E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
He should not have any problem selling it for a small profit to some kid who is in the market for a 325 or 330, and discovers that he can have an M3 for the same money. He will barely hear the words Salvage Title, because of the dreams of fat wheels, skinny tires, and a $400 eBay coilover kit running through his head.
I have never seen so many BMW's with tasteless mods in one place until we were house hunting in San Diego last year. Don't be offended, I saw a lot of reall nice BMW's there as well. But there were enough modded ones that even my wife commented on it, and she usually does not notice such things.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
For $8,000...you should sell your 325i, invest in maintaining the M3 and just keep it for as long as you possibly can.

I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. The thought of driving a car that isn't perfectly stable throughout the chassis bothers me. But since you already bought it, I'd keep it.
The cars incredibly stable, the PPI I had done at BMW said they saw no sign of a faulty or salvage title, they were happy with the repairs done. If you know Chapparone Auto Body/Paint she took it to them and it was handled to OEM perfection, she spared no expense once again, they are the best and with the best comes a high price (Look them up, they're impressive), they aligned the car to perfection, and its as stable as can be.

I'm keeping the 325i to throw all my long drive miles on, and my four door situations that may arise. Plus it has a lot of tasteful mods done to it that I couldn't part with, money isn't an issue at all - I just like to find the "interesting" cars it seems.

Her son (The owner for about a year) tracked the car at Laguna Seca, and Willows with a driver at the wheel, and then himself at the wheel. Things handled extremely well and went by smoothly he said. I will probably track the car once a month, or once every other month.

Last edited by HallisterJ1; 06-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
oh it has a Salvage title, yikes. you never mentioned that nor how beat the paint was before.

ok so what Dinan parts does it have?

for $8K you should just keep it if you have a 325 now.
It's a stage two dinan.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty-file

Car and Driver did a full review on my car.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
nice. you can even part out the car and make more than what you paid for.
I would say it's good buy for $8000!
That is my contingency plan if all else fails which I doubt, but you have to always have a backup plan.

I really can't lose money on this situation, which is why I strongly bought the car.

My mechanic has also agreed to buy all the M parts for me at wholesale price, which will save me thousands in the long run!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
HallisterJ1

When the car is in tip top condition, the only person I'll be selling it to is a fellow fanatic that can appreciate the car for what it is and its rarity and the amazing condition its in mechanically and soon to be cosmetically, not a "resale" value.

I've seen only 1 other Dinan M3 E46 in all of SD County, a lot more M5 Dinan's around here though.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
It's a stage two dinan.
Car and Driver did a full review on my car.
I know what a Dinan Stage 2 is. I mentioned it in your first thread. But I also mentioned that you obviously don't have the wheels and who knows what else you have or don't have of it. That's why I asked which Dinan parts you have on that car. It is not a complete Dinan Stage II.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #27
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I know what a Dinan Stage 2 is. I mentioned it in your first thread. But I also mentioned that you obviously don't have the wheels and who knows what else you have or don't have of it. That's why I asked which Dinan parts you have on that car. It is not a complete Dinan Stage II.
In terms of power parts, it's a Dinan Stage II.

The power parts on the vehicle as it sits right now include the air box, an airflow meter, and a muffler. As well it's paired with a 3.91 diff, an ECU Dinan tune, 12-position adjustable shocks and anti-roll bars, stiffer springs, front camber plates, bored out throttle bodies etc - I'm sure you've read it. Top speed limiter was removed. Does 189mph fine Dinan says.

Correction, you are right - the stage II bought from BMW did come with a new wheels package, I'm going to throw a random guess out there and say when the front end collision happened the front left wheel was damaged they just bought a new, and a stock set is easier to find then a Dinan set.

Either that, or the car was later transformed into a stage two Dinan M3 by the first original owner in its early early days - which would make some sense. The mechanic at BMW acknowledged it fully as a Dinan II M3 by the parts/suspension/muffler, he didn't say a word about the wheels.

I will be posting pictures of my engine bay/muffler/and what not later tonight/tomorrow morning!

Last edited by HallisterJ1; 06-21-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
choxor

My Ride: JDM
What year was it wrecked.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
What year was it wrecked.
Sorry that took so long, 2008 it received the damage to the front left of the vehicle.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #30
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
e46 m3 prices are going up in value. fyi for those who havent been following the market.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #31
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
oh wait salvaged title. LOL nvm
Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #32
qualicas

My Ride: 2002 M3
For what it is worth, I bought a 2002 M3 6 mt last year from California. It was a sunroof delete car. Body in great shape. Brought it to Canada and did all legal work. Just did it to see what an M3 was like. I went to sell it this year for as little as $15500. It was the cheapest M3 listed in ALL OF CANADA. Had NO calls or emails. Many looking at the ad but no responses. Canada prices are generally higher. Add a salvage title to that and you will almost have the $9500 2001 M3 convertible I walked away from in Las Vegas.
Enjoy the car but do not plan on any profit from it. My daughter sure enjoys mine.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #33
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Nice !! I'd have bought it too.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
Alex323Ci

yes I am eager to see these photos of engine bay parts and suspension. it sits now like it has stock suspension.

also in your first thread you said the lady was the Original Owner.
now you talk of another Original owner?? Also strange is if that was a dealer installed Dinan Stage II and the car was totaled, that's some VERY expensive damage to total it.

either way I would have bought it for a dedicated track car
Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #35
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
For what it is worth, I bought a 2002 M3 6 mt last year from California. It was a sunroof delete car. Body in great shape. Brought it to Canada and did all legal work. Just did it to see what an M3 was like. I went to sell it this year for as little as $15500. It was the cheapest M3 listed in ALL OF CANADA. Had NO calls or emails. Many looking at the ad but no responses. Canada prices are generally higher. Add a salvage title to that and you will almost have the $9500 2001 M3 convertible I walked away from in Las Vegas.
Enjoy the car but do not plan on any profit from it. My daughter sure enjoys mine.
May I ask the amount of miles you had on the car at the time, bone stock?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOCHO View Post
Nice find, especially with the Dinan goodies. Not to be nit-picky, but I'd fix that M3 badge on the rear deck. It's not in the right place and it's crooked. It would drive me nuts.
Actually - most M3 badges are crooked from the factory pre 2005 models. Doesn't mean it was wrong, that's how they were.

Last edited by Steezy; 06-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #37
karl hungus

My Ride: 2004 M3
Take the Dinan badge off - it will be worth more.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #38
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I will be posting pictures of my engine bay/muffler/and what not later tonight/tomorrow morning!
waiting to see more pictures. have yet to see the front view or even the interior as well. lets take a look at her, and all the Dinan goodies
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #39
Alex323Ci

Wink

Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #40
TopazID

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
mint E30 M3's market value is way up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to happen on a 2003 M3. That's not even going to happen on a 2009 M3.

You should keep the car, fix up what needs to be fixed, and enjoy it for its driving experience. An older-model M3 is not any sort of financial investment by any means.