E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #41
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
15-20%
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #42
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP/VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
There is no "standard." Every person tips what he or she thinks is appropriate. It's not like there's some federal Department of Tips and Gratuities that issues proclamations on these things.
Ok, "socially acceptable".

If I'm thinking of going into business with someone, they pick up the tab, and tip 10% for decent service, I'm going to think you are a cheap bastard.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Thanks, Obama.
It's all part of our modern-day obsession with moral relativism. Back in the good ol' days, a man could take his wife and 2.5 children out to dinner and know the right thing to do for the poor single mother who brought him his food--give her an extra nickel and hope she didn't spend it on bathtub gin. But now, it seems like anything goes. That server might not even have kids, for example. She might even be kissing other girls. She might not be a girl at all! So the natural result is that our time-honored traditions are falling by the wayside...and tipping is no exception.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
Ok, "socially acceptable".

If I'm thinking of going into business with someone, they pick up the tab, and tip 10% for decent service, I'm going to think you are a cheap bastard.
I am actually an excellent tipper.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
DILLA

Quote:
I am actually an excellent tipper.
It wasn't directed at you, it was a generalized statement.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #46
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
It wasn't directed at you, it was a generalized statement.
Oh, sure. I just wanted to respond to the "you."
Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #47
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
20% at least, it's the standard now. As a former waiter now part time bartender myself (second job) we make $2.13 an hour, we half to tip out a percentage of our SALES, not tips, to busers, restaurant, etc.. So a large tab tipped poorly, the server could end up OWING money, instead of making money.

If you can't afford to tip, don't eat out. Most servers are in that profession because they are paying their way through school, supplement to income, etc.. Not because they are uneducated servants.

Also, before you tip poorly because you are thinking you are getting poor service, pay attention to how much the server is taking on, if you notice them busting their ass between tables, obviously they haven't forgotten about you, they are probably in the weeds and trying the best they can. If they are sitting around, talking to other servers, that warrants a poor tip.

All I'm saying, is think twice before you get pissed at your server and tip poorly, lots of times things are out of their control and they do their best to wait on you. They live off tips, I remember a time when I would box up left overs just to eat, and lots of them are in the same position. They aren't waiting tables because they like it, it's just better than working at a minimum wage job.
What makes you think you deserve more than minimum wage? You're putting yourself through school? Good for you. Don't expect me to pay you extra just because you're working so you can make more money in the future.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #48
DILLA

Quote:
Oh, sure. I just wanted to respond to the "you."
My bad, I was meaning it to be a hypothetical situation, didn't mean it to come across that way.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #49
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
how much do you generally tip at restaurants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
What makes you think you deserve more than minimum wage? You're putting yourself through school? Good for you. Don't expect me to pay you extra just because you're working so you can make more money in the future.
This. Sometimes I will take deliveries and if my service is less than expected, I don't expect a tip. Unfortunately it's out of my hands how quickly I get you your food, that's how I expect to be tipped. Based on my service. Unfortunately that's not how people really view it. I'll get a delivery out in 3 minutes and get no tip.
Regardless, expecting a tip is arrogant and rude. Don't think you deserve more than min wage when you're working a min wage job.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #50
Wes

15%. 20% if the service is very good. At nicer places, I usually don't go over 15% since good service is expected. I'll leave less if they provide lousy service.

I once had such a bad experience, halfway through the meal, my table couldn't deal with the waiter anymore that we all got up and left. No tip, no payment. They didn't deserve anything.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #51
farmdog

My Ride: Food Truck
I always tip like a gentlemen...but if you don't do your job, I will screw you.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #52
kyle808

My Ride: 00 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
Big tits= Big tips.
lol

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #53
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
15%. 20% if the service is very good. At nicer places, I usually don't go over 15% since good service is expected. I'll leave less if they provide lousy service.

I once had such a bad experience, halfway through the meal, my table couldn't deal with the waiter anymore that we all got up and left. No tip, no payment. They didn't deserve anything.

That's called stealing.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #54
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Are you actually saying that you don't tip because they got a job knowing they would get paid minimum wage? That is false, they applied for the job because they knew most of their income would come from tips. Lets not be ignorant here... or cheap for that matter.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #55
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Take the total, slide the decimal and double it.

55.00: $5.50 * 2 = $11.00
Quote:
I tried to freshen things up by adding a video from Trading Places, which immediately sank like a stone and was not commented on by anyone. So that was a fail on my part--or was it?
i almost commented on it
Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #56
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBizzo88 View Post
i almost commented on it
Yes! I'll count that as a win.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #57
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Take the total, slide the decimal and double it.

55.00: $5.50 * 2 = $11.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by customisbetter View Post
^So 20%?
I never knew this trick. I am going to blow minds!
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #58
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
Are you actually saying that you don't tip because they got a job knowing they would get paid minimum wage? That is false, they applied for the job because they knew most of their income would come from tips. Lets not be ignorant here... or cheap for that matter.
They got a job where their primary source of income relies on the generosity of other people and the enforcement of certain social norms. They shouldn't be surprised when some people stiff them on tips.

The biggest variable in determining the average waiter's pay is the restaurant they work in and the clientele that frequent that establishment. You could be the best waiter in the world but if you live in Bum****, Alabama in a community that doesn't believe in tipping, you best believe you're gonna make minimum wage (or less if the restaurant owner tries to stiff you).

I've had it with entitled waiters who expect to get tipped and tipped well. It's the biggest #whitepersonproblem ever.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #59
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
There is no tipping in any situation in Japan Ė cabs, restaurants, personal care. To tip someone is actually a little insulting; the services youíve asked for are covered by the price given, so why pay more?

If you are in a large area like Tokyo and canít speak any Japanese, a waiter or waitress might take the extra money you happen to leave rather than force themselves to deal with the awkward situation of explaining the concept of no tipping in broken English.

Just remind yourself: a price is a price.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #60
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
how much do you generally tip at restaurants?

Quote:

Also, before you tip poorly because you are thinking you are getting poor service, pay attention to how much the server is taking on, if you notice them busting their ass between tables, obviously they haven't forgotten about you, they are probably in the weeds and trying the best they can. If they are sitting around, talking to other servers, that warrants a poor tip.

All I'm saying, is think twice before you get pissed at your server and tip poorly, lots of times things are out of their control and they do their best to wait on you.
The words "too fvcking busy" should never come out of a serviceperson's mouth. You're too busy to give me the service I deserve as a paying customer of your establishment? Sorry, I'm too busy to calculate any percentage of my bill.

And again, why is 20% the new standard? Did waiter wages and food prices suddenly fall, precipitating angers for a higher percentage of tip? I must have missed that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app