E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
connville

My Ride: Honda S2000
Salvaged M3

So I am considering buying a salvaged title M3. It was involved in a wreck damaging the front left fender. Air bag deployed. The story goes that the owner pushed the insurance company to total the car so he could get a check for the value and buy it back from the auction. He did and repaired it.
There is no frame damage.

It has kw v2 coils, csl trunk and diffuser as well as rims. Pretty much exactly what I want. I want to use it as a dd for a few years then track it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3862815328.html
I attached the picture of the damage and heres the link
Is it worth looking at and getting a PPI?_a_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6707.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	511756  
connville is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Plenty of non-salvaged M3's for around the same price, unless it was 10k I would definitely skip it... Probably only fixed all the driveline work on the left side too.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Pulling a car like that....doubtful it was just the fender. I would get the frame checked out. Period.

Make sure it has new control arms & Steering rack

Cooling system?

Coupe, good mods, 6mt, color combo....

I would take a chance on it, however if the frame is screwed. Forget about it
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Last edited by ChrisRedmon; 06-18-2013 at 12:12 PM.
ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Re: Salvaged M3

2002 salvage for $15k? Pass.. that should be around 10k
As for the damage... garateed the frame was damaged. There is no way the side took a hit without the left frame moving. Either he had it straightened (if salvage then most likely did so) or he componsated with adjusting bumper and fender. Have someone with experience have a look at it.

But again, for that price, id pass and get a nice zhp

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I wouldn't.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
That's a few grand above KBB value for a non-totaled car.

No.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
That story doesn't make any sense. If the car wasn't totaled (repair cost <70% of the value), then getting the insurance company to total it out would result in them spending more money. That would never happen. I don't buy it for a second. You should also not consider this car.

EDIT: Nvm I think I see what you mean. So the insurance company pays him the value of the car. They get the car, then he buys it at auction for say, half that, so the insurance company gets half their pay out back. Whereas if they repaired the car, maybe they spent 65% of the value on repairs. I still don't get how this would benefit the owner though.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the color of their coolant.

Last edited by WDE46; 06-18-2013 at 12:49 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
no...this car is sketchy

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
bumere46

My Ride: E92
stay away
I know a guy who sells salvage cars, he goes to court every freaking month
save yourself the headache
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
cars must be expensive in TX, because clean e46 M3's can be had for ~$15k here all day.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Salvaged M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
cars must be expensive in TX, because clean e46 M3's can be had for ~$15k here all day.
Up north you deal with winter and road salt and what not. Down south there is much less of a chance of that. That's my reasoning that makes sense
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I don't see GOOD E46 M3's for less than $20K down here yet. You can get well over 100K mile examples for under $20K, but I don't want those haha.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Pass.
although it may look pretty in pictures a Salvaged titled M3 for that price is way overpriced. not to mention I don't trust the story or condition.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Blind_Shooter

My Ride: is your sister
There are M3's with that mileage in florida not wrecked. Don't do it OP

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechinz View Post
Up north you deal with winter and road salt and what not. Down south there is much less of a chance of that. That's my reasoning that makes sense
that's not it. my car spent it's entire life in the NE, i've had it for 9 years- no rust or corrosion really.

also, many used, higher end cars here come from pennsylvania or the south. it's cheaper here because of the quantity of used car dealerships. there's a tremendous used car market here and in NJ.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
awesomechinz

Salvaged M3

Quote:
that's not it. my car spent it's entire life in the NE, i've had it for 9 years- no rust or corrosion really.

also, many used, higher end cars here come from pennsylvania or the south. it's cheaper here because of the quantity of used car dealerships. there's a tremendous used car market here and in NJ.
But just the reality that it is more likely for rust/corrosion to occur, doesn't that cause a decrease in value?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechinz View Post
But just the reality that it is more likely for rust/corrosion to occur, doesn't that cause a decrease in value?
i suppose it could, to out-of-town buyers, perhaps- but certainly not thousands of dollars less. i've seen some cars here go for almost half as much as some cars in more rural\country places. i still think it has to do with the supply.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
awesomechinz

Salvaged M3

Quote:
i suppose it could, to out-of-town buyers, perhaps- but certainly not thousands of dollars less. i've seen some cars here go for almost half as much as some cars in more rural\country places. i still think it has to do with the supply.
That makes more sense... Sorry for thread jack OP
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Salvaged M3

Quote:

Im sure there is rust and corrosion on your car somewhere. You may not be able to see it without digging into it a bit but its there. If it was driven at all on salted roads then you can't avoid it. There are cracks and tight areas that the salt gets in that aren't seen by just walking around the car or putting on a lift. Cars down south are generally much nicer body wise however you have the trade off of the heat destroying plastic and rubber much faster. I personally would rather replace plastic and rubber seals than have rust issues down the road.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
Cobra

yeah there are little spots. nothing concerning, though. i'm fixing a few things on my e46 and planning on selling it to buy another manual bimmer(my only regret about my car)