E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Farm bill dies in Republican controlled House

Republicant's can't even pass bill they want (cuts food stamps, keeps farm subsidies), then blame the minority Democrats

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/us...uts.html?_r=3&

Last edited by bagher; 06-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.
bagher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
bloated, typical tactic. Take a good bill, stuff it with a bunch of unrelated crap...then when people realize it's full of stupid crap say "omg you failed to pass farm bill!"

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
the do nothings continue to.........................do nothing.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
bloated, typical tactic. Take a good bill, stuff it with a bunch of unrelated crap...then when people realize it's full of stupid crap say "omg you failed to pass farm bill!"
then why did Boehner want it passed?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
then why did Boehner want it passed?
maybe because he's a useless figurehead that no one likes?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z2

He's not the boss, the more actual conservatives in his party don't like him nor do they give a crap what he wants.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
maybe because he's a useless figurehead that no one likes?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z2

He's not the boss, the more actual conservatives in his party don't like him nor do they give a crap what he wants.
Trouble is, nobody seems to be the "boss" anymore in the GOP, which is remarkable given how the GOP has prided itself on being so organized in the past. Lately it is quickly devolving into an ungovernable rabble of squabbling factions. Perhaps, ironically and for better or worse, Tea Party libertarianism has truly taken root in the modern GOP.

Why anyone would want a party that can't even govern itself to govern the U.S. is beyond me. It seems the GOPs adeptness at politics and rhetoric has come at great expense to its capacity to actually govern.

Instead of positive, forward-looking strategic leadership of America into the 21st Century, it rather has sunk to an angry, resentful and reactionary party tactically trying to halt progress and regress into some imagined 19th century idyll.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Farm bill dies in Republican controlled House

Quote:
I dislike pork bills too.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Trouble is, nobody seems to be the "boss" anymore in the GOP, which is remarkable given how the GOP has prided itself on being so organized in the past. Lately it is quickly devolving into an ungovernable rabble of squabbling factions. Perhaps, ironically and for better or worse, Tea Party libertarianism has truly taken root in the modern GOP.

Why anyone would want a party that can't even govern itself to govern the U.S. is beyond me. It seems the GOPs adeptness at politics and rhetoric has come at great expense to its capacity to actually govern.

Instead of positive, forward-looking strategic leadership of America into the 21st Century, it rather has sunk to an angry, resentful and reactionary party tactically trying to halt progress and regress into some imagined 19th century idyll.
Man, you are one biased Democrat. The ignorance that comes with being so polar.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
What did he say that was so wrong? I think his description of the current status of the GOP is fairly accurate. The leadership is weak and alot of the politics is quite angry, fear driven, and out of touch. Even Jon Huntsman has criticized the GOP for its weak leadership, fear based tone, and, essentially, being a party of anti-intellectualism.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
What did he say that was so wrong? I think his description of the current status of the GOP is fairly accurate. The leadership is weak and alot of the politics is quite angry, fear driven, and out of touch. Even Jon Huntsman has criticized the GOP for its weak leadership, fear based tone, and, essentially, being a party of anti-intellectualism.
Huntsman was criticized for being a vacuous, preppy, effete pretty boy who would have been eaten alive more than Romney. If America thought Mittens was out of touch, you really think anyone would have warmed to this poster boy for the private country club set?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
ti317

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
the do nothings continue to.........................do nothing.
Every farm Bill has been a pork laden Christmas tree of give always for the shiftless and big agribusiness.
If all they can do is pass a Bill like that, doing nothing is a pretty good option.

Speaking of do nothings, Democrat controlled Senate passed its first Budget in 5 years, Yaay! Pity it hasn't been reconciled yet.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Huntsman was criticized for being a vacuous, preppy, effete pretty boy who would have been eaten alive more than Romney. If America thought Mittens was out of touch, you really think anyone would have warmed to this poster boy for the private country club set?
I read something different. He was the only one preicted that could beat Obama. He judt wasnt the GOP puppet that Romney was willing to be. I certainly was onboard with Huntsman. I still am provided he chooses to run again.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Independent actually, former Republican who even worked for a Republican Senator way back in the day.

As others mentioned, my perspective is hardly unique, even among more than a few Republicans. As for Huntsman, he was the only 2012 contender I would have seriously considered but apparently he was too serious and rational for the bulk of today's GOP who apparently are more interested in rhetorical fire and brimstone lashed the ultra conservative ideological orthodoxy.

Quite honestly, in today's GOP, even the venerated R. Reagan would be considered a RINO with no hope making it past the earliest of primaries. Until a Huntsman can be seriously considered and even fielded by the GOP as a POTUS candidate, I think they will be consigned to the wilderness as a national level party.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
ti317

Quote:
I read something different. He was the only one preicted that could beat Obama. He judt wasnt the GOP puppet that Romney was willing to be. I certainly was onboard with Huntsman. I still am provided he chooses to run again.
Hilary couldn't beat Obama and you think that light weight could have? He never reached double digits in the polls did he? He made Romney and Ted Kennedy look ethnic. The only advantage he had was being fluent in Mandarin so he could communicate with his bosses in their native tongue.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
badfast

Quote:
Hilary couldn't beat Obama and you think that light weight could have? He never reached double digits in the polls did he? He made Romney and Ted Kennedy look ethnic. The only advantage he had was being fluent in Mandarin so he could communicate with his bosses in their native tongue.
Huntsman's ability to speak Mandarin and being the former Chinese ambassador does more to manage our relationship with our greatest adversary and partner in today's age. More that can be said about Romney's ability to speak French and attempt to convert people to Mormons.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
ti317

Quote:
Independent actually, former Republican who even worked for a Republican Senator way back in the day.

As others mentioned, my perspective is hardly unique, even among more than a few Republicans. As for Huntsman, he was the only 2012 contender I would have seriously considered but apparently he was too serious and rational for the bulk of today's GOP who apparently are more interested in rhetorical fire and brimstone lashed the ultra conservative ideological orthodoxy.

Quite honestly, in today's GOP, even the venerated R. Reagan would be considered a RINO with no hope making it past the earliest of primaries. Until a Huntsman can be seriously considered and even fielded by the GOP as a POTUS candidate, I think they will be consigned to the wilderness as a national level party.
Your political perspective is more often a product of geography than party. A New England Republican is usually to the left of. Mississippi Democrat.

You parrot the line that Reagan would have been dubbed a RINO but I challenge you to read "Reagan in his own words", a collection of his self authored speeches and radio broadcasts and try to defend that statement.
Reagan could not have visualized the Big Government Republicanism of G. W. Bush.

As for Huntsman, name me the centerpiece of his campaign philosophy if you can.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Rhumb

Re: Farm bill dies in Republican controlled House

Quote:
Your political perspective is more often a product of geography than party. A New England Republican is usually to the left of. Mississippi Democrat.

You parrot the line that Reagan would have been dubbed a RINO but I challenge you to read "Reagan in his own words", a collection of his self authored speeches and radio broadcasts and try to defend that statement.
Reagan could not have visualized the Big Government Republicanism of G. W. Bush.

As for Huntsman, name me the centerpiece of his campaign philosophy if you can.
Pretty true about geography, though the moderate Republican from any locale has been drummed out of the party.

As for Reagan, I would present his actions as president over his proclaimed words to divine his actual political identity, which I would still contend falls cleanly in RINO territory for the bulk of today's GOP.

As for Huntsman, reason, rationality and moderation could be a good summary, but perhaps that his political thinking exceeded the confines of a bumper sticker says more about the man.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #18
ti317

Quote:
Pretty true about geography, though the moderate Republican from any locale has been drummed out of the party.

As for Reagan, I would present his actions as president over his proclaimed words to divine his actual political identity, which I would still contend falls cleanly in RINO territory for the bulk of today's GOP.

As for Huntsman, reason, rationality and moderation could be a good summary, but perhaps that his political thinking exceeded the confines of a bumper sticker says more about the man.
What actions? His wholesale dismissal of illegally striking air traffic controllers? His hard line on weapons treaty negotiations? His push for airline deregulation? His emphasis on missile defense? His push for lower marginal tax rates? Ronald Reagan majored in economics in college and was a consummate conservative supply sider.
Which Republican nominee or President since Reagan has been as conservative? Name one!

Did he accomplish all of his ideological goals? Of course not but neither did Clinton, both Bush's or Obama.
Don't buy all you hear on TV or talk radio, or read in the papers or online. Is McConnell a raving right wing nut? Boehner? There are many on both fringes, the difference is that hardly any stupid remarks made by Jim McDermot, Allan Grayson, Bobby Rush and the left fringe of the DNP make headlines but any GOP jackass tat pops off is broadcast ad inifinitum as the voice of the GOP.
I think it more accurate to say that JFK could not get nominated under the Democratic ticket today.

Just saying Huntsman is reasoned and rational and moderate doesn't make him so. Every leader needs a mission statement, not necessarily a slogan, Huntsman had no agenda other than being elected President.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
ti317

Quote:
Huntsman's ability to speak Mandarin and being the former Chinese ambassador does more to manage our relationship with our greatest adversary and partner in today's age. More that can be said about Romney's ability to speak French and attempt to convert people to Mormons.
Language fluency is very useful for an ambassador but is marginally useful for a head of state who almost always holds meaningful talks through the services of a translator.
I am willing to bet you were no where near as derisive of John Kerry's fluency in French when he was a candidate.
In this day of an increasingly diverse electorate, Huntsman is so WASPy and patrician, he would have been beaten worse than Mondale.

By the way, Herbert Hoover was fluent in Mandarin. How did that wok out for us?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
ti317

Truth test, both Badfast and Rhumb, would either of you really have voted for Huntsman over Obama? I'm willing to bet the truthful answer would be no. I am always tickled when I see people try to build up candidates try would never vote for.