E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
Got bored... Making an intake scoop.

good luck

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Good luck OP with whatever you are trying to accomplish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
I saw we make one for mango and sneak it on his car at bimmerfest next year.
I say we secretly drain his coolant and replace it with...Autozone coolant and tap water! Then, let's replace whatever new-ish random nuts and bolts he just installed with hand-tightened, heavily used nuts and bolts! Last, we should top off his oil with non-BMW, non-synthetic off-brand oil!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post

I say we secretly drain his coolant and replace it with...Autozone coolant and tap water! Then, let's replace whatever new-ish random nuts and bolts he just installed with hand-tightened, heavily used nuts and bolts! Last, we should top off his oil with non-BMW, non-synthetic off-brand oil!
lol. if you see my car in that way, it'll be the last thing you see

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
I had a better idea a few years back!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...0&postcount=10

I will however say:

When i was alot younger with my 330ci um..ten -eleven years ago. I had made a heatshield for my first 50$ ebay intake with cardboard box and aluminum foil. I drove it up and down the mountain and i swear the intake and its "charge pipe" was def much cooler to the touch(cooler IAT ). One day from tinkering with it so muchl I had forgotten to clamp the the intake on the maf and it sucked in a small sheet of foil (which was torn to shreds by the metal maf grate). No damage was done(i think as it drove fine many years after even with a supercharger), but looking back i see alot of myself in these homemade mods, as wack and dumb as it may be its definitely constant thought and love for the car. A true fanatic.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 06-19-2013 at 03:30 PM.
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I definitely did some dumb things in my young kid honda modding days. though its more dangerous to do to these expensive-to-repair german cars than a civic. young people don't understand the extremely high level of depth that goes into the design of modern cars and especially these cars in particular. no homemade part tinkering is necessary or advantageous. concentrate on your skill as a driver and getting to know your car

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
beeemerdude
Banned User

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
+10 on Mango's post. I'll add. If I saw that on a for-sale used E46, I'd walk. But take my post w/ a grain of salt, cause I simply believe BMW put the best in research & engineering, & they would have added that if it would need it, even back in the early 2000's.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
E46Snowball

My Ride: 330i
lolwut
6 speed
E46Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
Bend it in a brake, see how it works. Make it look as stock as possible. Report back with the results.
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I definitely did some dumb things in my young kid honda modding days. though its more dangerous to do to these expensive-to-repair german cars than a civic. young people don't understand the extremely high level of depth that goes into the design of modern cars and especially these cars in particular. no homemade part tinkering is necessary or advantageous. concentrate on your skill as a driver and getting to know your car
High level of Depth....

Can you explain that..?

Last edited by klax; 06-19-2013 at 09:23 PM.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by klax View Post
High level of Depth....

Can you explain that..?
He means (I think) that every item of performance has been thought through and designed by a large team of engineers, and some kid just out of high school or college does not have the experience and understanding to improve the performance without a large outlay of cash to the people that know what they are doing.

I use this Craigslist ad for reference:

Quote:
"I have a freshly rebuilt turbo BMW 323i coupe car is fresh out the shop with a 3000 dollar rebuild whole turbo set up has been plumbed the correct way and it also has a brand new ecu the car has been lowered and has BMW wheels its putting down 285-300 hp to the rear wheels on 8-10 pounds boost really don't want to let it go it is a beast and is the lightest if the three series coupes do your research you want find another definently not anywhere close if not in the u.s. if you do it will b a hack job because someone didn't have the money to do it the right way over 4500 in turbo system and turbo build will trade for 02+ mustang gt 04+ Audi a6 s4 evo sti the main thing I want 02+ m3 convertible or hard top rx7 or supra tt will consider is300 with 2jz swap also consider bike plus 5k cash or bike plus car truck SUV no bikes older then 02 02+ crotch rockets"

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I'm a visual kind of guy. Perhaps a sketch of where this goes? Read the title and though you were duplicating BeMyWhip's hood scoop. Now I think you are designing something for underneath the car. Perhaps a photo of the cardboard in place on the car would help.
man... I really made an impression on you with my hood huh?
It seems to come up often .
BTW I also made my own "hood scoops" lol, actually they're known as air intake scoops. Check out my page if you want see it; even have a thread on it. Mine was made out of aluminum.
Irish, you know I would make it rather than pay RPI over $100 for it.
Cost me about $6.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post

Remember to remove his belly pan as well

Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #33
Shooters04M3

My Ride: 04 BMW M3

+1 for using a break. I wouldn't weld unless you have a tig welder

Shooters04M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
man... I really made an impression on you with my hood huh?
Every time I see a Mustang with that hood scoop, I think of you. You should feel remorse for that.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
He means (I think) that every item of performance has been thought through and designed by a large team of engineers, and some kid just out of high school or college does not have the experience and understanding to improve the performance without a large outlay of cash to the people that know what they are doing.

I use this Craigslist ad for reference:
I understand what Mango was trying to say. I wouldn't mess with BMW engineering either (for the most part).

"High level of Depth" just came across as a bit amusing, like: "Jumbo Shrimp" or "Army Intelligence" or "Rap Artist".
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
"I have a freshly rebuilt turbo BMW 323i coupe car is fresh out the shop with a 3000 dollar rebuild whole turbo set up has been plumbed the correct way and it also has a brand new ecu the car has been lowered and has BMW wheels its putting down 285-300 hp to the rear wheels on 8-10 pounds boost really don't want to let it go it is a beast and is the lightest if the three series coupes do your research you want find another definently not anywhere close if not in the u.s. if you do it will b a hack job because someone didn't have the money to do it the right way over 4500 in turbo system and turbo build will trade for 02+ mustang gt 04+ Audi a6 s4 evo sti the main thing I want 02+ m3 convertible or hard top rx7 or supra tt will consider is300 with 2jz swap also consider bike plus 5k cash or bike plus car truck SUV no bikes older then 02 02+ crotch rockets"
Reading that gave me brain cancel.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #37
wildirish317

Having seen this "scoop" applied, I can only say that it's stupid.

The area in front of the radiator is sealed off so that it builds up pressure with the speed of the car. It's a plenum, of sorts, that's used to feed air to the intake and the radiator(s). The engine will only take as much air as the cylinders will let in. The pressure at the intake is a function of the velocity of the car. Nothing else matters. Adding this scoop doesn't increase this pressure. It just adds drag to the system.

The only purpose of this scoop is to take money out of your pocket and put it in someone else's pocket.

Which, btw, is why CAIs don't give the performance you would expect. You take the intake out of this high pressure zone and stick it in a wheel well where the pressure doesn't build with speed.