E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
PosingOwl

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Service Engine Soon

Hey everone,

Earlier today I changed out the air filter and sprayed some cleaning stuff into the vents. I bought everything from O reilly(spelling). The air filter is Wix i believe cost about 25 dollars or so. Thing is after I changed it it was working fine, but went to go get dinner, the service engine soon light came on? Now I am worried that I messed something up. Is there a way to figure this out without taking it to a dealership. Closest one is over a hour away.

Thanks
PosingOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Reese91

My Ride: 2003 330I
cabin air filter or engine air filter? did you spray anything onto the MAF which was not MAF cleaner?(you might have killed your MAF unit if so.)
Reese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Go to your local AutoZone or local parts place. Most all have a free code reading service. They will plug a machine into your OBDII and read the code causing the fault. They may not reset it for you... But they will give you the code and then you can look it up to see what it is.... FREE!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
PosingOwl

I changed out the engine air filter, the old one was a little smaller than the new one, but it was the one that they gave me. Is there a difference between 325i an 325xi? Also I took off the top piece of the cabin air filter and sprayed the filter with the vent cleaner (per instructions from the employee at the auto store). Maybe that did it? Where exactly is the MAF? I hope I didnt just make a large screw up. :-(

Is there a way to check the MAF real quick? Also I will head to autozone tomorrow morning.

Last edited by PosingOwl; 06-14-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Big Rick

Don't stay up worrying... The MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) is downstream from your engine air filter for the engine. You should NOT spray anything into that! I thought you meant the cabin air filter... I spray some vent freshener when I replace my cabin air filter. The MAF is VERY sensitive about stuff sprayed onto it. They make a MAF cleaner spray. That is the ONLY thing you should spray onto it. Using carb cleaner or brake cleaner will kill it.

You will know for sure when you get the code read tomorrow. If it is the culprit... Before you leave buy some MAF cleaner. Then take the hose off of your air filter that leads to the engine. The part you want is what has a plug plugged into the top of the hose. (Where the MAF is) Take that piece out and spray the crap out of it with MAF cleaner and see what happens.

Post back and let us know...

EDIT:

MAF sort of under the screwdriver here...

What it looks like on the inside....

Last edited by Big Rick; 06-14-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Reese91

Ok you did 2 different things:

1: Installed a new engine air filter
2: sprayed some sort of "vent" cleaner onto your cabin air filter(if it was dirty I would replace it and not listen to the average autostore employee) BUT this shouldn't have anything to do with your SES light.

head to a local auto store and ask them if you can use their OBD II reader. Plug this into your OBD II port located under your dash on the drivers side and is covered by a small plastic cover. Plug in the reader and follow all instructions and write down the codes that it is telling you. post these codes in this thread so that we can see what exactly is your issue and advise you what your issue is.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Reese91

also don't have your car on when you spray maf cleaner on it or it might fry the maf too!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese91 View Post
also don't have your car on when you spray maf cleaner on it or it might fry the maf too!
Good point! You need to take it out... Don't let anything except the spray clean it... You can shake it dry.. Then let it air dry, then reinstall it.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
PosingOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Don't stay up worrying... The MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) is downstream from your engine air filter for the engine. You should NOT spray anything into that!
Yeah I did not spray anything on the Engine Air Filter. I sprayed it on the Cabin Air Filter. I will buy some of the MAF cleaner and do what you said. But where is the MAF is it right next to the Engine Air Filter?

And I am just a little worried that I might have ****ed something up. Still learning little by little.

Thanks for the pics, I replaced the cabin air filter the other week. Sometimes when I turned on the ac I would get a funky smell the first few minutes. Smelled like dirty socks or something. Thats why I used the cleaner.

Last edited by PosingOwl; 06-14-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosingOwl View Post
I will buy some of the MAF cleaner and do what you said. But where is the MAF is it right next to the Engine Air Filter?
Look at the pictures above....
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
I'm thinking that when you changed your air filter you probably moved around the intake boot while taking the air filter housing off. The boot might have been on it's last leg and ripped at a weak point and now you're having an air leak. But, just like everyone said, need to get the codes read to find out why the SES light went one.

Your car is 9 years old now and if the intake boots have not been replaced, might be a good time to buy some new ones and replace them while you're doing all this. They tend to crack around the ribbed area over time since it gets dry and brittle. Another thing to think about is removing your ICV and throttle body and cleaning them out too since you're gonna have the boots out if you decide to replace them. Otherwise you'll have to remove them again and the lower boot hose clamps are in a tight spot.

Hope you find out the issue and get it all fixed!
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznuts007 View Post
I'm thinking that when you changed your air filter you probably moved around the intake boot while taking the air filter housing off. The boot might have been on it's last leg and ripped at a weak point and now you're having an air leak. But, just like everyone said, need to get the codes read to find out why the SES light went one.

Your car is 9 years old now...
This

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Service Engine Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
This
This +1

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Re: Service Engine Soon

Id have to agree too. Feel the rubber boots, both lower and upper for stiffness. If stiff as a corpse, then hes probably right about ripped boot. That rubber intake tubing that runs to engine from intake filter housing is 2 pieces. Just swap both. The maf is the weird unit directly after the intake filter with an electrical plug connected to it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
PosingOwl

Just got done at autozone. We checked the code, saw the light, told me to slightly rev the engine a little. During this apparently the light went off. He said it was due to the weather change.

None the less i will still probably change them out. He said if it happens again to come back in.

Sent from my X501_USA_RS using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosingOwl View Post
Yeah I did not spray anything on the Engine Air Filter. I sprayed it on the Cabin Air Filter. I will buy some of the MAF cleaner and do what you said. But where is the MAF is it right next to the Engine Air Filter?

And I am just a little worried that I might have ****ed something up. Still learning little by little.

Thanks for the pics, I replaced the cabin air filter the other week. Sometimes when I turned on the ac I would get a funky smell the first few minutes. Smelled like dirty socks or something. Thats why I used the cleaner.
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FOR ANY REASON TO DO ANY JOB ANYWHERE ON THIS CAR until you pull codes to see what the car is telling you is wrong.

The car is crying because it stubbed its toe, and you are prepping for open heart surgery. Before you call an ambulance because your kid has a splinter, see if you can figure out why the kid is crying, holding his finger in the other hand and shaking it up and down means this is where you want to begin looking.

The car has a diagnostic system that is trying to tell you if you need a bandaid or a fully equipped surgical center.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
NumbaOneNewb

Yeah, the same system that will unintentionally tell you that a part is faulty and you later find out it wasn't. If some take those codes literally, it could easily lead you to chasing after the code until you've swapped enough parts where itll give you an error code not related to a part like "engine running lean".

So the guy at AutoZone seriously told you it was the weather? Oh come on man. So what does that mean? You have no choice but to deal with it? Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 06-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
NumbaOneNewb

Look. let me tell you what's happening here. the guy there was like thinking to himself, "man, I'm about to go on my lunch break. I'm hungry, and this better be quick." Hooks it up to your car. "crap, its one of those codes that is too general. engine running too lean? man I dont' want to stand around and theorize with this guy on what it could be. Oh I got an idea." Hey sir, can you please rev your engine for me? Ok thanks. "alright I'll clear the code out now and bada bing bada boom. that will hold him off for at least a day. Yeah, lunch time." So telling you the weather decided to light up your dash today was the simplest and probably used quite often to get himself out of a situation. I'm sure had it been a code telling you some mechanical or sensor part failed, he would've been fine telling it to you. watch, when it lights up again and you eventually get another scan, it's going to be about engine lean or too rich type of code.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 06-15-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
JD I completely agree with your analogy. You just don't go tearing into SES generating issues without diagnostic evidence that you're headed down the right road. It would suck to wake up with a leg amputation only because you stubbed a toe.

If that code went away you can still find out what it was. Depending on the tool you're using to view the codes you may not be able to see all the stored codes. BMW specific tools, however can see all the stored codes and how many times they were generated.

I would say that with regards to the intake boots, replacing them with cars that are 10 years old are more like taking cholesterol medication than performing open heart surgery though.

Even in mild climates like I live in they're beginning to show signs of failure. I just pulled mine yesterday to inspect and I'll be ordering replacements this weekend. You can fairly easily pull the upper intake hose, the one with the bellows section in it. Each of the ridges are cracking. It's not all the way through yet, but not far down the road it will be. That would likely generate a P0174 code if a crack did develop. I've observed upper intake boot cracks that seem to go away for a while after the engine has warmed, the bellows section settles sealing the crack after the air intake has been fussed with.

It's all speculation though, unless I was standing in front of the engine bay with my tools.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Look. let me tell you what's happening here. the guy there was like thinking to himself, "man, I'm about to go on my lunch break. I'm hungry, and this better be quick." Hooks it up to your car. "crap, its one of those codes that is too general. engine running too lean? man I dont' want to stand around and theorize with this guy on what it could be. Oh I got an idea." Hey sir, can you please rev your engine for me? Ok thanks. "alright I'll clear the code out now and bada bing bada boom. that will hold him off for at least a day. Yeah, lunch time." So telling you the weather decided to light up your dash today was the simplest and probably used quite often to get himself out of a situation. I'm sure had it been a code telling you some mechanical or sensor part failed, he would've been fine telling it to you. watch, when it lights up again and you eventually get another scan, it's going to be about engine lean or too rich type of code.
Totally agree! I've been through seasons with no issue, the guy just wanted to send you on your way. If you have the code come back, have it read and bring it hear and we can get more of an idea of what it could be.