E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Question Difference in Armani Lines (Giorgio vs Emporio, Mani, etc)

OK clothes snobs, help me out.

What's the deal with the different Armani lines? I always just sort of thought that Emporio Armani was sort of like the DKNY - ie the lower line of stuff (as compared to Giorgio and plain old Donna Karan). But now I'm seeing things like Armani MANI line, which are selling at what seem to be extreme bargains, to the point where I wonder if they're fake. Is Mani like their attempt at consumer level stuff? I assume black label is the top of the line. How many steps down is each of the other stuff?

Also, is there a fake Armani market out there (like there is with Rolexes)?
Old 07-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #2
M3PinoyDriver
Banned

My Ride: 03 M3 02 Carrera
Armani Exchange is more of a casual look and for younger people, Giorgio Armani I think is for suits, and I think Emporio Armani is like dressier. This thread reminds me I gotta turn in my apps for AX

Edit: ohh yea and I never heard of Armani Mani
M3PinoyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 05:22 PM   #3
Chase265
Suck it easy.............

My Ride: A BIG POS
Send a message via AIM to Chase265
i think the best analogy i can use is the banana republic/gap/old navy comparison..that goes with gorgio armani/emporio armani/ and a/x

does that make any sense
Old 07-19-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

My Ride: '02 330Ci,'01 M3,M4
Giorgio Armani <- black label
Emporio Armani <- DKNY to Donna Karan
Armani Collezioni <- Special to certain Department Stores
Armani Jeans <- Armani's own Diesel type line
AX <- officially licenced items, not nessarily designed by G/A

MANI <- Macy's (Federated Department Stores) private line with items designed by Armani exclusively for Macy's. Designs are different and line is good value but comparable to Collezioni Line. Maybe slightly lower.

I wouldnt doubt there is a counterfeit Armani market out there. however it really doesnt make sense. Armani is about the cut and style not the label. So the counterfeits will only have a counterfeited label with out the styles or quality expected of Genuine G/A products.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:36 PM   #5
Dave

ah, forgot about A/X. That's just casual clothes and stuff though. I'm looking at suits.

Collezioni seems to be pretty good though, the retail values are up in the 1800 range. Those are higher priced than the Emporio suits I saw. Then of course the black label are up over 2k.

There are of course ridiculous deals online, which are nice, except for the fact that because I'm awesome I require a much larger jacket than the pants, so I have to buy separates. And I'm a snob so stuff like Jones New York (the best that stupid S+K has) just won't do.

Not that I have the money to pay for even one suit, mind you, but there's always store credit
Old 07-19-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
Harvinator
Oaf

My Ride: 330 ci
Send a message via AIM to Harvinator
dave, check out hugo boss and zegna suits. they are just as good as armani and you might be able to get deals on them too (not sure though)...boss, for example, has outlet stores.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:14 PM   #7
trybaljedi
XXXX

My Ride: XXXX.
Send a message via AIM to trybaljedi
Quote:
Originally posted by Harvinator
dave, check out hugo boss and zegna suits. they are just as good as armani and you might be able to get deals on them too (not sure though)...boss, for example, has outlet stores.
Hugo Boss makes hands down the best cut suits on the market. I just picked up a custom tailored Brooks Brothers suit and it still doesnt fit as nicely as some of my Hugo Boss suits have. It makes average looking people look great. Not that Im an average looking person. haha..

Last edited by trybaljedi; 07-19-2003 at 06:17 PM.
trybaljedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
blue_bimma
E46

My Ride: BMW
I believe his labels are arranged like this ($$$ order)

Giorgio Armani Borgonuovo 21 (AKA: black label)
Giorgio Armani: Le Collezioni (20% cheaper then the black label, correction MrMotorWerk: Actual boutique label, not specific only to dept. stores)
Mani
Emporio Armani
Armani Jeans
A/X Armani Exchange

Other Armani brands (Neve, Golf, Classico) are diffusions for department stores. They fall somewhere in between the list

Last edited by blue_bimma; 07-19-2003 at 06:45 PM.
blue_bimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:31 PM   #9
Dave

I know - Boss are supposed to be best for guys like me too, all the NHL guys wear Boss. I was just looking at a site that had Armani.

For the interim, I just got a CK suit, no big deal, but for 40 bucks! Heh. Maybe I'll just get a few of these to wear till I get a few paychecks and a bankroll...
Old 07-19-2003, 07:00 PM   #10
M3PinoyDriver
Banned

My Ride: 03 M3 02 Carrera
Zegna suit is my favorite
M3PinoyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:28 PM   #11
andy 323i

My Ride: a gas guzzler
Send a message via AIM to andy 323i
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I know - Boss are supposed to be best for guys like me too, all the NHL guys wear Boss. I was just looking at a site that had Armani.

For the interim, I just got a CK suit, no big deal, but for 40 bucks! Heh. Maybe I'll just get a few of these to wear till I get a few paychecks and a bankroll...

wATER loo ???

andy 323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:35 PM   #12
Dave

you drunk or sOMe thing?
Old 07-19-2003, 08:05 PM   #13
BigTyminRolla

My Ride: '04 G Coupe
Canali and Baldressini (sp?, its made by Boss, his higher end line where the suits retail for around 2k) makes what I beleive to be the best suit, followed by in no particular order: Zegna, Boss and Versace (his suits are sick looking).
BigTyminRolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:11 PM   #14
Ward

My Ride: 2011 335is coupe
I'm pretty sure Mani isnt made in Italy like the rest of the higher end Armani line. Its made in Canada I think
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:46 PM   #15
blue_bimma
E46

My Ride: BMW
I'm a suit whore, and I have virtually every brand out there. Dolce & Gabbana, Gianfranco Ferre, Valentino, Zegna, Versace, Hugo Boss, and Gorgio Armani. To be frank, an Armani suit is like a Rolex watch. There are more expensive watches out there, but everyone recognizes and respects Rolex. Also, I've gotten way more copliments on my Armani suits then others.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #16
emmo

My Ride: 2001 Jet Black 330CI
a/x isn't even owned by Armani
emmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:54 PM   #17
hartge

My Ride: 325i ZSP/ZPP
try brioni....then you'll start feeling like 007 , just don't say your name is bond..james bond! lol
hartge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:33 PM   #18
playinJ30
The Achiever

My Ride: WB SC 328Ci & 545i
Send a message via AIM to playinJ30
Quote:
Originally posted by Roshan

Hugo Boss makes hands down the best cut suits on the market. I just picked up a custom tailored Brooks Brothers suit and it still doesnt fit as nicely as some of my Hugo Boss suits have. It makes average looking people look great. Not that Im an average looking person. haha..

werd.. i own 2 HB suits and an HB tux... i don't think i'll ever buy another brand
playinJ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:50 PM   #19
jhc

My Ride: 2003 TiAg 330Ci
I have a Zegna suit, and it has by far the best material. I've tried the Hugo Boss suits, and they tend to be designed to give men a triangle look. The wool is not as nice, but bigger guys tend to find the jackets more comfortable. My favorite suit right now is a black suit from Ralph Lauren "Purple Label", because the cut is very European, excellent lines, and double vent. I actually had to "special order" this... was worth the wait.

So...
Zegna: Highest quality material and stitch: the best mills
Armani: Most fashionable design. Crappy quality. Stitching sucks.
Ralph Lauren Purple Label: Best compromise between Zegna's quality and Armani's trendy design.
Hugo Boss: Some people like it, but if you wear one, if feels like you have a coat on... it doesn't hug your body like the other designer brands do. And the wool is worse than Armani... IMHO.

Oh, and Brioni is a little above my league. Not willing to spend $6K just for a suit.

Hope this helps.

-J
jhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:14 PM   #20
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
brioni makes a 100k suit.