E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
davef0rd

My Ride: 320ci
e46 Coupe Epic SQ build thread! (PXA-H800, JL W7, PDX, SPZ) Lots of pics!!

Hey guys,
Been watching this forum for quite some time and have been inspired by some pretty sweet audio installs from other members.

And now that all my audio gear has finally arrived, I think it's time to tear the e46 coupe apart and tackle an install myself.

The gear:
Head unit - Pioneer AVH-P4250 + Bluetooth CD-BTB200 + Hideaway Nav AVIC-F220
Digital Processing - Alpine PXA-H800 + RUX C800
Fronts -Boston SPZs (150rms x 2)
Rears- Boston SR-60 (85rms x 2)
Amps - Alpine PDX-F6 (4x150rms), PDX-F4 (4x100rms) and PDX-M6 (mono 600rms)
Sub - JL Audio 8w7 (500rms)
Sound deadening - 5x Dynamat extreme bulk pack, dynaliner and dynaxorb
Cables - Monster cable

The goal of this install is total sq and has too look as factory as possible.
So far I have decided on bridging the alpine F6 amp and run 300rms to each of the Boston SPZ's midbases. Then use the PDX-f4 amp to run 100rms to each tweeter and 100rms to each of the rears. There will also be around 600rms running to that baby JL w7

I normally wouldn't worry about rear fill, but with the addition of the Alpine sound processor, 4.2 surround sound goodness will be achieved.

Anyways enough of me talking about it, here's some pics of the car and the gear, now time for me to get to work!

The car:

The gear:

Last edited by davef0rd; 07-24-2013 at 05:39 AM.
davef0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
davef0rd

Decided the first order of business was to tackle the head unit.

It was surprisingly a real easy job thanks to all the helpful diy’s from other members.

Here’s a couple I found the most useful:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359575
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=572795

Started off by pulling out the dash trim, radio and HVAC unit

Anyone who has tackled the double din install before knows that there’s no way this thing is going in without a few tiny modifications. And one of the first is to cut out a hole in the air conditioning box big enough to accommodate the new double din head unit

Modified the original radios mounting bracket with some mdf and sheet metal to get a nice fit for the new head unit

Testing the new head unit bracket to make sure it clears the a/c box

Alignment to make sure the head unit will fit perfectly in the new bracket

Installation of the Alpine PDX-M6 optional bass controller knob.
As I’m going for a factory look it I thought a nice clean place to put the knob would be on the same strip of plastic where the ASC button is located

Laid the RCA’s and the other cables (man I hate laying cables). Also made a shelf out of sheet metal and dynamated it to the a/c box. This will give the new head unit some much needed mounting depth.

Put the AC unit back in. Now just got to put the rest of the trim back on!!

And here’s the finished product of the head unit installation stage

Next up will be the mounting of the Reverse cam, Bluetooth unit, hideaway nav and the RUX-C800
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
davef0rd

Thanks Jeff! Can't wait to get the pxa-h800 and spz 's in.. Hopefully it will sound amazing!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
BoostinBen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Looks Great so far... going to keep an eye on this thread for sure! looks like you are going all out .. I just picked up a pioneer double din for my new 2001 330ci (my first bmw) . I am looking to do something similar to yours but hopefully i am going to try and take it in small steps. I am still learning everything i can specific to our cars about installing aftermarket audio. Hope you dont mind if i ask a couple questions..

At this point i have only gotten the stuff to install my HU (double din trim, bezel, steering control adapter) and am trying to determine if i can install my HU alone and leave the rest of the HK speakers alone for the time being. Down the road i am going to replace my stock sub and component speakers. im still not 100% if i can run this HU to my stock speakers for now, then upgrade them like you did later.. or if i have to remove the stock amp and replace it with an aftermarket one.

Also does that one have a motorized face? I just got the AVH-8500BHS and was a bit worried about the clearance on the face when it swings out to insert a disc.
BoostinBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
davef0rd

Pretty sweet choice in car Boostin!

Yep it should be no problem to install the new pioneer HU with the factory amp running. When selecting the cable harness im pretty sure you should go with the one that has the rcas on it...

However looking at a picture of the harness it only has 4 rca outs.. so it looks like its missing the other two for the sub or the fronts are rears run off the same cables.. No doubt there is a few threads regarding this so a quick search and something should come up.

As for the clearance on the pioneer head unit, i was a bit skeptical at first as well ,but the screen comes straight out so no problems there..

anyways, chuck a few pictures up when you get it done!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
folgrz
stop looking at me swan

My Ride: 06 AW ZCP
wow the alignment on that pioneer headunit looks flawless. Great job!

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG_M3
folgrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
98navi0314

My Ride: 02 330ci TiAg
I have a feeling this is going to be a nice, clean setup. Can't wait for the final outcome!
98navi0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
davef0rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by folgrz View Post
wow the alignment on that pioneer headunit looks flawless. Great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98navi0314 View Post
I have a feeling this is going to be a nice, clean setup. Can't wait for the final outcome!
Thanks guys, I'm hoping the rest turns out just as clean!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
BoostinBen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
thanks for the info and the shot of the HU with the face out, makes me feel a bit better that i wont run into any trouble ..

Does your car have factory HK sound? From the research ive been doing on the board I have concluded that I should get the Metra 70-8590 harness.. I dont think it has the RCA's on it? But they are pretty inexpensive so .. guess i will get both if i need to ..

One day ill pony up and replace the speakers and amp, cant wait to see how the setup works out for you. Great write up so far.
BoostinBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
LydMekk

My Ride: BMW 330CiA
Very nice!

LydMekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
Look'n good!

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
LydMekk

My Ride: BMW 330CiA
Btw, by cutting into that airbox, will it impede the airflow through some of the vents or the defroster to the front window? Do you notice any problem with the airflow afterwards?

Thinking of buying a new system based on an Pioneer HU like yours for my own car.

LydMekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
davef0rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinBen View Post
thanks for the info and the shot of the HU with the face out, makes me feel a bit better that i wont run into any trouble ..

Does your car have factory HK sound? From the research ive been doing on the board I have concluded that I should get the Metra 70-8590 harness.. I dont think it has the RCA's on it? But they are pretty inexpensive so .. guess i will get both if i need to ..

One day ill pony up and replace the speakers and amp, cant wait to see how the setup works out for you. Great write up so far.
ahh, the one with the rcas must be for the system with the nav then... Im pretty sure you might have to make your own rcas to plug into the back of the pioneer then. And nup i didnt have the factory HK sound so probably not the best person to give advice..haha
Also the factory sound should sound heaps better once you chuck that pioneer in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
Very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
Look'n good!
Cheers guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
Btw, by cutting into that airbox, will it impede the airflow through some of the vents or the defroster to the front window? Do you notice any problem with the airflow afterwards?

Thinking of buying a new system based on an Pioneer HU like yours for my own car.
nup, i actually haven't noticed any performance issues at all.. Works just like before!
And i would definitely go for a pioneer unit, they work great!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Moldskred

My Ride: e46 coupe
Where did you get that headunit? Anything special for Australia?
Moldskred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
davef0rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldskred View Post
Where did you get that headunit? Anything special for Australia?
ohh i got it online a couple of years ago, its a pretty old model now i think.. i actually got most of the gear a good couple of years ago but decided on a trip around Europe.. So only getting around to installing it all now
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
Moldskred

My Ride: e46 coupe
e46 Coupe Epic SQ build thread! (PXA-H800, JL W7, PDX, SPZ) Lots of pics!!

Okey really loved the looks on it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Moldskred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
davef0rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldskred View Post
Okey really loved the looks on it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yep it does look pretty sweet.. I'm a bit unsure if i like the looks on the newer pioneer units.. the older ones just seem to be a bit more cleaner and classic looking..
Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
davef0rd

So it's been a pretty productive past week.. Got the Reverse camera working 100%, RUX-C800, Bluetooth and hideaway nav all installed

Also took the advantage of having a few things out and did the SSG/SMG steering wheel mod.
I decided to go with the SSG steering wheel as one paddle works both ways and I like the look of it better than the m3 smg steering wheel.

Installing the new steering wheel was pretty straight forward and this diy pretty much explains it all http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=826971
There are also a few small mods that need to be done to the paddles to get them to work 100%. The diy is here http://www.otoworkz.com/2012/02/27/h...n-318i-e46n46/

The new steering wheel installed

Next up was the reverse cam, decided on installing it where the boot keyhole originally was.

The reverse cam in action. The picture quality is crystal clear.... but unfortunately the picture I took doesn't do it any justice.

Had a good think about where to install the RUX-C800 and the hideaway nav and settled on this small coin holder box thing on the drivers side (I have no idea what it's called)

Hideaway nav and the C800

Made a cutting template and cut the sides of the box to hold the c800

Glued a black piece of plastic to hold the c800 in place

c800 screwed in

Mounted the hide away nav a little bit further back in the box to give the c800 clearance

Cables for the hideaway nav

Installed the GPS antenna for the nav under the bonnet for a complete stealth look.

RUX c800 mounted.

And a closer look

Now for the mounting of the Bluetooth unit.
Right behind the glove box there's a few empty compartments that make for an excellent spot.

Empty compartments behind the glove box

Bluetooth unit mounted

And that's all for today.. front and rear speakers are up next!

Last edited by davef0rd; 07-14-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
Nice work bud

Always nice to see another aussie round these parts!

Whats the plans for the fronts? stealth look or going to glass baffle?
I'm going to be pulling my doors apart this weekend to do some measuring however I have a feeling i will need to either cut metal or cut up door trims
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine pdx amplifier, alpine pxa-h800 processor, boston spz speakers, sub ski pass install, subwoofer jl w7