E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
Here you go. I have pondered this before I decided to do an engine swap. It looks to be direct bolt on.

http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products/...-M52::213.html
Wow...Wish it would work for the M54
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
matt0

My Ride: 318i e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinesicks View Post
No idea. We don't have 4 cylinder E46's here.
Errr 318i's?
matt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #23
yournickname

My Ride: Skoda =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B78SYX View Post
@yournickname, you should not be so scared of your competition. However, proper RWD driving skills will be required and you should also focus on the proper tire grip. Less weight and more power will mean nothing, if you will have improper grip, even with an LSD. That means also to carefully choose your tires and design your weight distribution properly.

The rest, as you want also to keep your costs low, focus on keeping your car in top shape, mechanically....proper lubricant for the track environment, check your clutch efficiency etc.

I also have a rethorical question..more as a curiosity...would the DME/ECU prevent you of having your engine running, if you remove your electrical starter? I know that, if the starter fails, you can still start your car, by pushing it. I wonder if you can just remove it completely (it will save over 5kg of weight), while using just a small battery (again, to save weight) as the entire electricity requirements would be covered by the alternator, while starting the car by being pushed and keep it running, during the entire track time. Let's not forget rally cars (or at least formula 1 cars) do not have electrical starters and I think the main reason is weight saving.
Correct me if I am wrong...
Interesting point of view. My opinion that it's ok only if you have somebody to help you to start your engine. But if it's practice and nobody near you (track days in Russia are not so popular like in US/EU) it could be a problem...

I'm planning to use Michelin Pilot Sport Cup as tyres and KW ClubSport as basic suspension upgrade with light weight suspension components. Also 4-pot Alcons with 332 brake rotors as front brakes so I assume that I'll have normal grip and steering and small bonus as RWD car between FWD.
yournickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #24
yournickname

Quote:
Here you go. I have pondered this before I decided to do an engine swap. It looks to be direct bolt on.

http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products/...-M52::213.html
Thanks but there's description that ITB is for M50-M52 engine. I'll write to DBilas about it. Maybe this solution will fit M54 too.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #25
yournickname

Quote:
Tomato, To-mah-toe. It basically means the same damn thing. Individual, Independent, whatever... Grammar Nazis.

I'll stick with my way...

Also the meaning of it still makes sense either way. For instance: I have 6 independent throttle bodies. OR: I have 6 individual throttle bodies. The meaning is still the same. However, the meaning is not the same when you change the word Individual or Independent for say, Ice.
For example: I have 6 Ice Throttle Bodies. That simply makes no sense at all. Unless of course you literally mean that the throttle bodies are in fact made from ice.

Any way direct translation from russian back to english will be something like "multi throttle intake" So my main point of view - to get understand what did you mean because my english skills are not as good as I wish they are and I really don't care what exactly is ITB (independent or individual). Wikipedia will help any way
Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #26
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Tomato, To-mah-toe. It basically means the same damn thing. Individual, Independent, whatever... Grammar Nazis.
I'll stick with my way...
no it's not the same. it's not like everyone else in any racing/car circles are pronouncing the word differently.
i not trying to give you a hard time, but just help you use the correct terminology. "ITB" is short for Individual Throttle Bodies.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #27
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by yournickname View Post
Hi there.

First of all I'd like to bring my apologies and say SORRY for my noob questions but this is only way to gain some expirience in this question.

I'm looking for a cheap car for trackdays and participating in local championships. My opinion is that BMW E46 320 - best way to spend some free cash Due to regulations of our local championship I have some restrictions to meet class requirements. These restrictions are:
1. Non-turbo gasoline engine with volume not more than 2.2l.
2. Weight - not lighter than 1030 kg with roll cage (some restrictions here also).
3. Any intake modification with using nitro, methanol, etc ex. water.

So I can modify engine almost as far as I can with these regulations
And here becomes my main question: what is better for use on race track - m52b20 or m54b22? p54b20 will be better for sure but we are talking about cheap track days car M54B22

Which engine frome this couple has better "race performance" if these words are acceptable for these engines?
Which engine has more tuning parts to choose from?
Which engine is cheaper to tune and maintain?
This is first part of questions to understand what exactly I want to buy.
Thanks for answers
OP, am I reading #3 correctly, Are you aloud to use Nitro Methane, or Nitrous Oxide ? Which one.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 06-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #28
yournickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
OP, am I reading #3 correctly, Are you aloud to use Nitro Methane, or Nitrous Oxide ? Which one.
Unfortunately I cannot use any liquids on intake.

About M54B30 - it's better to buy M3 in this case but I need to stay under 2.2l non-turbo engines to meet class requirements.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #29
craz256

My Ride: 318Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to craz256 Send a message via Skype™ to craz256
"1. Non-turbo gasoline engine with volume not more than 2.2l."
Can you supercharge it ?
craz256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #30
yournickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz256 View Post
"1. Non-turbo gasoline engine with volume not more than 2.2l."
Can you supercharge it ?
Unfortunately no. Just atmosphere presure allowed.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by yournickname View Post
Unfortunately I cannot use any liquids on intake.

About M54B30 - it's better to buy M3 in this case but I need to stay under 2.2l non-turbo engines to meet class requirements.
That was a misprint, I meant to write M54B22.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #32
Driver08

My Ride: '88 325is, '04 ZHP
I wouldn't invest time or money until you have an LSD and a chassis reinforcement kit such as the TMS product.
Driver08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race, track days