E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #41
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Back to what is relevant, today was another rough day. Mother was in a bad mood (shocking), and couldn't understand why Ashley wasn't speaking to her. (Because they fought all week with no resolution) She states "...if you aren't happy here you can move the hell out" Ashley doesn't even respond and just walks out on her way to work, mom slams the door and locks it behind her just to prove a point. I hate watching her be treated like that, and hearing this over and over each day just makes me closer and closer to writing the mother a letter myself. Am I out of line to do this? It would be completely professional and polite and just sharing my observations and the reason be because of how much I care for her daughter and I intend to stay in the picture for a long time and just want the best for everybody, and here is how I think you guys could be better off etc etc. I would hate to fuel the fire though, so I don't know. I just hate hearing about her own house being a stressful place to be. It sucks.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Write the letter, but don't give it to her. Instead, speak with her directly. If she shuts off the conversation you can always hand her the letter on your way out as she latches the door behind you.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #43
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I Cannot stand my Girlfriend's Family

This is a family matter. You are not a family member. It's not your place, regardless of what you feel about gf, gf mom, or gf family.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #44
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Talking to her and writing to her would make sense if she were rational and simply missing the point of her behavior. The way you describe it makes it clear that she knows exactly what she's doing. Her behavior is a way to exert power over her children. You calling her out on it is not going to do anything productive. Your GF needs to remove herself from that toxic orbit and get on with her life away from her mother.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #45
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
This is a family matter. You are not a family member. It's not your place, regardless of what you feel about gf, gf mom, or gf family.
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I can agree to a point however if the family is comfortable enough to be like that around you and drop the usual "appearences" then it's essentially giving you a pass as a concerned individual in my opinion. It's like seeing a mother beating her child excessively on the street, you have the right to alert the authorities of such abuse despite it not being your child or family. If he stumbled on to this "secret" by accident then I would reserve out right conversation on the matter and only address the concern with my girlfriend in private and leave it at that till I saw further signs of emotional/physical harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Talking to her and writing to her would make sense if she were rational and simply missing the point of her behavior. The way you describe it makes it clear that she knows exactly what she's doing. Her behavior is a way to exert power over her children. You calling her out on it is not going to do anything productive. Your GF needs to remove herself from that toxic orbit and get on with her life away from her mother.
Sadly it seems the family at a hole is passed the point of rationality, it definitely is a grey area between let me take you out of this toxicity and I can't force you to do anything you don't want to do. As odd is it may sound if he were to "pull" her from the situation she could end up resenting him for forcing the choice out of her hands. It's definitely a situation she has to come to terms with and decide on her own enough is enough.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #46
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Haven't read the whole tread, just the OP.

2 options:
-Stay with her and make plans to move as far away from her family as possible.
-Dump her and not have to deal with the family drama that could be a lifetime worth of headaches.

Unfortunately when you get married or are in a relationship, family is a factor. The longer you're together the more significant their involvement will be most of the time. IMHO the only option if you want to stay with her is to run far, far away.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #47
ams07r

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Good advice has been said, however, I would like to reiterate that this isn't a problem that you can/should fix. Unfortunately, you can only help your GF and not her family. I was in a similar place with my ex. Her mother was a lunatic who even refused to house her when she was between school and work for 2 weeks because it impeded on her new life with her new husband. All I could do was provide the mother and her husband with proper courtesy when I HAD to see them and never spoke to them for longer than necessary. If I had to help them with something, I did; then I left as fast and as politely as I could. The point is not to start confrontations or engage in petty disputes, but to clearly show that you have ABSOLUTELY no reason to tolerate it. This kind of s**t sucks though, good luck brother.
ams07r is online now   Reply With Quote