E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
mlah384

My Ride: 2001 330i
Central locking quit working after checking fuses

My keys quit working. I replaced battery in the keys. The keys are not responding to reprogramming. So I checked the fuses on the central locking system and now none of the power windows nor locks work... How do I get the central locking system to start back working with the interior controls?

I'm stuck with all windows down and they will not roll up...

Thanks...
mlah384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Make sure you put the fuse back in the correct position.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Re: Central locking quit working after checking fuses

Have you tried rolling them up with the car started?

Are you 100% sure that the battery is the correct one used to replace it? And im not sure if you replaced it with a rechargeable or non rechargeable battery. I've always wondered if there would be a problem with the system attempting to charge the battery if a non rechargeable battery was used

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 06-15-2013 at 06:45 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
mlah384

Correct position? I put them back in the same spot... Are they directional? How do I find out the proper direction? I've never heard of a directional fuse?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
mlah384

Power windows and power locks are totally dead with car started...
Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
jfoj

Not direction, but if I could have $5 for every situaiton where someone removed a fuse to check or replace it and claimed they put it back in the proper location, I would have a nice mod/maintenance budget!

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
NumbaOneNewb

Have you attempted to roll windows up by sticking key in lock on driver door and turning it to the right and holding it there

Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
mlah384

Fuses are in correct spot
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
jfoj

Pull fuse again, check that is did not blow, leave it out for 5 minutes, then reinsert and try again.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
NumbaOneNewb

While youre at it,dont just check the obvious fuses. Look into the
Fuses related to the thiefproofing system , fuse 49 &67 I think
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

Just an odd question here. Did you pull the fuse out when your key was in the ignition by chance?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Just an odd question here. Did you pull the fuse out when your key was in the ignition by chance?
What would that have to do with anything? I don't think the OP would be that dumb to check with the car on.

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

hence the "just an odd question" explanation prior to my question. and? what would your statement "what would that have to do with anything?" have to do with anything?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
mlah384

Sorry for the late reply... I pulled all the fuses back out, checked them with a meter, they all tested fine... I put them back in, and it started working... weird, weird, weird....

Also, I've read that if you lock all the doors and can still open the fuel door then the fuse is blown that goes to the fuel door actuator or either the actuator itself is bad? That this can cause the keyless entry to not work?

I've been unable to locate the fuse to the fuel door actuator...

The batteries that came out of the keys tested fine on the meter (3.0v and 3.3v) I replaced the 3.0v with a new battery but it will not program. I cannot figure out why the key will not program...

Last edited by mlah384; 06-15-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
NumbaOneNewb

well I'm glad members on here were persistent in pushing you to continue and check your fuses. so, next problem. why it isnt initializing? well, did you check the fuses? jk. so both lock unlock working? check fuse 49. if that didnt do anything, I'm not sure myself. now you had 2 keys right? have you tried switching the key you use to start the procedure? that might help
Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
scottjoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
Sorry for the late reply... I pulled all the fuses back out, checked them with a meter, they all tested fine... I put them back in, and it started working... weird, weird, weird....

Also, I've read that if you lock all the doors and can still open the fuel door then the fuse is blown that goes to the fuel door actuator or either the actuator itself is bad? That this can cause the keyless entry to not work?

I've been unable to locate the fuse to the fuel door actuator...

The batteries that came out of the keys tested fine on the meter (3.0v and 3.3v) I replaced the 3.0v with a new battery but it will not program. I cannot figure out why the key will not program...
The fuel flap actuator is powered from the same fuse as the door locks. If the there is no fuse for the door locks then the flap won't work either.

I keep telling people the battery's in the fobs are not the problem and rarely go bad. After repairing almost 100 of them I rarely need to replace it. Other stuff goes bad, but, not that. The can't sync problem could be in the car and not with the remote. Have you read my web page on the subject www.bmwgm5.com/no_fob.htm

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-16-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
mlah384

Unfortunately when I opened the main key, the circuit board was damaged so I'm stuck with only the back up key (has red strip on back). Is this key able to be synced? or does the master key have to be synced with it or I'm out of luck?

Thanks for the link scottjoh, I read through it and I think the amplifier might be my problem? Especially since the battery in both keys were fine... they just quit working. The main key that I always used slowly got weaker and weaker as if the battery were going dead. It wouldnt always work, or you had to be very close to car for it to work. Then one day it stopped working totally.. so could the amplifier go out slowly like that?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
scottjoh

Quote:
Is this key able to be synced? or does the master key have to be synced with it or I'm out of luck?
What you call the master key does not need to be synced in order to sync other keys. You only need a key that is able to start the car to begin the sync process.

Quote:
Thanks for the link scottjoh, I read through it and I think the amplifier might be my problem? Especially since the battery in both keys were fine... they just quit working. The main key that I always used slowly got weaker and weaker as if the battery were going dead. It wouldnt always work, or you had to be very close to car for it to work. Then one day it stopped working totally.. so could the amplifier go out slowly like that?
I have not heard of the amplifier failing that way. That is usually a key problem.

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
mlah384

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
What you call the master key does not need to be synced in order to sync other keys. You only need a key that is able to start the car to begin the sync process.

I have not heard of the amplifier failing that way. That is usually a key problem.
Neither key worked... One wasnt used for years, the other I used daily and it died slowly. I opened both keys up and both batteries tested fine. I soldered new battery in non-damaged key just incase the old battery had problems under load. And it will not program. Even when I hold my mouth just right... I'm at a loss...
Old 06-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
scottjoh

Quote:
Neither key worked... One wasnt used for years, the other I used daily and it died slowly. I opened both keys up and both batteries tested fine. I soldered new battery in non-damaged key just incase the old battery had problems under load. And it will not program. Even when I hold my mouth just right... I'm at a loss...
From your description I'm pretty sure the key fob it bad. Take them to the auto parts store. Many stores have remote testers these days or contact me via PM to arrange testing and repair.

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-16-2013 at 03:25 PM.