E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #61
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
Hot start would be good. Cold will probably get faster with the simulator set up.

As for E85, I get it, but its one of the main things that makes the unit useful to me, that's why I asked.

-Matt
Hot start

Throttle response
Old 08-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #62
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Thanks for the videos. That does seem pretty good (ie not much longer then stock)! The M3s definitely seem to crank longer then that.

-Matt
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #63
mdrobnak

Btw, I think I've figured out the reason why the M3 videos seem to take longer to crank - E85. Both videos I had watched were running E85. You are running normal gasoline, and thus crank times are normal.

-Matt
Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #64
Bmw_fever

My Ride: 01' 325i ZSP ZCW
Just wanted to say great job on the build, I remember your other thread asking about building your own kit and everyone said you would never make it, well you showed them! Congrats
Bmw_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #65
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_fever View Post
Just wanted to say great job on the build, I remember your other thread asking about building your own kit and everyone said you would never make it, well you showed them! Congrats
He has done a great job.

I don't remember exactly what I said, but I generally don't say a person can't do this, just that most don't follow through with their intentions due to many reasons. As I'm sure he can relate to now, the costs are much higher than people understand, both with time and money.

This is a rare achievement.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #66
M325er22

My Ride: 2001 325i
Sub'd
Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #67
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
He has done a great job.

I don't remember exactly what I said, but I generally don't say a person can't do this, just that most don't follow through with their intentions due to many reasons. As I'm sure he can relate to now, the costs are much higher than people understand, both with time and money.

bimmerguy, i'm sure you've got receipts for everything somewhere, but just a ballpark estimate, how much money would you say you've spent to get the car to where you are right now? something else worth mentioning, how many hours would you say you've invested between research, building, tuning, etc.?

for the sake of everyone here, keep up the great work and keep pushing the envelope, this platform needs all the help it can get when it comes to knowledge on turbo setups.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #68
Bmw_fever

My Ride: 01' 325i ZSP ZCW
Quote:
He has done a great job.

My comment wasn't directed towards you, you seem to always give good advice or constructive criticism. It was directed to the people bashing him for even thinking about doing this project because they think they know everything.
Bmw_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #69
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_fever View Post
Thanks! Yeah those people just have no respect, and In fact, It just helps me continue to go against what they say.

Quote:
He has done a great job.

Agreed As you know its costs in time + money from doing your own R & D thats what gets me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
bimmerguy, i'm sure you've got receipts for everything somewhere, but just a ballpark estimate, how much money would you say you've spent to get the car to where you are right now? something else worth mentioning, how many hours would you say you've invested between research, building, tuning, etc.?

for the sake of everyone here, keep up the great work and keep pushing the envelope, this platform needs all the help it can get when it comes to knowledge on turbo setups.

Thats a good question. I've gone through several configurations, I can estimate in parts I'd say around 6k for my configuration. Thats not including my time to fabricate, and the R & D, and trial and error.

Like i mentioned earlier, I did my own route to set out and build a turbo setup cheaper than technique tuning and in the end I DID. In fact, my setup is better. Now If theirs at least some one out there who reads this and is inspired to turbo or even mod their car because of my project, thats pretty cool, and more power to you. I hope to continue to see more individuals turboing their car, as I go to numerous car shows/meets its hard to find those kind of people whom are motivated and driven to do things.

I will continue to share information, but I wont spoon feed (thats where "google it" comes in)

As far as the future for my project I come to a edge of the fence. If I want anymore power, it will cost a decent bit. My ultimate goal is to have a 10 second car, but realistically, i'll be happy when I have enough power that I cant use it fully on the streets, but only a track.. Now I know M3's have gotten there, on some stock parts. I now look at it as whats the least path of resistance, to buildup a non-m to be "I believe" one of the first to reach 10 sec in a non-m (w/non-m motor) in a e46 oooor start out with a m3 and build that up.

I'm doing a great bit of research on which way is really cheaper to go faster. We all can say well the m3 has a LSD, revs higher so bigger turbo can be used, no oil pump exploding etc, but when building a m motor and the aftermarket parts needed, seams to be where it gets interesting.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #70
mdrobnak

Here's the thing - most don't have access to the resources or skills to do the fabrication of pieces though. How many hours would you estimate you have in fabrication time of the current setup, and how many hours in tuning (probably 100+ overall if you are like I was with a friend's calibration years ago.)?

What exhaust manifold did you end up using? Edit: Nevermind, I see it was a SPA manifold.

The upside is you have a literally unique car.

-Matt

Last edited by mdrobnak; 08-25-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I can't read.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #71
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
Here's the thing - most don't have access to the resources or skills to do the fabrication of pieces though. How many hours would you estimate you have in fabrication time of the current setup, and how many hours in tuning (probably 100+ overall if you are like I was with a friend's calibration years ago.)?

What exhaust manifold did you end up using? Edit: Nevermind, I see it was a SPA manifold.

The upside is you have a literally unique car.

-Matt
Your right Matt. As-far-as hours I truly don't know. If I was to guess I'd say ~ 80 hrs with the fab/install and about 30 hrs getting the CAN bus to talk to the EMS, the tune, then problem solving sporadic idle, running rich all the time, and boost spikes.

SPA manifold is ok, but the WG hole was smaller than 38mm! I liked my TDC manifold (that I'm still selling), better quality cast. Next manifold will be a custom tubular

Yes the car is unique, I love the sound especially, it sounds like a mix of a supra and v8. If I end up going to a S54 motor, I would hope i don't get that notorious raspiness, reminds me of a Honda with a fart can on it.

~Ace
Old 09-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #72
bimmerguy055

so today I decided to up the boost. according to my log im at 26PSI (over what my boost gauge can do) and an estimated 539hp. Just need to find a dyno with a good rate!

car gave me chills the first 2-3 pulls. losing traction at 80MPH in 4th gear!

see the video clip
Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #73
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
What fuel? Stock compression 2.5 still?
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Email us at sales@maximumpsi.com!
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #74
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
What fuel? Stock compression 2.5 still?
running crappy 91 octane. compression is slightly lower than stock I'd say (10.4:1) since I put in a .04" MLS HG
Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #75
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
You are a bit beyond playing with fire. As a reference, we are usually knock limited on an 8.5:1 cr s52 with 93 octane fuel at around 18-19psi on a ~62mm turbo. One single knock event can and will break the ring lands in a stock cast piston.
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Email us at sales@maximumpsi.com!
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #76
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
You are a bit beyond playing with fire. As a reference, we are usually knock limited on an 8.5:1 cr s52 with 93 octane fuel at around 18-19psi on a ~62mm turbo. One single knock event can and will break the ring lands in a stock cast piston.
just like his sig says, "without failure there is no success". this gentleman is an asset to the community and he clearly has no problem with seeing what the limits are on a stock block. i hope he continues to evolve and improve his project so that the rest of the community can finally have some knowledge on how to turbo an e46. this platform is already 14 years old and still barely has any options for FI so any help he can lend is certainly appreciated.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #77
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Mike,
Remember I' have very conservative timing so, I have yet to get knock. Now your reference, what is the timing up top like? what is the specs on this engine you talk about? I have taken the tactic of running more boost and less timing As I'm sure you know that would equal less combustion cylinder pressure --> less stress on parts.

If I'm "beyond playing with fire" why can a continually run 20 psi on crappy 91 and high compression? especially as my Daily Driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
just like his sig says, "without failure there is no success". this gentleman is an asset to the community and he clearly has no problem with seeing what the limits are on a stock block. i hope he continues to evolve and improve his project so that the rest of the community can finally have some knowledge on how to turbo an e46. this platform is already 14 years old and still barely has any options for FI so any help he can lend is certainly appreciated.

Thanks daemonicus for the support. I'll admit its ballsy to be DD'ing those limits on crappy pump gas, yet alone stock internals. Only the few has taken on the challenge to do FI, most do it for profit to sell it as a "Kit" Even OEM can only get a ballpark of safe tune, therefore every car is best tuned individually as EVERY engine as a slightly different foot print. I personally know a couple people with stock ECUs whom got it "flash tune" that have had multiple issues. It has been challenging to pry information out of others whom know what works and what does not. After obtaining the experience on the non-m, I now see the other side, but refuse to continue history for at least the e46 platform to not share the raw truth.

It would be great if it took off like the tuning software on supras, DSMs and even hondas, but it seams like money is the route of all evil to create a editable software (shark edit never came through). There a a handful of individuals in the US alone who can decipher the BMW DMEs (pacifically e46 versions) so they can tweak the data, yet they chose not to share info; some made a kit, while others saw the profit potential, and made a service to do in-house tuning. that leads to users tweaking out of it. hence a GAP for the true DIY'er to go on a tangent to do a one off, that in it self can be overwhelming and comes to a brick wall then it comes to tuning.

A real help to the community is to take the DME editing knowledge and get programers/developers and make a tuning UI, then sell that to the public. I guaranteed you see more F/I projects, I would respect and support them!

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 09-20-2013 at 03:06 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #78
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
The 500+ hp, is that with the 60lb injectors you mentioned earlier in this thread?
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #79
bimmerguy055

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
The 500+ hp, is that with the 60lb injectors you mentioned earlier in this thread?
Bobby,

It is, they are at 78% duty cycle with the turbo pushing around 54 lbs a min.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #80
Fkn330i

My Ride: 2001 330i
Success for Turboed 325

Pretty damn sweet if you ask me, keep me in the loop in this one I would love to push psi into my 3.0

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Fkn330i is offline   Reply With Quote