 06-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Rajvosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
dzenko1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
That's a good rule. It's basically there for people that move to wa and being their car accross. They don't need to re licence it (provided they owned it for 12 months)

Others like myself who buy over east to save money will need to pass pits.
I will go with this. Thanks mate

Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
WA_Matt

My Ride: Elise, 964 & Rodeo
Quote:
As others have indicated, this is completely false.

There are two scenarios:
1. If you have previously been living interstate for more than 12 months and have owned and registered the car interstate for more than 12 months, then you can bring that car to WA and just fill in paperwork to transfer the car to WA registration.
2. If the above is false then the car will need to be inspected by the pits and can then be registered in WA.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that two different scenarios exists and they should make it consistent, but there you go anyway. No problems buying cars from over east and registering them here.

There is a bit of confusion as to whether you can drive a car on interstate plates in WA with a WA license. I've been told by other people that you can drive a car that you have bought from interstate, and is still registered in that state, for three months around WA, during or after which the rego needs to be transfered. However, when I rang up the DPI concerning this I was told that I was not allowed to drive an interstate registered car in WA, using my WA license, at all. That seems stupid though so I'm not sure what to believe.
WA_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
aussie-320ci

^ got it. Thanks.
Their web site is really confusing, but the key is the bit about not needing the inspection.

I must say in moving to WA it seemed like moving to another country.

The clanger was on the receipt from when I surrendered my Queensland plates.
It said, "Reason: Eastern States Plates" That says it all.

Cheers.

Last edited by aussie-320ci; 06-14-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Rajvosa

As for driving the interstate car with WA licence;
The car is considered unlicensed. I have driven all my cars while waiting to take over the pits and never been bothered by cops. But it's simple, you get one of those 48 hour permits and that way ur covered. Even the pits guy made me buy a permit before he would inspect my car, even though I drove it there without one lol

Last edited by Rajvosa; 06-14-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Rajvosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
No-one has yet addressed the op's original enquiry?
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo

I loved the fact my heavily modded car could be re-rego'd without the need of a RWC / pits inspection. Yet my brand new car had to go over the Pitts experience....

OP, if you do proceed to purchase the car (google: Pre Purchase Inspections, arrange for an indi to complete job) all you need from the owner is a signed receipt with VIN/Engine #/Sellers address, details etc. if they leave the plates on the car then YOU can get the NSW rego refund.

I used CEVA to transport 3 cars from VIC to WA (by rail) who were very good & includes insurance. Once car arrives, arrange with WA department of transport for a 48hr move permit & see if you can get the car over the pits ($90 if car 3+ yrs old) within this period.

If car passes, you then have to pay 6 or 12 months rego AND the stamp duty for purchasing the car. Do not pay or worry about completing any NSW department of road/rego forms.

There is a stamp duty calculator on the website