E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #41
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Dude it's not like elections are spontaneous. If you know that tomorrow morning you are going to the polls, grab your ID. You don't carry your passport around daily right, but you definitely grab it the morning of your flight to Thailand.
Now I get to fly to Thailand to vote?

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #42
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Incorrect. Licensing is a privilege restriction placed on a RIGHT to move. Standardized tests are a regulation on the pursuit of happiness. Liquor is a restriction placed on the right to pursue happiness.
Quote:
The freedom of movement act encompasses all movement between the borders of this country, including driving. Driving is a right. To OBTAIN a license is a privilege. Everyone has the right to drive (including a 5 year old) on private property. The state/country can only regulate driving on public roads. You need ID to travel BTW.
This is some of the dumbest **** I have read. Tests and liquor are obstructions to happiness. GTFO. And driving is right? Haha...next you will claim drinking and driving is a right.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #43
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Supreme Court Justices Block Law Requiring Voters to Prove Citizenship

Your understanding of law in barely on a cellular level so I don't expect you to comprehend even the simplest of things. Shooting someone on private property is illegal. Drinking and driving on your own ranch is legal. Understand the difference?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #44
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Does the government provide free paperwork for me to exercise my 2nd amendment right? No. It cost me $40 for the application, $75 for fingerprinting, and $15 for every NICS check everytime I buy a gun...which by the way, is a right. If you are going to have an argument, make sure it's consistent.
I suggest you read the second amendment more carefully.

It is the right to bare arms, not the right to freely buy them.

There is nothing that prohibits you from making your own arms.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #45
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post

Nice try, creative, but a good attempt nonetheless. So I can make my own 40 round magazine in NY?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-18-2013 at 01:39 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #46
badfast

Quote:
Your understanding of law in barely on a cellular level so I don't expect you to comprehend even the simplest of things. Shooting someone on private property is illegal. Drinking and driving on your own ranch is legal. Understand the difference?

Oh so sensitive. Nice report!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #47
NFRs2000nyc

I report posts now because I got tired of getting suspensions for other people's rustling, so now I do it myself. It has nothing to do with me being insulted. Love the insult in the PM though. Must be rough living in your parents basement and having daddy pay insurance for your 10 year old BMW.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-18-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
badfast

Quote:
I report posts now because I got tired of getting suspensions for other people's rustling, so now I do it myself. It has nothing to do with me being insulted. Love the insult in the PM though. Must be rough living in your parents basement and having daddy pay insurance for your 10 year old BMW.
You are the one whose jimmies get rustled. No problem on the private message though. Just recommended that you grow up. Life isn't rough at all. Certainly better than being a fry boy at my parent's restaurant and try to pass it off as my own. How is it to live a lie? It is ok Mr. Barenboim.

Last edited by badfast; 06-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #49
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
You are the one whose jimmies get rustled. No problem on the private message though. Just recommended that you grow up. Life isn't rough at all. Certainly better than being a fry boy at my parent's restaurant and try to pass it off as my own. How is it to live a lie? It is ok Mr. Barenboim.
My life would be a lot easier if my parents owned a restaurant.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-18-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #50
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:

The right to bear arms is plainly written in the second amendment. There is no plainly written right to vote that I can think of off hand. Additionally, people can lose their right to vote just like they can lose their right to bear arms.

If requiring ID is akin to a poll tax*, which is an infringement on the right to vote (which you argue is unconstitutional) then how are these gun fees not an infringement on the right to bear arms?

*mind you, in all of the hearings and trials over this over the years not ONE person was able to be produced that could testify that he/she couldn't afford to get ID and would thus be prevented from legally voting. Not ONE person.

Last edited by Act of God; 06-18-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #51
badfast

Quote:
My life would be a lot easier if my parents owned a restaurant.
I suppose it would. Then you can focus on all the other fields you are a leading expert in: politics, law, firearms, economics, healthcare....I know I am forgetting some.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #52
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
The right to bear arms is plainly written in the second amendment. There is no plainly written right to vote that I can think of off hand. Additionally, people can lose their right to vote just like they can lose their right to bear arms.
I was not refuting the right to bare arms. It was the right to purchase them without restriction.

As for the right to vote. Section 2 of the 14th amd is plainly written. And both the 19th and 26th amds specifically state "The right of citizens of the United States to vote". So voting is a right. Although there are certain restrictions laid out in the 14th.

Quote:
If requiring ID is akin to a poll tax*, which is an infringement on the right to vote (which you argue is unconstitutional) then how are these gun fees not an infringement on the right to bear arms?

*mind you, in all of the hearings and trials over this over the years not ONE person was able to be produced that could testify that he/she couldn't afford to get ID and would thus be prevented from legally voting. Not ONE person.
I am not arguing that requiring ID is akin to poll tax. I don't have an issue with requiring more substantive proof that you are actually a citizen to vote.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #53
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Wrong.
How so?
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #54
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I don't like that your state charges so much for you to buy a gun either. VA has a $2 state fee for every purchase.

Remember that those are state fees, not federal.

New York lol. Are you surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #55
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
How so?
Because it wasn't an affirmation of any rights. It was a simple ruling based on a technicality that states cannot pass laws which do not exist (required) on a federal voter form....aka, change the form. You made it sound like the ruling was some sort of a political win. If that was not your intention, then I apologize in advance and that I misunderstood your post.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #56
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
I was not refuting the right to bare arms. It was the right to purchase them without restriction.

As for the right to vote. Section 2 of the 14th amd is plainly written. And both the 19th and 26th amds specifically state "The right of citizens of the United States to vote". So voting is a right. Although there are certain restrictions laid out in the 14th.

I am not arguing that requiring ID is akin to poll tax. I don't have an issue with requiring more substantive proof that you are actually a citizen to vote.
You are correct, but there is no second amendment, per se, for voting rights. It is merely mentioned in passing several times (could be implied, I concede).

As for you not thinking it is a poll tax, good, but many here on this board do (and don't give a fvk about infringements upon the 2ndA). My argument stands, and is valid, as to that point.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #57
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
You are correct, but there is no second amendment, per se, for voting rights. It is merely mentioned in passing several times (could be implied, I concede).
I would hardly call two constitutional amendments specifically about voting rights to be mentioned in passing or even implied. They are specific statements concerning voting rights of citizens.

As for the whole "poll tax" question. One easy way around it is to make processing of passports to citizens free of charge. You must bring your passport as proof of citizenship to either register and/or vote.

Cover the cost by having a 0.001, if that, across the board cut on the budget. Having a means to validate that only US citizens are voting in federal elections or those for federal office (house & senate) is worth the tax burden. The states should have the right to allow non-citizens to vote in state related elections. (I don't agree with that position and prefer they don't. But, they are free to do so.)

Old 06-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #58
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
New York lol. Are you surprised?
Not in the least. DPRNY.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #59
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Re: Supreme Court Justices Block Law Requiring Voters to Prove Citizenship

Quote:
Because it wasn't an affirmation of any rights. It was a simple ruling based on a technicality that states cannot pass laws which do not exist (required) on a federal voter form....aka, change the form. You made it sound like the ruling was some sort of a political win. If that was not your intention, then I apologize in advance and that I misunderstood your post.

I think a bit abstractly/obliquely it did affirm the concept of protecting (federal) voting rights if even only by invalidating state restrictions upon them.

All too often, basic rights can be pared away by technicalities - a death of a thousand cuts, if you will - which I feel is an underlying purpose undergirding many "voting integrity" laws given the dearth of empirical data that voting fraud is a substantive problem. Strong 2nd Amendment proponents may be sympathetic to that concern.

Given the broad affirmation of this by the SCOTUS, I would say it was a refreshingly apolitical win.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #60
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
given the dearth of empirical data that voting fraud is a substantive problem.
I've posted tons of empirical data showing it is a problem