E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Wheel bearing

Ok so on the advice of a forum member, I ordered a wheel hub assembly from autozone. Its a timken and was only 45 bucks. I pull the bearing out of the box and what do I see? A koyo bearing. Turns out, koyo bought a timken plant down in SC and thats what I got. Did some research on koyo. Um, they make the super high quality and super quiet bearings the US navy uses in subs. And u know everything has to b quiet. Gonna install it today. Wish me luck
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
Ok so on the advice of a forum member, I ordered a wheel hub assembly from autozone. Its a timken and was only 45 bucks. I pull the bearing out of the box and what do I see? A koyo bearing. Turns out, koyo bought a timken plant down in SC and thats what I got. Did some research on koyo. Um, they make the super high quality and super quiet bearings the US navy uses in subs. And u know everything has to b quiet. Gonna install it today. Wish me luck

I eat hamburgers like those that they serve on submarines.

However that doesn't make me a submariner.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Cayne23

Re: Wheel bearing

Wheel besring in. Test drive was great. Everything is solid and quiet. It has a 3 year warranty so if something goes wrong, im covered. Old bearing was f'ed. The inner race was pulling out halfway. No grease left around ball bearings. They were all there, none had popped out. Easiest bearings I've ever done
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Autozone doesn't sell wheel hub bearing for e46 M3. They list the same hub bearing as fitment for regular e46 cars as well. BMW have different part number for M3 (31222229501) hub bearings and regular e46 (3126757024). How did they make a hub bearing universal to all e46 cars? Something is not adding up.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Amhague

My Ride: 330xi
Wheel bearing

Koyo makes good bearings. No worries there.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Amhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Cayne23

Well I was on autozone's website. Part was shipped from an autozone in memphis to my house. Part number was 513xxx cant remember the rest. It fit right on. Perfecly.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Cayne23

Oh, the only thing different was the new hub assembly only had 1 hole for the brake disc retaining screw. And the new hub didnt have the 3 tabs on it that fit into the brake disc. Everything else was the same. The pics I saw in the diy section, showed the same hub assembly as mine.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
intelone

Quote:
Oh, the only thing different was the new hub assembly only had 1 hole for the brake disc retaining screw. And the new hub didnt have the 3 tabs on it that fit into the brake disc. Everything else was the same. The pics I saw in the diy section, showed the same hub assembly as mine.
Autozone strikes again. They always reference the non-M3 parts to fit the M3 on the e46 platforms. They seldom can distinguish the two apart. That's the difference you can see from the front face of the hub bearing assembly, but what else are there. Here's a quick animation of the two super imposed on each other, both F A G hub bearings. Did you measure the height side by side and see if they are the same? Could affect how your wheel is offset. I don't know since I don't have them both to measure. But from the pictures, it looks like the M has a thicker base and collar.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Cayne23

The pics in the diy from this site, shows a new hub bearing that doesn t have the tabs that my old bearing has. And in the diy, there is only one retaining screw. Maybe that diy should b amended with a not stating the new bearing in the pics c r different then

Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Cayne23

Ok do I just looked for the wheel bearing on ebay. The only ones that look like I had r ***, which is what I pulled off, and skf. Timken and all the other ones that say for m3's dont have the 3 tabs and 2 retaining screws. Hmmm...

Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
intelone

Quote:
The pics in the diy from this site, shows a new hub bearing that doesn t have the tabs that my old bearing has. And in the diy, there is only one retaining screw. Maybe that diy should b amended with a not stating the new bearing in the pics c r different then

Was the car in the DIY an M or non-M car? The procedure to R&R the wheel hub bearing are the same for both cars, but that doesn't mean the bearings are or should be interchangeable.

Looks like it does fit you cars, since you mounted it onto your car without out any hassle. It probably is okay and fine, but who knows if any real difference are besides the sew screw holes and brake rotors mounting tabs that are present on the M3 versions .

I'm just pointing out that there are two part numbers according to BMW, F A G, and other vendors, while autozone lists theirs to fit all e46 including M and non-M cars. Just a heads up to other M owners who come upon this thread looking at autozone's as an alternative replacement.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Cayne23

Yea all the part numbers r 513125 for the timken and others. The f a g's part number is 31xxxxxxxxxx or so. Well at least mine came with a 3 year warranty. Any problems, im covered

Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Cayne23

Ok I just looked at pepboys. They sell skf for 133.99. It has the tabs on it. Part number is BR930xxx

Old 08-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
intelone

Amazon has the F A G ones for $130 shipped with prime.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #15
Cayne23

What is prime?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
Cayne23

Oh, and the diy was under the m3 forum