E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #41
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
How long do you think stock guts will last making 500 ponys?
I have no idea its unknown territory! I believe I'm the only person pushing this kind of power on a 2.5L with a stock block.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #42
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
I'm really excited to hear that you have been successful so far. I plan on going FI with forged internals in the future so ill be monitoring your mileage. Keep us updated and best of luck!

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #43
sunnyjay

My Ride: 01 330i
Congrats! I have seen his first build with his top mount.
sunnyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #44
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
I am late to the party, but GREAT job on this home built beast! Keep it up man, i love these type of threads

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #45
bimmerguy055

Thanks guys. I don't know how long it will last, but I turn down the boost for normal driving. Just saving for ether parts to build up a m54 (clutch, LSD etc) OR sell the car and get a M3 and convert that.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #46
2lgt2qt

My Ride: 325i
Success for Turboed 325

So, how would one go about acquiring the "tune" you are using or even coming close to it? Thats the only thing that is stopping me and has stopped me from following your path.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2lgt2qt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #47
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lgt2qt View Post
So, how would one go about acquiring the "tune" you are using or even coming close to it? Thats the only thing that is stopping me and has stopped me from following your path.
Assuming that you acquire an EMS like mine (Pro EFI, and patch harness) As I know the 330 and 325 has been figured out(CAN bus) therefore all one then needs is to flash the EMS with 325/330 base tune, then one can get the engine running, but you will need to ether have someone tune it or your self in-order to run right.

The only real challenge I had to overcome was IDLE issues, and I fixed it by fooling the DME via resistors to 12v for the ICV (DSC + brake light stayed off ) then let Pro EFI run ICV. Its interesting logging ICV in relation to the TPS, now that the EMS runs the ICV I can finally tweak throttle response to be crisp, like factory intended, if not better.

Now I can finish with a MAF simulator (since I'm running SD only) then I'll be completely check engine light free

In-sort, the "tune" can be realistically done. As I've mentioned in earlier responses, the guess work has for the most part been figured out (on ProEFI) I would indorse this EMS, as its UI is a little different then most, but if you know how to tune a car, then it wont take long to figure out.

Also Depends on your goals to what "tune" you should go with, and if you like to constantly mod/tweak your setup, and want to spend that little extra bit on the tuning hardware that one day might save your overall investment, your engine.

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 08-14-2013 at 03:59 AM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #48
2lgt2qt

My Ride: 325i
Success for Turboed 325

Finally. Some explanation and knowledge. Which EMS from pro efi are you using? Hope you dont mind me picking your brain, im chalked full of questions.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2lgt2qt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #49
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
Assuming that you acquire an EMS like mine (Pro EFI, and patch harness) As I know the 330 and 325 has been figured out(CAN bus) therefore all one then needs is to flash the EMS with 325/330 base tune, then one can get the engine running, but you will need to ether have someone tune it or your self in-order to run right.

The only real challenge I had to overcome was IDLE issues, and I fixed it by fooling the DME via resistors to 12v for the ICV (DSC + brake light stayed off ) then let Pro EFI run ICV. Its interesting logging ICV in relation to the TPS, now that the EMS runs the ICV I can finally tweak throttle response to be crisp, like factory intended, if not better.

Now I can finish with a MAF simulator (since I'm running SD only) then I'll be completely check engine light free

In-sort, the "tune" can be realistically done. As I've mentioned in earlier responses, the guess work has for the most part been figured out (on ProEFI) I would indorse this EMS, as its UI is a little different then most, but if you know how to tune a car, then it wont take long to figure out.

Also Depends on your goals to what "tune" you should go with, and if you like to constantly mod/tweak your setup, and want to spend that little extra bit on the tuning hardware that one day might save your overall investment, your engine.
What is this patch harness you speak of? They have a pre-made harness for the M3 application, but the pinout is different for MS43/5. MS45 is especially different due to the wideband O2.

With respect to idle control, was the car running well with the DME controlling idle and throttle, or did you have to move throttle to ProEFI for it to work at all? The other important piece of this was at what point did you remove the MAF, as the DME is going to be quite unhappy without it. Speed density is a fallback strategy for most manufacturers, and thus part of "limp home mode."

I'd be very interested in how you rate drivability after you get the MAF simulator hooked up. That will make the DME happy, which should then ensure the cams are in the right spot, and in theory the car should drive like stock, if people tell the truth about their experiences.

How is startup (cranking) time versus the MS43/5? I know they were a little bit extended on the M3, I'm curious how they are here.

A cold start video + idle after the MAF simulator is in would be awesome.

Are things like iBoost control from cruise control working? You mentioned the CAN stuff has been figured out, I'm just wondering if it's pretty much the same as the M3 application, or if there are things still missing.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far.

-Matt
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #50
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lgt2qt View Post
Finally. Some explanation and knowledge. Which EMS from pro efi are you using? Hope you dont mind me picking your brain, im chalked full of questions.
The Pro 128 (good for up to 12 cylinders) Keep in mind the Pro 48 is for 4 cylinders. I want to help out the bmw community, unlike some whom hold the knowledge for profit or personal reasons I encourage modding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
What is this patch harness you speak of? They have a pre-made harness for the M3 application, but the pinout is different for MS43/5. MS45 is especially different due to the wideband O2.

With respect to idle control, was the car running well with the DME controlling idle and throttle, or did you have to move throttle to ProEFI for it to work at all? The other important piece of this was at what point did you remove the MAF, as the DME is going to be quite unhappy without it. Speed density is a fallback strategy for most manufacturers, and thus part of "limp home mode."

I'd be very interested in how you rate drivability after you get the MAF simulator hooked up. That will make the DME happy, which should then ensure the cams are in the right spot, and in theory the car should drive like stock, if people tell the truth about their experiences.

How is startup (cranking) time versus the MS43/5? I know they were a little bit extended on the M3, I'm curious how they are here.

A cold start video + idle after the MAF simulator is in would be awesome.

Are things like iBoost control from cruise control working? You mentioned the CAN stuff has been figured out, I'm just wondering if it's pretty much the same as the M3 application, or if there are things still missing.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far.

-Matt
Matt,

In respect of the patch harness, I meant when one acquires the M3 harness, then slightly modifying it to non-M spec (hence patch harness). Now the MS54 DME uses the same connectors, In-fact the ONLY difference is of 5 pins (according to ProEFI's pinout sheet) they are:
- camshaft position sensor input (missing from m3 harness)
- crankshaft position sensor (M3 only, non-M doesn't have one)
- knock sensor #1 + 3 return (missing from m3 harness)
- Cam sync Relay control output (M3 only)

Keep in mind this is just how Jason configured it. He left the VANOS to be controlled by the DME. Now you can use Pro EFI to take control of it, but honestly There would be little reason unless your anal, and want to potentially squeeze ever last HP out of the engine (like if your doing a high HP build)

Now about MS45, Yes I'm sure it has very slightly different pinouts, but the critical sensors/input/outputs are the same that can be verified on HERE Also, I'm not sure exactly if the 330 jason tested used a MS45 or MS43 DME, as my CAN bus had to be reverse-engineered so ProEFI can talk to the car's sensors.

I'd say the car ran well with the DME running the ICV, but the idle would be sporadic, as the DME and the EMS were fighting each other. Keep in-mind the only thing ProEFI is actually controlling is ICV, injectors, and ignition (right now at least) I removed the MAF for two reasons: oil from the turbo got in charge pipe, then got on the MAF and u know that causes the MAF to act up. 2ndly, The MAF housing is crappy to hold boost, in fact I had to separate the actual sensor from the house (since it leaked under boost) then the housing would pop off over 10lbs of boost. I didnt want to clamp down on a plastic housing to much to break it, so the hell with it. Speed density was attractive due to eliminating the restrictive MAF ( screens in-side) plus those other 2 reasons I just mentioned.

As it sits drivability is decent, but I'm very curious how it behaves with the MAF simulator, plus I continue to tweak the tune until I'm satisfied.

Startup takes just slightly longer than stock, but not a big deal.

Iboost control is not working on my car via cruise control buttons. Thats one of the things That I was thinking of tackling on. I have to reverse-engineer the CAN signals to get the correct address, Yes it can be figured out, but I'm not sure if its worth my time to get the data then figure out the pattern to an address for Jason to code it.

I just keep my boost at one setpoint. Though it would be nice to change boost targets, its just a "plus"

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 08-14-2013 at 02:08 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #51
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
What's the name of the shop that did the tune?
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #52
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
What's the name of the shop that did the tune?
It wasn't a shop, but a local guy (LBC) whom personally knows Jason, and the software. This was just a base tune, then I tweaked it.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #53
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
It wasn't a shop, but a local guy (LBC) whom personally knows Jason, and the software. This was just a base tune, then I tweaked it.
Very interesting. I ask because I'm looking to get a custom tune for my custom build as well. Any ideas?. The current tune I have is ok... but it definitely needs some tweaking.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #54
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Very interesting. I ask because I'm looking to get a custom tune for my custom build as well. Any ideas?. The current tune I have is ok... but it definitely needs some tweaking.
So when you say "custom tune" are you talking about strictly using the factory ECU? If so, I know a guy in the Hollywood area that apparently tweaks them. If your talking about using a standalone, FSR motorsports does quality work.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #55
mdrobnak

Quote:
The Pro 128 (good for up to 12 cylinders) Keep in mind the Pro 48 is for 4 cylinders. I want to help out the bmw community, unlike some whom hold the knowledge for profit or personal reasons I encourage modding.

Matt,

In respect of the patch harness, I meant when one acquires the M3 harness, then slightly modifying it to non-M spec (hence patch harness). Now the MS54 DME uses the same connectors, In-fact the ONLY difference is of 5 pins (according to ProEFI's pinout sheet) they are:
- camshaft position sensor input (missing from m3 harness)
- crankshaft position sensor (M3 only, non-M doesn't have one)
- knock sensor #1 + 3 return (missing from m3 harness)
- Cam sync Relay control output (M3 only)

Keep in mind this is just how Jason configured it. He left the VANOS to be controlled by the DME. Now you can use Pro EFI to take control of it, but honestly There would be little reason unless your anal, and want to potentially squeeze ever last HP out of the engine (like if your doing a high HP build)

Now about MS45, Yes I'm sure it has very slightly different pinouts, but the critical sensors/input/outputs are the same that can be verified on HERE Also, I'm not sure exactly if the 330 jason tested used a MS45 or MS43 DME, as my CAN bus had to be reverse-engineered so ProEFI can talk to the car's sensors.

I'd say the car ran well with the DME running the ICV, but the idle would be sporadic, as the DME and the EMS were fighting each other. Keep in-mind the only thing ProEFI is actually controlling is ICV, injectors, and ignition (right now at least) I removed the MAF for two reasons: oil from the turbo got in charge pipe, then got on the MAF and u know that causes the MAF to act up. 2ndly, The MAF housing is crappy to hold boost, in fact I had to separate the actual sensor from the house (since it leaked under boost) then the housing would pop off over 10lbs of boost. I didnt want to clamp down on a plastic housing to much to break it, so the hell with it. Speed density was attractive due to eliminating the restrictive MAF ( screens in-side) plus those other 2 reasons I just mentioned.

As it sits drivability is decent, but I'm very curious how it behaves with the MAF simulator, plus I continue to tweak the tune until I'm satisfied.

Startup takes just slightly longer than stock, but not a big deal.

Iboost control is not working on my car via cruise control buttons. Thats one of the things That I was thinking of tackling on. I have to reverse-engineer the CAN signals to get the correct address, Yes it can be figured out, but I'm not sure if its worth my time to get the data then figure out the pattern to an address for Jason to code it.

I just keep my boost at one setpoint. Though it would be nice to change boost targets, its just a "plus"
Crank position sensor is:
3 E Signal Crankshaft sensor Crankshaft sensor on connector X60003. I think I found that from some online version of WDS.

As for VANOS, yes, for most of us, VANOS works fine out of the box. Who did the CAN work, and do you know how it was done?

I thought about the idle issue, and it makes sense. If one unit is using spark to control idle (ProEFI) and the other is using air to control idle (DME), they're going to try and keep compensating for each other's changes, plus the engine's changes.

A vid of starting it up would be awesome. I've seen vids of the M3 startups, and it's not very cool.

Definitely let us know how the MAF simulator holds up. It may make things even better for you. I have not found the MAF to be a restriction at this point, and I think it'll be ok for my goals, but we're going at it from two different paths.

Have you run it on E85 yet?

-Matt
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #56
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
Crank position sensor is:
3 E Signal Crankshaft sensor Crankshaft sensor on connector X60003. I think I found that from some online version of WDS.

As for VANOS, yes, for most of us, VANOS works fine out of the box. Who did the CAN work, and do you know how it was done?

I thought about the idle issue, and it makes sense. If one unit is using spark to control idle (ProEFI) and the other is using air to control idle (DME), they're going to try and keep compensating for each other's changes, plus the engine's changes.

A vid of starting it up would be awesome. I've seen vids of the M3 startups, and it's not very cool.

Definitely let us know how the MAF simulator holds up. It may make things even better for you. I have not found the MAF to be a restriction at this point, and I think it'll be ok for my goals, but we're going at it from two different paths.

Have you run it on E85 yet?

-Matt

It was a join effort with the local tuner and Jason @ ProEFI. I have to ask what tool he used. I have a understanding on how to decipher the CAN, but I havent had a need. If you want more info here is a guy whom started to do just that.

I'll post a video for startup, cold start or hot start? my cold start im still working on.

I have not ran e85 two reasons:
- I have the basic "kit" that does not come with the CAN display or flex fuel sensor
- I have no need, since I'm already pushing what the stock internals to the limits with no knock at all: they key is to run higher boost and less timing.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #57
mdrobnak

Hot start would be good. Cold will probably get faster with the simulator set up.

As for E85, I get it, but its one of the main things that makes the unit useful to me, that's why I asked.

-Matt

Last edited by mdrobnak; 08-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #58
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
So when you say "custom tune" are you talking about strictly using the factory ECU? If so, I know a guy in the Hollywood area that apparently tweaks them. If your talking about using a standalone, FSR motorsports does quality work.
Using the stock ECU yes. Please forward the info on the person you know. I'd love to talk to them about what I'm trying to do.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #59
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Using the stock ECU yes. Please forward the info on the person you know. I'd love to talk to them about what I'm trying to do.
Ecutuninggroup.com Jag is his name.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #60
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
Ecutuninggroup.com Jag is his name.
Thanks Ill contact them and see whats up.