E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Your Dad is an artist. No problem with that, but he's not a mechanic. First get a code reader, such as PASoft, it will help you figure out exactly what's wrong. Second, get rid of the CAI, it's not helping. Go back to stock. BMW produced a performance car, no need for performance add-ons. If you want more hp, do an engine swap for an S54 or a Chevy LSx.

Don't replace the O2 sensors just because you get an O2 sensor code. If you clear the code, and it keeps coming back imediatly, then you can replace them. I had an issue that threw O2 codes, but it turned out to be something else.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #22
diM3tri

My Ride: 330ci + stg2 Scoobie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Your Dad is an artist. No problem with that, but he's not a mechanic. First get a code reader, such as PASoft, it will help you figure out exactly what's wrong. Second, get rid of the CAI, it's not helping. Go back to stock. BMW produced a performance car, no need for performance add-ons. If you want more hp, do an engine swap for an S54 or a Chevy LSx.

Don't replace the O2 sensors just because you get an O2 sensor code. If you clear the code, and it keeps coming back imediatly, then you can replace them. I had an issue that threw O2 codes, but it turned out to be something else.
The fact that I'm getting such poor gas mileage and having the code kinda makes me skeptical. I think I'm gonna do plugs first tomorrow then see if the SES goes away. Ill put the stock air filter back on and see what happens

Current Cars:
'99 Big Turbo B5 A4 (the red one) ^^^
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
diM3tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #23
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
CAI always throws CELs
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #24
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone8ty View Post
CAI always throws CELs
Surprisingly MAF wasn't a code I was getting even though its completely removed. I just got o2 sensors and some a/c circuit board thing. Plugs I'm doing just for fun. Haha

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #25
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
CAI dont always throw error. I made mine going off a DIY somewhere on this forum. piped tubing from maf all the way down by left fog light. no issues for a year now.

im really surprised you arent getting a light for maf. thats so odd. now if you dont have maf on, them how does your system run efficiently without knowing how much air is entering? I know that when maf is disabled, the dme runs off preset mappings, but that should severely impact mpgs and performance. the dme can no longer make adjustments to the car seeing as it is like being blind.

now Im also suspecting now that maybe its related to your o2s error. I always thought the pre cat o2s measure how well the engine is burning up its mixture, informing the dme so that it could make adjustments. if the o2s are working but try and report that the car isnt being efficient, all its doing is reporting to deaf ears.

when my maf started acting up, it didn't throw a maf code either. it told me my o2s were shot, but at that time I was having other issues as well butt yeah, I never got maf errors
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
CAI dont always throw error. I made mine going off a DIY somewhere on this forum. piped tubing from maf all the way down by left fog light. no issues for a year now.

im really surprised you arent getting a light for maf. thats so odd. now if you dont have maf on, them how does your system run efficiently without knowing how much air is entering? I know that when maf is disabled, the dme runs off preset mappings, but that should severely impact mpgs and performance. the dme can no longer make adjustments to the car seeing as it is like being blind.

now Im also suspecting now that maybe its related to your o2s error. I always thought the pre cat o2s measure how well the engine is burning up its mixture, informing the dme so that it could make adjustments. if the o2s are working but try and report that the car isnt being efficient, all its doing is reporting to deaf ears.

when my maf started acting up, it didn't throw a maf code either. it told me my o2s were shot, but at that time I was having other issues as well butt yeah, I never got maf errors
I'll put my new plugs in tomorrow and replace the MAF to see what happens. I haven't noticed any change in performance or mileage with the MAF on or off. Except a super rough idle at start with the maf on

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #27
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
aside from the rough idle, see if that o2 error shows its ugly face. if not blame the maf. then with a new maf, perhaps you can see the benefits of the maf
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #28
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
aside from the rough idle, see if that o2 error shows its ugly face. if not blame the maf. then with a new maf, perhaps you can see the benefits of the maf
Maybe my MAF was just bad

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #29
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
You need to actually post the DTC/CEL codes you are reading along with any Freeze Frame data if the tool you are using supports Freeze Frame data, not some general mention of a sensor mentioned in the DTC. Just because a sensor is mentioned in the DTC does not mean the sensor is bad or faulty. More often than not the sensors are not actually the problem, buy even seasoned mechanics knee jerk and jump on a sensor replacement party.

As for your mileage issue and cold start issue, the very first thing you should do is confirm your engine coolant temperature is correct. You cannot do this with the dash temp gauge, you need use the Hidden OBC Menu and/or a scan tool that reads real time data.

As for scan tools and software, read this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Also suggest you read the 1st & 3rd links below in my signature.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote