E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Ballerbrian4u

My Ride: 2004 BMW m3
Smg shifting rough

Hey guys my smg is acting weird for a while now. The shifts are not smooth and crisp. When auto downshifting into 2 it jerks. In s4 s5 when shifting at low rpms around 2k I hear it slam into gear and clunk from the rear of the car.Also when downshifting in any gear it delays in grabbing the gear. It is not the same as day one. Any tips? I did the Adaptaion 4 months ago should I try that again?
Ballerbrian4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Redman M3

My Ride: M3 - Individual -
Smg shifting rough

First thing to do is an SMG reset, using your shifter paddles.

The symptoms of the clunk noise can be due to the propshaft coupling located by the gearbox which requires changing as these tend to crack a lot hence mechanical sounds and clunks when changing up or down.

If you are experiencing any juddering this will mean a new flywheel is required and while you are at it maybe beat to change the clutch.

All of the above changes will bring your car back to the way the m3 SMG should operate.

HTH

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BMW M3 - Individual Atlantis Blue
Redman M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Ballerbrian4u

Hey thanks. My car just hit 50,000 miles. I do the reset 1 everyday if No traffic.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
My car "slams" 1st to 2nd shift too in s5. I daily in it and if you regulate your throttle a bit you can fix most of it, not lifting causes a louder harsher clunk. But Driveline bushings and rubber is always a good thing to check I need to do my guibo, csb and bearing one of these days.

Definitely reset it and your throttle adaptions so you have a clean driving slate to go from. I just reset both my smg and throttle adaptions and holy hell it made a very nice difference in shift speed, gear grabbing on downshifts and I swear 1st to 2nd shifts smoother without lifting.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
how do you reset the smg?
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Moosecakes

Driving 40mph+ move stick to N, pull both paddles back at the same time for 10 seconds, release, and put stick back in gear. No indicators will flash, some people say 4-5 seconds, some say 10, I just did it for 10 seconds and definitely noticed a change, my wife did as well, she said it felt quicker when I shifted and the rough 1-2 shift wasn't quite as harsh.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Ballerbrian4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman M3 View Post
First thing to do is an SMG reset, using your shifter paddles.

The symptoms of the clunk noise can be due to the propshaft coupling located by the gearbox which requires changing as these tend to crack a lot hence mechanical sounds and clunks when changing up or down.

If you are experiencing any juddering this will mean a new flywheel is required and while you are at it maybe beat to change the clutch.

All of the above changes will bring your car back to the way the m3 SMG should operate.

HTH

I think I might have a bad propshaft coupling. I say this because the is a loud vibration at 1900 rpms. How can I check it? Is it under the heat shields.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Moosecakes

Yes you'll have to drop section 1 and 2 I believe then remove the heat shields to get to your driveshaft. Speaking of, I need to put that on my list of **** to order for a quick maint, run when I get some money together haha.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman M3 View Post
not true, it simply means that the clutch slip point needs to be relearned and the clutch curve adaptation reset with Gt1 or autologic equipment.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Ballerbrian4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
not true, it simply means that the clutch slip point needs to be relearned and the clutch curve adaptation reset with Gt1 or autologic equipment.
Hey do I need to do those in any specific order? Adaptaion first?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
You perform the basic SMG reset with the paddles first. If that doesn't correct shifting, then try the adaptation reset (GT1 / AutoE / ...). Followed by a clutch relearn is studder is still present. Also if doing a relearn, might as well clear throttle adaptations while you're at it.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Ballerbrian4u

One question I just orders a guibo because of the vibration and couch noises. Do I also need to replace my center support bearing? What is that?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Ballerbrian4u

Also what's a cv joint ? Witch one do I need to replace?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
turbo_f22_pilot

Here ya go . . .

RealOEM is your friend

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...00&hg=26&fg=05

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...97&hg=26&fg=10

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust

BMWCCA NCC
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
Moosecakes

You can replace the CSB and mount if you want to, personally I'm going to because i'll be in there anyway doing the guibo. It's like 80$ or something for the mount and bearing I think.

Dont worry about CV joints and ****, guibo, csb and mount are the big driveline items that need addressing.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
M3/805

My Ride: 2003-M3
I just did my center support bearing and drive shaft plate(guibo) to trans,it was $200.00 for parts at turners!!!
M3/805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
BioHazard2312

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
I'm having a similar issue with rough shifting. If I have an evolve SMG tune will it affect that when I do the SMG reset?
BioHazard2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
turbo_f22_pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazard2312 View Post
I'm having a similar issue with rough shifting. If I have an evolve SMG tune will it affect that when I do the SMG reset?
No, it will not. A reset will only reset the learned values. (the adaptation values, what the system uses to mimic your driving style)

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
MODS:

BMWCCA NCC
Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
BioHazard2312

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_f22_pilot View Post
No, it will not. A reset will only reset the learned values. (the adaptation values, what the system uses to mimic your driving style)
Thanks.
BioHazard2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #20
crossle23

My Ride: Audi A6, '02 M3
Moosecakes thanks for the tips on the adaptive reset! Just bought an'02 smg and that definitely helped it shift better.
crossle23 is offline   Reply With Quote