E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by diM3tri View Post
Since there is no official police report could I be looking at a situation where she doesn't want to pay and won't have to pay? I don't have collision and I want my insurance to stay out because I don't want my premiums rising as well. The best bet would be to settle with cash but she hasn't called me back yet after I left a message 5 hours ago
Typically you have 24 hours to report the accident. Do it, you are about to eat a huge repair bill. Call the lady leave her a message give her 1 hour max to return your call or you go through the insurance channels.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
ti317

Agree with Moosecakes, it doesn't look good.
You can get around the police report because unless there is a certain amount of damage or injury, most states don't require a police report but it sure helps to have one.
Even though the damage is $2k, you can get around that too because the damage did not appear that bad.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
It's unfortunate, but the police probably aren't going to give 2 shits about your day old accident, I mean at least you have pics of her license and insurance, if she dodges you on the bill, contact her insurance and see if they can help. It's really in their hands if they will accept or deny the claim, but like I said without a report, your fkd
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Insurance question.,

He's going after her for a liability claim, not collision. Collision would be his own policy.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Moosecakes

He isn't going after **** without a police report to prove guilt...

I see the adjuster thing in your sig so we understand the same things. My company would deny without a report. What I'm saying is if he had collision even if she dodged him he could file a claim with his company

Last edited by Moosecakes; 06-19-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
ti317

The big lie insurance companies tell us is that it is not wise to carry collision coverage on an older car. Collision coverage will cost you what? $400 a year? Cheap at the price now, huh?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Insurance question.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Agree with Moosecakes, it doesn't look good.
You can get around the police report because unless there is a certain amount of damage or injury, most states don't require a police report but it sure helps to have one.
Even though the damage is $2k, you can get around that too because the damage did not appear that bad.
In lieu of or in addition to a police report, some states like Oregon require that you file an accident report with the DMV within 10 days. Both drivers have to file; if a driver fails to file, they will not be able to renew their license.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 06-20-2013 at 09:36 AM.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by diM3tri View Post
I told the lady I'd get a quote before contacting insurance to see if we want to settle with cash or trough insurance depending on cost of the the repair
One more time, CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Let them handle it. That's what you pay them for.

They will contact the other party's insurance carrier and work out the details.

YOU
Hello, Acme Insurance? I have a policy with you and a lady ran me off the road today. I have her name, address, and insurance information.

ACME
Thank you for calling today, we'll call the other person's insurance and file the claim. We can send an adjuster out to inspect your car, when is it convenient for you to do this?
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #29
Moosecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HacksawMark View Post
In lieu of a police report, some states like Oregon require that you file an accident report with the DMV within 10 days. Both drivers have to file; if a driver fails to file, they will not be able to renew their license.

I did not know this! Very handy tip haha thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
One more time, CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Let them handle it. That's what you pay them for.

They will contact the other party's insurance carrier and work out the details.

YOU
Hello, Acme Insurance? I have a policy with you and a lady ran me off the road today. I have her name, address, and insurance information.

ACME
Thank you for calling today, we'll call the other person's insurance and file the claim. We can send an adjuster out to inspect your car, when is it convenient for you to do this?
One more time, without a report proving guilt, THEY DONT CARE.

His insurance company has NOTHING to do with it because OP was not carrying collision insurance. This claim is 100% being dealt with by the ladys company, if he cannot prove she is at fault then they can't do anything.

And idk about his state, but legally in oregon we are not allowed to deal with claims against another company, that is up to the policy holder to take care of. If he filed a collision claim with HIS insurance company *if he had coll. coverage* then he would be taken care of, then HIS company would subrogate against HER company for damages incurred.

This is how the scenario plays out with Full coverage on the OP's policy:

If he was carrying collision coverage, he would report to his insurance company that he was hit and needed to file a claim, he would then be taken care of, his insurance would go after her insurance for that money.

However since he didn't have the coverage it is now a he said she said deal with NO proof to provide either company.

OP's fuked unless he found the most honest lady on the planet.

Last edited by Moosecakes; 06-19-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
Moosecakes

Quote:
The big lie insurance companies tell us is that it is not wise to carry collision coverage on an older car. Collision coverage will cost you what? $400 a year? Cheap at the price now, huh?
This is not the insurance company this is the agent, I always suggest full coverage if the client is not in a financial position to replace a totaled vehicle. There's a thing called E&O insurance we must all carry, many agents have been sued because they did not suggest proper coverages to the prospective clients.

What everyone fails to understand is that 99% of the time, it is NOT the company's fault your claim or policy got fuked up. It's your crappy agent..
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosecakes View Post
I did not know this! Very handy tip haha thanks

One more time, without a report proving guilt, THEY DONT CARE.

His insurance company has NOTHING to do with it because OP was not carrying collision insurance. This claim is 100% being dealt with by the ladys company, if he cannot prove she is at fault then they can't do anything.

And idk about his state, but legally in oregon we are not allowed to deal with claims against another company, that is up to the policy holder to take care of. If he filed a collision claim with HIS insurance company *if he had coll. coverage* then he would be taken care of, then HIS company would subrogate against HER company for damages incurred.

This is how the scenario plays out with Full coverage on the OP's policy:

If he was carrying collision coverage, he would report to his insurance company that he was hit and needed to file a claim, he would then be taken care of, his insurance would go after her insurance for that money.

However since he didn't have the coverage it is now a he said she said deal with NO proof to provide either company.

OP's fuked unless he found the most honest lady on the planet.
The cops don't even show up unless there are bodies on the ground or stalled cars blocking the lanes. They say, "just exchange information."

My insurance company contacts the other party's company and they process the claim. I get that this is a liability claim, not a collision or comp claim. If one had Uninsured Motorist coverage, it could be claimed there, but the insurance company would still chase it down before they cut a check. If they can find the other party and her insurance, they will force her liability to cover the damages.

The OP is not in Calif, and his mileage may vary, but filing a claim with his own carrier is the first step. The second step depends on what the carrier says.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Insurance question.,

This is a really bad situation to get involved with and it's because of our automatic human reaction mechanism.

However reading this info, I don't find the lady guilty of anything. You should of let her ram into you.

The fact that she is rich and drives a Mercedes is no plus either. Most rich people I know are the cheapest penny pinchers out there. You would of been better off hitting someone who was broke.

You only solution here is to see if you can find a witness. Put signs in the area stating if anybody noticed anything and to call you.

adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #33
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
You only solution here is to see if you can find a witness. Put signs in the area stating if anybody noticed anything and to call you.
Best argument to run a dash cam all the time.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #34
ti317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosecakes View Post
This is not the insurance company this is the agent, I always suggest full coverage if the client is not in a financial position to replace a totaled vehicle. There's a thing called E&O insurance we must all carry, many agents have been sued because they did not suggest proper coverages to the prospective clients.

What everyone fails to understand is that 99% of the time, it is NOT the company's fault your claim or policy got fuked up. It's your crappy agent..
True. But we have to take some responsibility for ourselves. Look at it this way, you would keep collision on. 3 year old Hyundai Elantra but not on a 8 year old 325 which prob had the same book value?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #35
ti317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Best argument to run a dash cam all the time.
If you erase it after an accident, is that destroying evidence?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #36
ti317

There is one ray of hope. If she is truly honest, she can file an insurance report before it is too late and have them take care of it.
She can say that she was waiting to hear from you as to the extent of your claim before filing, as long as she files within the mandated time.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #37
Stinger9

Quote:
If you erase it after an accident, is that destroying evidence?
It is evidence, and you would be destroying it. So yes.

You own it and owe it to no one else, so you are breaking no law.
Take the fifth; you can't be forced to testify against yourself.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
diM3tri

My Ride: 330ci + stg2 Scoobie
Guys good news, she called me back tonight and I can't even believe it but she was totally cool. She told me to fax her over the repair bill and see what we can work out. She didnt even pause when i said 2000 dollars. She was totally willing to compensate me for the damage. I'm surprised.
She is a very nice honest women and I really lucked out here! Ill update with progress when we speak tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's input! I'm glad I will get this sorted out without too much stress

Current Cars:
'99 Big Turbo B5 A4 (the red one) ^^^
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
diM3tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
Stinger9

No jinx intended, but you haven't lucked out till you have the check cashed and cleared. Has happened.

Good Luck
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #40
Moosecakes

The cops will show up if you request them to, that's kinda what we underpay them for...

and OP I'm really glad that worked out for you!!

I hope you called your agent and added collision coverage too