E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AK HI ID OR WA

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
What are some good/scenic drives in the Northwest?

After the Leavenworth drive, I am looking for some new roads to tool around on.

So where do you go to get your drive on?

US 2 is supposed to be good.
US 101 down the Oregon Coast
US 101 near Lake Crescent is IMO excellent
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
allwheelsdriven

My Ride: 330i zhp sapphire
chuckanut!
Highway 20
i90 past Ellensburg isn't particularly scenic but the pavement is nice
Old 06-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
jiggz

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Canyon Road (Highway 821) between Ellensburg and Yakima is one of the best I know of - very scenic & a great driving road. It runs right alongside the Yakima river as it carves it's way through the canyons & rolling hills.

The only downside - the state patrol patrols it heavily, or at least they used to. My friend got a ticket in there and I was pulled over in there, but luckily given a warning.
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Any drive up or down the coast line is always good. If you're up for the trek, drive down the coast line to Astoria, OR. Such a beautiful place and you can drive over one of the largest bridges in Oregon, the bitch is HUGE! I got to do the s2k cruise with a friend in his car a couple years back and that alone made the trip worth the drive.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Grendelsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosecakes View Post
Any drive up or down the coast line is always good. If you're up for the trek, drive down the coast line to Astoria, OR. Such a beautiful place and you can drive over one of the largest bridges in Oregon, the bitch is HUGE! I got to do the s2k cruise with a friend in his car a couple years back and that alone made the trip worth the drive.
+1 for the Oregon coast. Did that in my old car and that is some beautiful coastline.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Highway 20 out of Burlington over the Cascades into Winthrop, then down to Twisp and over to Omak on the Mountain Loop Highway (still highway 20), then down the Okanogan River to Brewster (highway 97), then follow the Columbia River back to Wenatchee and then Highway 2 back over to Everett.

If you leave early in the morning you can hit the Iron Skillet in Sedro Woolley for Breakfast, or hit the Duck Inn in Winthrop for lunch. There are several good places to eat in Leavenworth before you head back over the pass on highway 2.

It's about a 400 mile drive so it's not for the timid but it is one of the best loop drives in the state.

The section of road between Newhalem and Mazama has some of the best twisties driving in this state especially just outside of the Ross Lake area.
Map of Cascade Loop
-----

Another drive I'd recommend is to take the Hood Canal bridge driving highway 104 then joins 101 out just past Port Angeles, then take Highway 112 out to Sekiu (or continue out to Neah Bay) and back toward Forks on 112 and then to 113 and back to 101, then head down the coast on 101 to Aberdeen/Hoquiam and then back over toward Olympia and then back to Seattle. Another loop drive with stunning scenery but you'll be in the saddle a long time.

The section of road on 112 has some outstanding twisties but you need to time your drive so that you take this between about 10am and 2pm to avoid the onslaught of fishing traffic and commuter traffic. You could shorten the drive by about an hour and a half by eliminating this excursion but I drive 112 just to drive 112. You could also shorten it by just driving to Sekiu and back but the drive to Neah Bay is nice just to sight see.
Map of Coastal Loop Drive

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Grendelsbane

Damn...that Hwy 20 run looks very intriguing! I may have to do that one ASAP!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Chea

My Ride: 05 ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
Damn...that Hwy 20 run looks very intriguing! I may have to do that one ASAP!
I vote that you put this drive together