E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
USSC, DOMA, & Prop 8...opinions....

Not that surprising, all points considered. But, a good day all around.

Would have liked to see them actually rule on the body of the Prop 8 case, rather than ducking it by ruling on the standing. But, for Cali the end result is the same. They could have allowed the standing and ruled on the case, given some of the info from the dissenting opinions. But, it was clear they wanted to dodge the case as much as possible.

DOMA was finally kicked off the books. Violations of the 5th and 14th amd. Reading Scalia's dissent, you can just picture the veins in his forehead ready to burst. He sounded like a 7 year old who had just gotten his candy taken away. A bit of judicial tantrum throwing. While I don't agree with Alito & Thomas at least they were civil and rational in their dissent.

Alito sort of defeated a good portion of his own argument. Arguing that same-sex marriage could not be considered because it hadn't been around long enough and was not any societal norm for centuries and this view had only come about quite recently. Especially historically speaking. However, he completely ignored that this same rational applied to inter-racial marriage 50 years ago when the court ruled in Loving vs Virginia.

Scalia went so far as to argue that DOMA was put in place to prohibit the issues of equality that will arise no that it is gone. The example: If a same sex couple is married in NY, then moves to Alabama. What happens. The federal govt now recognizes that they are a married couple. They were a married couple in NY, are they still a married couple in Alabama? In every state in the union under DOMA, an opposite sex couple married in NY was still married if they moved to Alabama. Now this is not the case with a same-sex married couple. That is legal action waiting to happen.

Scalia is right about that. It is Pandora's box. It is why federal DOMA was put on the books. To prevent just this sort of thing. But, it is also hard to hide from the fact that by doing so, it specifically singles out a specific group of legally married people for unequal treatment under the law.

Since virtually all state DOMA statues started to get on the books after the federal DOMA went on in Sept. 96. It will be interesting to see how the state legislative landscape changes. With a 12 states (now including Cali) that directly allow same-sex marriage, and RI which recognizes, same-sex marriages performed in other states. I'd wager that the USSC is hoping a number of other states follow suit before they get their next same-sex marriage related case.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
It's about time.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Words fail me when aggregations of people think that the private lives of others has anything to do with them whatsoever. It's moral bankruptcy of the highest order. Good for the US today.

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I can't honestly say that I give a fvck about the ruling. It could have stayed the same for the next hundred years and I wouldn't care....same if it changed today...also don't care.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Re: USSC, DOMA, & Prop 8...opinions....

Redsesq's analysis is a good one, IMHO, while the overall effect of today's SCOTUS ruling were good, positive and overdue, they did duck on things a bit, perhaps to deflect some of the blowback both spatially (to the states) and temporally (inevitable future cases and rulings).

In the end though, they did do a lot of the heavy lifting here (do you think Scalia would have got worked up to the point of incoherency in his dissent were these rulings not so consequential?), and essentially crafted a future legal path that almost ensures further progress.

I guess the question now is how social conservatives and their primary political representatives will react:

Essentially throw in the towel beyond some perfunctory outrage and move on to issues consonant with 21st century concerns and electorates?

Attempt some sort of revanchist efforts, ala a "DOMA" constitutional amendment? Given it was left to Louie "Goober" Gomhert to spearhead this, I think we see a lot of the answer there.

Something other that I'm missing?

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-26-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
meh, don't care either way. I still hold that giving all these tax breaks to married people is discriminatory to those that choose to (or are forced to) remain single.

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I am very curious to see if the Prop 8 folks will now demand that the state officials (who declined to defend Prop 8 in court) bring suit to defend it. Since the USSC's ruling was only that the people who brought the appeal had no standing to do so, their only option left is to get an injunction to force the state Attorney General to act to protect the law. I don't see that happening, but it's really the only tactic they have left.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
meh, don't care either way. I still hold that giving all these tax breaks to married people is discriminatory to those that choose to (or are forced to) remain single.
If you want the tax breaks that bad you can always import a wife.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
If you want the tax breaks that bad you can always import a wife.
I can get married tomorrow, I just don't see the (other than tax) benefit. I'm not alone.

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1594036756

Good to see you only care about equality when it is a precious liberal cause.

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009

Last edited by Act of God; 06-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
I can get married tomorrow, I just don't see the (other than tax) benefit. I'm not alone.

I hope you're not taking that book to heart.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Tax breaks on mortgage interest are discriminatory as well.

Along with most laws. A point brought up in one of the dissenting opinions in the DOMA ruling.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I hope you're not taking that book to heart.
Not really, but marriage is sort of becoming a losing proposition for guys...especially ones not hell bent on having kids. Here in NY (I can only speak for here) the Court system is unbelievably biased towards women.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Not really, but marriage is sort of becoming a losing proposition for guys...especially ones not hell bent on having kids. Here in NY (I can only speak for here) the Court system is unbelievably biased towards women.
In VA it's biased towards women as well. My stepfather is in shackles to my mother for quite a bit of time.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
In VA it's biased towards women as well. My stepfather is in shackles to my mother for quite a bit of time.
It's hilarious because women fight so hard to be equal to men, but as soon as the divorce happens they fall silent when they're treated like helpless little sub-humans.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
bimmerfan08

Quote:
It's hilarious because women fight so hard to be equal to men, but as soon as the divorce happens they fall silent when they're treated like helpless little sub-humans.
I've seen it time and time again happen to marriages around me. Divorce just gets downright ugly.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
bimmerfan08

Quote:

One of the reviews from that book.

Quote:
The fact that this book is almost certain to make lefties' heads explode should alone be sufficient endorsement for all rational people to read it. That said, the book does a great job of mixing research with personal interviews to illustrate the damage done to the relationship between the sexes over the past 4-5 decades. The fact that it was written by an intelligent woman makes it fairly tough to dismiss the story as sour grapes from a burned out male.

While the book does touch on this point, it could have placed heavier emphasis on the fact that the so-called equal rights campaign very quickly devolved not into a correction of past wrongs (real or imagined), but a repeat of those wrongs, focused now in the opposite direction; revenge masquerading as equality.

The one quibble I have, albeit minor, is that early in the first portion of the book, Dr. Helen frequently uses "not growing up" and similar terminology to describe phenomena that are more accurately described later in the book as opting out or "going Galt." What society has labeled as young men's "failure to launch" or refusal to grow up is just the younger generation's own version of going Galt.

That said, the book is well-written and a fast read. It should be required reading for all males over 16 years old.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Im happy for gays getting federal benefits, but also agree with AOG that the government "punishes" those that remain single. I said it before and I'll say it again, every person should have the right to have a CIVIL UNION (government should not be allowed to be involved in marriage of any kind) with ANY person, including a relative or friend. The prop8 was a punk move IMHO (but expected).
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
Act of God
E46Fanatic

"that the so-called equal rights campaign very quickly devolved not into a correction of past wrongs (real or imagined), but a repeat of those wrongs, focused now in the opposite direction; revenge masquerading as equality."

That's absolutely prolific *props*

Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
badfast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I've seen it time and time again happen to marriages around me. Divorce just gets downright ugly.
It is the self-interest and combative nature of humanity. Maximizing gains in a zero-sum affair leaves a loser and a winner. No one wants to be the sucker.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #20
badfast

Quote:
"that the so-called equal rights campaign very quickly devolved not into a correction of past wrongs (real or imagined), but a repeat of those wrongs, focused now in the opposite direction; revenge masquerading as equality."

That's absolutely prolific *props*
Certainly supports your biases and leave no question on why you think it is so prolific.