E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #41
psykopsomatik

My Ride: '03 M3
Has the OP seen the car in person? Does it look like the pictures?

Either way, I'd pass on this one unless the price was really good and I were on the market for a track/race car. For a daily driver, no thanks.
psykopsomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #42
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
OP, I just purchased a salvage title Dinan M3. I was **** scared, but after a Pre-Purchase Inspection by BMW themselves I was confident to buy it knowing there was no frame damage, or any other problems that could pop up now or in 50,000 miles.

Just have them look at it, make sure it drives straight, nothings loose or broken or cracked. It's also a good idea to ask him where the work to repair the salvage title was done, and then check the businesses reviews on yelp or something. There are shops/collision places out there that have frame alignment machines to bring the salvage car back to OEM spec.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #43
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
and how much did yu pay for it.

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #44
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Just remember that even if a bent frame is properly straightened, the metal will NOT have the same strength as it did before bending and straightening. Bending metal stretches and weakens it, which is why when you bend a paper clip back and forth several times it breaks.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #45
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
Just remember that even if a bent frame is properly straightened, the metal will NOT have the same strength as it did before bending and straightening. Bending metal stretches and weakens it, which is why when you bend a paper clip back and forth several times it breaks.
If its at any point endangering the durability of the metal, the metals completely swapped out and bought at OEM specs, at least that's what the best auto and body shop does here. There is a reason your insurance trusts only like 5% of all collision repair services because it is insane, meticulous and so expensive! At least in SD.

I do agree, if the metals not dealt with properly or the collision repair place does anything less then an amazing job, then a lot is compromised, especially your safety.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #46
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Depends on everyone's situation. I wanted a clean M3 and traveled 900 miles to get it, spent a night in a hotel, got a PPI and on top of that overpaid for the car. I passed on tens of them at a better price just because a minor accident was listed on carfax. Thats just what I wanted, Period. If, however I was hellbent on getting the best deal I would consider a rebuilt (given the price was right and it passed PPI). 15k is freaking ridicolous . Should be half of that. None of the mods matter, IR on IR combo doesnt matter. The only thing that matters in this case is that it has a rebuilt title. Oh yeah, and they all get salvaged because slight "fender benders" hehehe.

Last edited by helmutm3; 06-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.
helmutm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #47
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutm3 View Post
Depends on everyone's situation. I wanted a clean M3 and traveled 900 miles to get it, spent a night in a hotel, got a PPI and on top of that overpaid for the car. I passed on tens of them at a better price just because a minor accident was listed on carfax. Thats just what I wanted, Period. If, however I was hellbent on getting the best deal I would consider a rebuilt (given the price was right and it passed PPI). 15k is freaking ridicolous . Should be half of that. None of the mods matter, IR on IR combo doesnt matter. The only thing that matters in this case is that it has a rebuilt title. Oh yeah, and they all get salvaged because slight "fender benders" hehehe.
How many miles were on the M3 you bought?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #48
helmutm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
How many miles were on the M3 you bought?
44k. I saw your thread btw. You did get a good deal my friend. For that price I would consider a salvaged car. Just because if I was to change my mind later I could sell it and not loose money.

Last edited by helmutm3; 06-22-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #49
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutm3 View Post
44k. I saw your thread btw. You did get a good deal my friend. For that price I would consider a salvaged car. Just because if I was to change my mind later I could sell it and not loose money.
Thanks I appreciate it!

I love the fact you had to do a hotel stay, and all that for a car. I can feels the loves.

Yeah, it'll take some work to clean up - thank god for this forum and all the DIY's hahaha. But @58k and and no frame damage, and reputable collision repair done on it. I couldn't find a better deal in 100 miles of my location, San Diego.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #50
helmutm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
Thanks I appreciate it!

I love the fact you had to do a hotel stay, and all that for a car. I can feels the loves.

Yeah, it'll take some work to clean up - thank god for this forum and all the DIY's hahaha. But @58k and and no frame damage, and reputable collision repair done on it. I couldn't find a better deal in 100 miles of my location, San Diego.
Yep. And since it was around holidays and all immediate flights were booked I rented a car and drove. The hotel stay was more like a 4 hr nap because the seller was asleep at 4am when I arrived.

Last edited by helmutm3; 06-22-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #51
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well something to consider with a SALVAGE title is that depending on state, you might not be able to get insurance on it (from the reputable insurance comp's). and if you do you will be paying just as high as if it were clean but only get paid usually no more than 40% value.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 06-23-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #52
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I've been in the car business for over 25 years... I would never own a salvage title anything. I know what it means and know what is liable to happen... It's like marrying a good looking woman who you knew was a whore for years before you married her. It may look good to the outside world... But in your gut... You never feel right about it.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #53
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I've been in the car business for over 25 years... I would never own a salvage title anything. I know what it means and know what is liable to happen... It's like marrying a good looking woman who you knew was a whore for years before you married her. It may look good to the outside world... But in your gut... You never feel right about it.
The car in question is clearly a basket case painted by Helen Keller... but your mentality on salvage cars is beyond unintelligible.

Totaling a car is purely a numbers game based on age and value of the car. I'd take a 10-15k car salvaged (NO FRAME DAMAGE) over a newer 60k car with 40k in damage retaining a clear title.

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #54
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
The car in question is clearly a basket case painted by Helen Keller... but your mentality on salvage cars is beyond unintelligible.

Totaling a car is purely a numbers game based on age and value of the car. I'd take a 10-15k car salvaged (NO FRAME DAMAGE) over a newer 60k car with 40k in damage retaining a clear title.
If that was unintelligible... You need an education. No sh!t it is a numbers game... That all insurance companies are about. But people keep saying, "As long as there isn't frame damage"... Guess what, there usually is. And the fact is that you will never know. It is up to the insurance company how it reports... Sometimes they get it right... Sometimes they get it wrong. (The way they report to AutoCheck or CarFax) And I have seen two different reports (severity wise) on two different reports. One may list a mild accident while the other may be more descriptive and say the car was wiped out, non-drivable and needed to be towed away from the scene.

Even a thorough PPI may not uncover more issues. So... Go ahead and be that guy who buys up the salvage titled vehicles... They say there is an a55 for every seat...

Personally I would only buy a clean titled unit and I would happily pay for it. But then I would get a discount anyway.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #55
slate

My Ride: 1987 325ic, 2003 M3
The cost vs a clean title is probably the killer. From the accident, it looks like the Al control arm got it (and left the subframe alone if the seller is honest) and, compared to what I've seen, not that bad - the tire orientation, the bumper and fender damage makes it look worse. I'd have the seller produce scans/copies of all receipts. What worries me is that the seller accepted the poor match on the paint job. I've seen thousands of wrecks and hundreds of rebuilt cars and, working in a shop with my cousin just helping out, worked on a dozen or so. It all depends on the damage and the shop. I've seen some scary repairs and I've seen it done right. I have driven rebuilt cars that were mainly simple fixes (or things such as theft cars, which in some states automatically makes a salvage title). My M3 got a blown engine from sucking in water via the bumper intake. I bought it, fixed it and it runs great. Did I make sure that water did not enter the cabin? Absolutely. Do your due diligence.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #56
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci
Salvaged M3

BMW M3 Dinan stage 3 Tastefully Modified $14500

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3886890149.html

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #57
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Salvaged M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post

Main point being that salvage cars were either repaired at a loss, or corners were cut in order to repair it at a profit. The vast majority of salvage cars were done on the cheap because very few people would actually pay more than the value of a car to repair it.

The question is really whether a salvage $15k car is worth more than a non salvage car at roughly the same age and condition. Probably not.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #58
slate

My Ride: 1987 325ic, 2003 M3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
Main point being that salvage cars were either repaired at a loss, or corners were cut in order to repair it at a profit. The vast majority of salvage cars were done on the cheap because very few people would actually pay more than the value of a car to repair it.

The question is really whether a salvage $15k car is worth more than a non salvage car at roughly the same age and condition. Probably not.

Not always true. I've used the estimator software directly when considering a wrecked car and used parts are not part of the equation for totaling a car/cost to repair. For example, a used engine or subframe. Also, labor - if it's your own hours, then it costs a little less.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #59
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
not worth it bro.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #60
StaimFrame

My Ride: BMW M56
I owned a salvage chevy with accident damage, got it at auto auction offering crashed cars for sale and I never had any serious issues with it. the only problem was to find someone who'd buy a car when you want to resell it, as many people don't want to deal with salvage cars. But I wouldn't buy a salvage vehicle if it wasn't saving me at least 70% off the retail value of the car.

Last edited by StaimFrame; 07-11-2013 at 02:32 PM.
StaimFrame is offline   Reply With Quote