E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
XI Facts, Fiction and what-nots

I purchased my XI six years ago. However, it took another couple years reading to identify differences between these and non-XI's. Especially for new XI owners landing here, an overview of what's - what, may be useful?

Chime in with comments, corrections and additions. Try to keep the points general to what is different and not items based from your personal modifications.

1) CV boots. The boots can tear or clamps may loosen causing loss of lube leading to CV failure. The boots should be inspected every oil change.

2) Lowering. They can be lowered and many claim success. The amount to drop and methods vary. XI specific aftermarket kits are offered. This is subjective, but some report axle/CV or boot wear issues after lowering. The drive angle goes from a downward tilt to aiming horizontal or upward. Some suggest changing this drive angle was never factory engineered and may create premature failure.

3) CAB. The front control arms and bushings including other front end components are different from rear-wheel drive cars. The XI CAB's are not as prone to wear as quickly as our non-XI friends. The aftermarket offers stiffer flavors with XI part numbers.

4) Exhaust. You have a butterfly valve in one of the muffler tips. Remove and plug the vacuum line at the muffler vac. actuator to open up the flapper and enjoy a throatier exhaust tone. There are very few cat-back systems to be found due to XI specific tail-pipe routing but you can swap the muffler. Most non-M, E46 aftermarket mufflers should work.

5) Steptronic. The XI auto-trans is made by GM. The proper fluid specification is critical. Reverse failure often posted is not common to these. BMW used two transmission suppliers (ZF) being more common to rear wheel drive cars.

6) Subframe. Reported XI percentage of failure (tearing metal per BMW recall) is low. I spoke with BMWNA who indicated 2001 and later XI's really do not experiance this issue.

7) Oil. These have larger capacity oil pans 7.5 - 8 quarts.

8) Wheels and Tires. Non-XI sizing will work for ranging in on your rim and tire choice. The fender gap is the only difference, sizes and offset are the same. Four wheel drive may have some considerations. Some do not recommend wider wheels on the rear than front. This "staggered" setup where sizing exceeds the recommended circumference may introduce stress under turning where drive components may be affected. Something also occurring with tire shops: if you have worn tires and damage one, they have to replace all four tires. Installing one new tire with the remaining three being worn may damage drive components or make ABS unsafe from the slight diameter difference.

9) XI floor mats and carpet fitment is different. The factory carpet mat on the drivers side rides up on the trans tunnel. OEM rubber mats for XI's will lay down in the footwell not riding up, leaving an exposed carpet retainer hole.

10) Springs and suspension. The XI requires specific parts where it is recommended to research all part numbers before ordering. Coil-over systems are also XI part specific.

11) Strut tower reinforcement rings are factory installed on the XI. These plates are located under the strut hat tower and are identified on the towers by two black rivets holding the plates secure below. Note: these also are installed with the rough-road package option.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 05-11-2013 at 10:44 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Koffinb

My Ride: 04 330xi 6spd
Are you sure? I thought the oil pan was only different for certain years of the XI
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
chilone

My Ride: 04 330xi, 97 Miata
Very nice F.Y.I. !!
chilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffinb View Post
Are you sure? I thought the oil pan was only different for certain years of the XI
Changes from the standard drive version are:
A specially designed body pan with a widened transmission tunnel and modifications on
the driver's side to accept the transfer case.
Modified oil pan and engine mounts to provide access for the front axles.
A completely new front engine carrier.
Re-reinforcements for the front strut bearings.
A compact new transfer case (NV 124).
New transmission cross-member.
Bosch DSC III 5.7

PDF below with more
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E46xi.pdf (195.2 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by djbradle; 05-07-2013 at 04:37 PM.
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Koffinb

My Ride: 04 330xi 6spd
But think about it..just because there is a different oil pan doesnt mean the engine holds more oil/ The oil pan is just where the oil sits when the engine is not running.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
JKid

My Ride: 2005 325xi
As a new XI owner, I thank you!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
bmwporschefan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
But think about it..just because there is a different oil pan doesnt mean the engine holds more oil/ The oil pan is just where the oil sits when the engine is not running.
In my owners manual it say it holds 8. When I do an oil change, it is not full until I put 8 quarts in.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwporschefan View Post
In my owners manual it say it holds 8. When I do an oil change, it is not full until I put 8 quarts in.
Mine holds 7ish. The newer models have smaller oil pans or so it seems.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
jmo69

My Ride: 2003 325xi e36 328is
I bought 8 qts for an oil change on my 2003 325xi and 7 filled it. Build date of 10/2002 if that matters.

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post

11) Strut tower reinforcement rings are factory installed on the XI.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
GotVANOS?

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
Quote:

3) CAB. The front control arms and bushings including other front end components are different from rear-wheel drive cars. The XI CAB's are not as prone to wear as quickly as our non-XI friends. The aftermarket offers stiffer flavors with XI part numbers.
I swear somewhere I read that the FCABS on XIs are the same as E36 RWDs

Quote:
It does hold more oil. I've topped mine off with 8 quarts before. The oil pan on XIs is totally different the front axels run through it.

[QUOTE=TR4G-;15412385]What does this mean? I'm curious

These-> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&g...51%3B798%3B450

Stut tower mushrooming is common on E46s/E36s

Shes not your average grocery getter. This 2.5L of fury doesnt mess around.

E21<E30>E36>E46>E90>F30

Quote:
5TFUUU, If one more person tells me to sell my car and buy an ///M Im going to light their family on fire and make them watch.
*****BUY MY 330XI AUTO TRANS AND PARTS. CHEAP!!!******

Last edited by GotVANOS?; 05-10-2013 at 06:45 AM.
GotVANOS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
SamDoe1

My strut towers do not have reinforcing rings.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
TR4G-

Ah gotcha. Mine have those. Noticed for the first time the other day. Does anyone ever install extra reinforcement places over those?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
White_Knuckles

Hmmm, about those strut rings.

Recently, Kubica pointed out the XI came with them from the factory. The discussion was, if you lower your car with stiff struts or coil-overs, the additional force may mushroom the strut towers. I pointed out the aftermarket has reinforcement rings to prevent this. Others replied they already have the rings or they thought there was extra sheetmetal added for this.

So, let's find out what the deal is. I looked at my car and agree, I can't see additional support rings. The metal looks pretty beefy but have no clue what the I's may have. Mine is an '03.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 05-11-2013 at 12:21 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
SamDoe1

Quote:
Hmmm, about those strut rings.

So, let's find out what the deal is. I looked at my car and agree, I can't see additional support rings. The metal looks pretty beefy but have no clue what the I's may have. Mine is an '03.
Mine is an 04 (03/04 build date) and doesn't have the rings.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #16
TR4G-

I have an 01 (prod 11/2000) I also have my car lowered on KW V1s.

Are there extra reinforcement plate I can add in addition to the xi stock ones?

Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
White_Knuckles

^^ I'm going to post another thread to get this question resolved. I've seen the rings offered by Turner and ECS and of course strut tie- bars binding the towers together which have mounting rings that would beef them up. Those products indicate they fit all E46 cars.

I've also seen pics where the affect of mushrooming has the strut bolts pointing in different angled directions. One thread discussed how to hammer the metal back down in order to fit the ring over the bolts. Yikes!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
athayer187

My Ride: 2004 330xi

I have a good one - while they carry a different P/N, 330xi and 330i cats/headers are dimensionally identical. Set with O2's is from an xi, the other is from a 330i.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1368467895.773362.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	505379
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1368467907.014669.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	505380

1988 535is - EAT chip, style 5 wheels for track, style 29 wheels for street, urethane UCAB's,
urethane trans mounts, 500/450 IE Coilovers, UUC SSK, Mason Engineering strut bars,
Hella H1/H4 headlights, Schroth Rallye 3's, Dinan 25/19 swaybars, 750i brakes
2004 330xi - stock except for UUC SSK, RE RSM's, Koni Yellows, UUC TSE1
athayer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
White_Knuckles

^^ That is a good one. I'll collect some more and add them.

Our exhaust systems still look alien too me. Germans, geez, why didn't they simply make a header? 2 Cats on an in-line 6? Really? What are they doin' over there?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
chilone

My Ride: 04 330xi, 97 Miata
Quote:
What are they doin' over there?
Schnapps

Last edited by chilone; 05-14-2013 at 08:59 AM.
chilone is offline   Reply With Quote