E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Fire danger? I'll take 100% controllable charcoal to an exploding propane tank anyday. It's only a fire danger if you do something really REALLY stupid.
+1 Never a flaming hose leak that turns into a visit from the fire dept on a Weber charcoal grill.

Perhaps, if you store gasoline next to the Weber and then find a way to knock the hot grill over onto said storage container...?

Brew, please explain what you are doing with the grill exactly that would cause it to be a fire hazard.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
that lump wood charcoal is nice, but it gets hot as hell and burns really fast and cools down too much if you choke it down. hard to control, so i like briquettes or a combo of the two.

anyone have a smokenator for their weber? use mine every now and then. turns your weber into a smoker.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
+1 Never a flaming hose leak that turns into a visit from the fire dept on a Weber charcoal grill.

Perhaps, if you store gasoline next to the Weber and then find a way to knock the hot grill over onto said storage container...?

Brew, please explain what you are doing with the grill exactly that would cause it to be a fire hazard.
We live in the high desert - where it gets super, super dry in the summer. And super windy. When dumping coals from the starter chimney into the grill, I've had cinders fall through the vents at the bottom and get blown out onto the ground. I've also had bits of burning paper at the bottom of the chimney get blown up into the air. If one of those cinders or bits of paper got blown into dry grass - which would typically be about 35 feet from where I like to grill, we'd be screwed. I'm always a little sketched out grilling on hot, windy days. I can't just set the grill and forget it, I have to watch it.

With a propane grill, your fuel can't travel in the wind. Your BBQ may turn into a 5 foot wall of flame, but that's about it. It's not going anywhere. An exploding tank is incredibly unlikely.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
We live in the high desert - where it gets super, super dry in the summer. And super windy. When dumping coals from the starter chimney into the grill, I've had cinders fall through the vents at the bottom and get blown out onto the ground. I've also had bits of burning paper at the bottom of the chimney get blown up into the air. If one of those cinders or bits of paper got blown into dry grass - which would typically be about 35 feet from where I like to grill, we'd be screwed. I'm always a little sketched out grilling on hot, windy days. I can't just set the grill and forget it, I have to watch it.

With a propane grill, your fuel can't travel in the wind. Your BBQ may turn into a 5 foot wall of flame, but that's about it. It's not going anywhere. An exploding tank is incredibly unlikely.
Hmmm, I guess I never had those conditions, but I can see the concern. Sure I have flaming embers flying around (especially when using moist wood) but it's nothing that would set anything on fire. If you live somewhere with a lot of that dry grass stuff, then I guess I can see the problem.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #25
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07...than-charcoal/

Quote:
Your food doesn't know what's creating the heat below it, and once charcoal is hot, there aren't any aromatic compounds left in the coals. According to the food science bible Modernist Cuisine, "Carbon is carbon; as it burns, it imparts no flavor of its own to the food being grilled."

The characteristic flavor of grilled food comes from the drippings, not the fuel. When those drippings hit the heat source below, the oils, sugars, and proteins burst into smoke and flame. That heat creates new complex molecules that rise in the smoke and warm air to coat the food you're grilling.
http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07...tter-than-gas/

Quote:
Of course, even food cooked on a gas grill gives off aromas - all food does. But food grilled over a charcoal flame has a special one: guaiacol.

Guaiacol is an aroma compound produced when you use heat to break down lignin, the resin responsible for holding strands of cellulose together to form wood. "It has a smoky, spicy, bacony aroma," says Sacks. "In fact, the flavor that most people associate with bacon is largely degraded lignin."

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961

Last edited by Brucifer325; 07-05-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Brucifer325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
We live in the high desert - where it gets super, super dry in the summer. And super windy.
'nuff said. I would move. Sounds like you live in a tinderbox just waiting for a spark.

Imagine the smokey flavor you could get from the neighbor's house.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
joeski3d

This was pretty good, btw.
I altered the marinade a bit... really, soak the steak in whatever you prefer. It should produce excellent results.

I use a cast iron skillet. No spray needed.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...r-Steak-236873

Ballbusters Inc.

Last edited by joeski3d; 07-10-2013 at 09:03 AM.