E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
diM3tri

My Ride: 330ci + stg2 Scoobie
Insurance question.,

I was driving in the right lane and a huge SUV starts turning right in to me and my immediate reaction is I turn away but I run into the curb and my front wheel has curb rash everywhere and the tire has a few rips (brand new tires) and the front lower part of my bumper has some
Major scratches as well. My brake light came on and won't go off and there is a slight shake when I go above 50 mph. I got the lady's insurance information and she told me to go get a quote then call her and we can work something out. Should I go to a body shop even though the damage is just to my wheels (slight damage to the bumper) or should I go a mechanic for the brake light/vibration? Also I don't want to take advantage of the lady but will I just get one new rim and a new paint job on the bumper or should I request 4 new rims and a new bumper? Ill post pics of the damage in a bit

Thanks!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Current Cars:
'99 Big Turbo B5 A4 (the red one) ^^^
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
diM3tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Insurance question.,

Body shop. Did you get her insurance information?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Body shop. Did you get her insurance information?

She gave me her name number and a pic of her license

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
NOVAbimmer

Insurance question.,

You need one wheel. Plus an alignment and any suspension damage. The bumper will require repair or replacement and paint.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
diM3tri

Quote:
You need one wheel. Plus an alignment and any suspension damage. The bumper will require repair or replacement and paint.

Ill need a tire too cuz theres a chunk missing. it hold air but the tires are about 3 weeks old.. Also if I go get a quote at a body shop how would they check the brake light problem and the suspension components?

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
NOVAbimmer

Insurance question.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by diM3tri View Post
Ill need a tire too cuz theres a chunk missing. it hold air but the tires are about 3 weeks old.. Also if I go get a quote at a body shop how would they check the brake light problem and the suspension components?
So add a tire in.

A body shop will either sublet the mechanical work to a shop they work with, or have their own in-house mechanic deal with it.

It's a lot less of a hassle for you to deal with one shop than try to drag your car all over the place to get it repaired.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
diM3tri

Quote:
So add a tire in.

A body shop will either sublet the mechanical work to a shop they work with, or have their own in-house mechanic deal with it.

It's a lot less of a hassle for you to deal with one shop than try to drag your car all over the place to get it repaired.

Okay thanks for your help! Ill go to the body shop tomorrow

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
I was driving in the right lane and a huge SUV starts turning right in to me and my immediate reaction is I turn away but I run into the curb and my front wheel has curb rash everywhere and the tire has a few rips (brand new tires) and the front lower part of my bumper has some
Major scratches as well. My brake light came on and won't go off and there is a slight shake when I go above 50 mph. I got the lady's insurance information and she told me to go get a quote then call her and we can work something out. Should I go to a body shop even though the damage is just to my wheels (slight damage to the bumper) or should I go a mechanic for the brake light/vibration? Also I don't want to take advantage of the lady but will I just get one new rim and a new paint job on the bumper or should I request 4 new rims and a new bumper? Ill post pics of the damage in a bit

Thanks!

Call your insurance company and give them the lady's name and her insurance information. Then let them tell you what to do.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Call your insurance company and give them the lady's name and her insurance information. Then let them tell you what to do.
I told the lady I'd get a quote before contacting insurance to see if we want to settle with cash or trough insurance depending on cost of the the repair

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Astheros

My Ride: 2005 330ci
Re: Insurance question.,

Is there a police report? How can u prove she did it? All u have is her info and license pic. Is there anything preventing her from backing out of the deal. Technically she didn't hit you. U avoided her and damaged ure own car. Just asking.. .don't flame me.

Instagram: astherosphoto
Astheros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astheros View Post
Is there a police report? How can u prove she did it? All u have is her info and license pic. Is there anything preventing her from backing out of the deal. Technically she didn't hit you. U avoided her and damaged ure own car. Just asking.. .don't flame me.
She was really nice. I told her we don't need to get police involved. She told me she'd cover the damage. She was a 50 year old blonde women from a rich town driving a Mercedes SUV. I think she'd rather pay then have a big deal where I'm potentially hiring lawyers and all that stuff if she refuses to pay. She was grateful that I reacted quick and got out of the way. It could have been so much worse then it was

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
NOVAbimmer

Insurance question.,

Quote:
She was really nice. I told her we don't need to get police involved. She told me she'd cover the damage. She was a 50 year old blonde women from a rich town driving a Mercedes SUV. I think she'd rather pay then have a big deal where I'm potentially hiring lawyers and all that stuff if she refuses to pay. She was grateful that I reacted quick and got out of the way. It could have been so much worse then it was
In that case, be surprised if you ever get a dime out of her

Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
diM3tri

Quote:
In that case, be surprised if you ever get a dime out of her

Just got a quote for 2064 worth of damage.. Waiting for the lady to call me back now. Ugh I should have filed a report

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Insurance question.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Good advice.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HacksawMark View Post
Good advice.

I promised the lady that I'd call her with a quote before talking to insurance

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
Poundingsand

My Ride: 2005 E46 330i
She is trying to avoid her insurance premiums escalating. Give her the quote and see what she says. If she doesn't want to pay it call your insurance provider. It sounds like she has the money and wants to avoid getting her provider involved. Happened to me before, and the woman who cut me off came through...
Poundingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
diM3tri

Since there is no official police report could I be looking at a situation where she doesn't want to pay and won't have to pay? I don't have collision and I want my insurance to stay out because I don't want my premiums rising as well. The best bet would be to settle with cash but she hasn't called me back yet after I left a message 5 hours ago

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Just got a quote for 2064 worth of damage.. Waiting for the lady to call me back now. Ugh I should have filed a report
This should be a lesson to all. Anything at speeds above parking lot dings should call for insurance reports and maybe even a call to the cops. The estimate they gave you is just that, they could start the work and find you need a rack and pinion. What then? You go back and tell her she needs to cough up another $1500 and she thinks you're shaking her down refuses to pay and you get to write the check.
How long ago did this happen? You may still be able to file a report with your insurance. If it happened today, you're safe, get on the phone ASAP.
Call the lady first and tell her this is getting to be a lot more than you thought at first and it is better to handle it through the proper channels.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
diM3tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
This should be a lesson to all. Anything at speeds above parking lot dings should call for insurance reports and maybe even a call to the cops. The estimate they gave you is just that, they could start the work and find you need a rack and pinion. What then? You go back and tell her she needs to cough up another $1500 and she thinks you're shaking her down refuses to pay and you get to write the check.
How long ago did this happen? You may still be able to file a report with your insurance. If it happened today, you're safe, get on the phone ASAP.
Call the lady first and tell her this is getting to be a lot more than you thought at first and it is better to handle it through the proper channels.
It happened yesterday around this time. As soon as she calls me back ill figure it out. I didn't make an insurance claim because I figured it was some light curb rash and a bumper respray. The BMW dealer charges 566$ for 1 style 71 wheel alone.

Current Cars:
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Quote:
Quote:
I promised the lady that I'd call her with a quote before talking to insurance
Quote:
Since there is no official police report could I be looking at a situation where she doesn't want to pay and won't have to pay? I don't have collision and I want my insurance to stay out because I don't want my premiums rising as well. The best bet would be to settle with cash but she hasn't called me back yet after I left a message 5 hours ago
I'm actually a licensed insurance agent so I'll throw in my .02 for you.

#1: ALWAYS contact the police for ANY accident, without proof it's a he said she said deal, our claims department would have asked first and foremost for a copy of a report to prove guilt of either party.

#2: She will dodge you if you present her a $2k bill.

#3: Your insurance coverages don't matter, you are going after her insurance for a collision claim. Comprehensive is for non "collision" theft, vandalism, etc, collision coverage is if you hit someone you can still get your car covered.

As long as she was carrying valid insurance you would have been just fine presenting a claim. Like I said comp/coll is for fixing YOUR car. Property damage coverage, is the one you use when factoring repairs. *this is the reason i carry $1.5 million in liability limits, I can hit 5 lambos and be just fine lol.*

#4: If she refuses to pay your damages, you have 2 options, small claims court, which you'll lose since you didn't get a police report, and the other option is eat the bill.

Lesson learned. Contact police, get report, file claim. Remember, honesty is a rare thing now days, she can sweet talk you and be all fine and dandy, but when it comes time to pony up the check it's gonna be "I'm sorry dear, but who are you again?"

You're gonna end up eating the bill, sorry man.

Oh, get collision coverage, it's worth the extra money for even a $1k deductible, you'd have been able to file a claim with your company, granted you would have a small bump in premium, but it's worth it. I have a $50 comp/$100 coll deductibles for my M. No way in hell am I taking any chances with this car lol.

Last edited by Moosecakes; 06-19-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote