E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #61
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
There is no tipping in any situation in Japan Ė cabs, restaurants, personal care. To tip someone is actually a little insulting; the services youíve asked for are covered by the price given, so why pay more?

If you are in a large area like Tokyo and canít speak any Japanese, a waiter or waitress might take the extra money you happen to leave rather than force themselves to deal with the awkward situation of explaining the concept of no tipping in broken English.

Just remind yourself: a price is a price.
We don't live in Japan.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #62
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
There is no tipping in any situation in Japan Ė cabs, restaurants, personal care. To tip someone is actually a little insulting; the services youíve asked for are covered by the price given, so why pay more?

If you are in a large area like Tokyo and canít speak any Japanese, a waiter or waitress might take the extra money you happen to leave rather than force themselves to deal with the awkward situation of explaining the concept of no tipping in broken English.

Just remind yourself: a price is a price.
I would prefer this, personally. I liked it when I lived in Japan.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #63
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
We don't live in Japan.
What I hate about America is you have all these teeny boppers getting temporary food industry jobs and they
  • Lack total professionalism
  • Are abrasive
  • Regardless, feel entitled to said tip
  • Tend to focus on 1-2 tables for the magical tip instead of making sure all 5-10 are equally well off

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #64
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Re: how much do you generally tip at restaurants?

15% unless you get exceptional service then I give 20%

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #65
evolved

Quote:
What I hate about America is you have all these teeny boppers getting temporary food industry jobs and they
  • Lack total professionalism
  • Are abrasive
  • Regardless, feel entitled to said tip
  • Tend to focus on 1-2 tables for the magical tip instead of making sure all 5-10 are equally well off

Maybe it's a difference in perception, or something else, but I don't notice this much, if at all, when going out to restaurants. On top of that, I tend to pick up more on stuff like this since I worked in various positions in the service industry for quite a while.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 06-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #66
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I would prefer this, personally.
It works well for a country like Japan where people take pride in everything they do. Unfortunately, in the US, many workers, especially in the food service industry, do not have the same work ethic. I'm glad most waiters/waitresses need tips to make a living. That's why most of them do a good job at serving the customer. Bad service = small tip
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #67
cjrivera

My Ride: 2008 e93 M3 Cab
20% for average to good service
>20% for great or excellent service
<0-20% for horrible to less than avg. service.

I figure you can't get a bad reputation for being a good tipper, but you can certainly get one for being a poor tipper.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #68
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert

I tip the standard. 15% for normal service. 20% for excellent. If I'm a regular, I'll throw more in. I was at a bar the other night and I gave the bartender about 40-50% the whole night. Knew the guy was the owner, he brings kick ass bands to town and knows how to overpour a drink. I hope that my doing that gets him to bring more kick ass bands.

Back to the point 15-20%. But if you do a bad job, you'll get a bad tip.

For the record, I hate going out with ex-servicepeople. They always complain about how hard it is to do that job and that we should tip well. Get off your high horse, the job isn't that hard. And when you disagree (and you will), take into consideration that you're working inside doing non-strenuous labor. Just because you have to think, talk and walk at the same time doesn't mean the job is hard.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #69
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
15%. 20% if the service is very good. At nicer places, I usually don't go over 15% since good service is expected. I'll leave less if they provide lousy service.
So you would tip 20% at a place such as Applebee's if you receive unusually good service and 15% at a restaurant where you are waited on by more than one person and your silverware is replaced after each course?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #70
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
15-18%, more in clubs or the if the bartender is cute.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #71
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post

For the record, I hate going out with ex-servicepeople. They always complain about how hard it is to do that job and that we should tip well. Get off your high horse, the job isn't that hard. And when you disagree (and you will), take into consideration that you're working inside doing non-strenuous labor. Just because you have to think, talk and walk at the same time doesn't mean the job is hard.

The hard part of the job is dealing with the random asshole people, strange one off requests, and getting talked down to/treated like you're a 2nd class citizen from strangers. I'm guessing you've never worked a service job?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #72
v8 5

I think it's weird how bartenders, even one here, can brag about bringing home thousands in tips for a good weekend or two... but if you don't tip, you're an asshole. Like, what?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #73
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert

Quote:

The hard part of the job is dealing with the random asshole people, strange one off requests, and getting talked down to/treated like you're a 2nd class citizen from strangers. I'm guessing you've never worked a service job?
I've never worked in food, but I've worked in service. I know about asshole customers for sure! Trust me, even in a job where you don't talk to customers, there are still plenty of assholes. The only hope is the asshole isn't your boss, haha.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #74
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Standard tip has always been 15%. Anything above that is for excellent service, and up to the customer. Most times, I will just 15% it, and round up to make it easier. This way, you aren't doing the bare minimum, and at most you are losing less than a dollar. If you are eating out, you can afford 1-99 cents. If the service is good, or I go there often, I go 20% and maybe round up a little.

My big question is whether you leave a tip for taking food to go. I take food to go all the time from restaurants (sit-down), and was taught not to tip when you don't sit down to eat. After a while, I started leaving a dollar just for good measure at restaurants I frequent.

Last edited by alphawhiskey; 06-26-2013 at 10:23 PM.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #75
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
Standard tip has always been 15%. Anything above that is for excellent service, and up to the customer.

My big question is whether you leave a tip for taking food to go. I take food to go all the time from restaurants (sit-down), and was taught not to tip when you don't sit down to eat. After a while, I started leaving a dollar just for good measure at restaurants I frequent.
Never tip to-go, but always tip for dining in.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #76
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTL1098 View Post
So you would tip 20% at a place such as Applebee's if you receive unusually good service and 15% at a restaurant where you are waited on by more than one person and your silverware is replaced after each course?
Dunno. I don't go to places like Applebee's.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #77
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:

That employee at McDonald's probably gets just as much abuse if not more than your average sit-down restaurant waiter but they're not frothing at the mouth when they don't make more than minimum wage.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #78
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
I treat the waiter with respect and pay what the meal is worth. I rarely tip unless the waitress really worked for it more than just keeping my drink full, If i feel the meal was really good I ask to see the chef and tip him, The waitress only brought me my food and in most cases for me brought me one iced tea. I dont see why they deserve one when they are getting a wage for it

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #79
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
I treat the waiter with respect and pay what the meal is worth. I rarely tip unless the waitress really worked for it more than just keeping my drink full, If i feel the meal was really good I ask to see the chef and tip him, The waitress only brought me my food and in most cases for me brought me one iced tea. I dont see why they deserve one when they are getting a wage for it

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/fi...n5a_denzel.gif
Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #80
TSiGuy

My Ride: 05 325i
I usually tip 10-15%....sometimes more. It all depends on how many drinks I have had. Also depends on male or female server lol..
TSiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote