E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe

Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
So...

step forward for gay rights
step forward for legislating from the bench

What is dangerous about this ruling is that it bypasses the will of the people (on both a federal and state level) in that it all but dictates the legislation that will follow... and that is NOT the role of the judicial branch.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
What is dangerous about this ruling is that it bypasses the will of the people (on both a federal and state level) in that it all but dictates the legislation that will follow... and that is NOT the role of the judicial branch.
The same thing was said about Brown vs Board of Ed.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
The same thing was said about Brown vs Board of Ed.
Yes and no. Brown v Board said "hey this is illegal on the grounds of discrimination. You must integrate".

This says "hey this is illegal, you must legislate ____, _____, _______, ______, insert tons of financial and other benefits".

But you're right in that this isn't the first time the courts have forced the hand of legislators.

Long, long, long stretch but along same lines : "Pursuit of happiness included the right that ALL men and women be able to afford those items which make them happy. Therefore, unequal pay, regardless of contribution or talent, is discriminatory and must be righted. Free market must be abolished in favor of equality for all".

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
Rhumb

Quote:
So...

step forward for gay rights
step forward for legislating from the bench

Bypassing what once was the will of the people...

The Prop 8 case was broght to the SCOTUS by private individuals against the elected representatives of the state of CA for not contesting a lower court's runling against Prop 8 for being unconstutional. The duly elected CA officials ARE now representing the current will of their people, circa 2013, the majority of who now support gay marriage.

Similar arguments could be made regarding DOMA.

In any case, regarding the overall Constitutionality of any law, it IS the role of the SCOTUS to rule on that, as they appropriately did in both cases, and in the Voting Act case too, regardless of whether you agree with them or not.

The "will of the people" is not absolute in these regards. If a state passed a law reinstituting slavery or banning Catholics from office, then the SCOTUS, too, would be fullfilling their role and obligation to declare these laws unconstitutional.

Of course, the "will of the people" could then change/amend the constitution if they see fit to make slavery once again legal or allow the banning of Catholics from public office, there are procedures for this, but good luck with either or with enshrining DOMA Constitutionally as some GOP'ers have proposed.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I love how the will of the people only matters when the people are on your side, otherwise RUN TO THE COURT!!!!

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Rhumb

"This says "hey this is illegal, you must legislate ____, _____, _______, ______, insert tons of financial and other benefits"."

Of course it does.

Congress, ala DOMA, cannot continue to discriminate against same-sex married citizens under our Constitution. A law being the status quo is and of itself absolutely no protection against being declared unconstitutional or shield it from actions to make it so. Any SCOTUS decision will be in some way legally (and otherwise) consequential, they are not in the habit of hearing, much less ruling on, inconsequential items. The SCOTUS is not a debating society but rather, a co-equal element of out democracy with actual import and power.

The SCOTUS says nothing about how Congress must legislate to remove this unconstitutionality, merely that the current legal status quo is unconstitutional and cannot stand. Legislatures could simply remove any and all financial or other benefits for any married couples to comply. Or simply extend them to all married couples, regardless of gender.

Brown vs. Board has analogous concrete/financial ramifications too, ramifications that nonetheless did not obviate that decision in any way either.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d18...r-g?rel=player

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I love how the will of the people only matters when the people are on your side, otherwise RUN TO THE COURT!!!!
That's undoubtedly true, and so...?

If the "will of the people," whatever that vacuous term actually means, infringes upon an individual's Constitutional rights, then it is wholly right and appropriate for that individual to run to the courts to right that wrong. That is a basic role and function of the courts. To cite the "will of the people" (as asserted or measured by who?) is absolutely no justification or shield for unconstitutional laws or actions by out government.

Were our laws to actually reflect the "will of the people" today, circa 2013, regarding attitudes towards gay marriage, then DOMA and a host of state laws discriminating against them would be in contravention to the "will of the people." All to often, incantation of the "will of the people" is but a shrouded appeal to extra-Constitutional mob-rule or tyranny-of-the-majority, something that is NOT enshrined in our Constitution or democracy.

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #30
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Yes and no. Brown v Board said "hey this is illegal on the grounds of discrimination. You must integrate".

This says "hey this is illegal, you must legislate ____, _____, _______, ______, insert tons of financial and other benefits".
Actually, the DOMA ruling does not increase legislation. It removes legislation. It makes US Code smaller, not larger. It makes US code simpler, not more complex. You no longer have to have specific examples or additional clauses to add "an same-sex domestic partners/partnerships recognized by the US govt not not recognized by any or all states." That is a lot less legislation and code, rather than amend the 1100+ laws in US code that specifically deal with a "spouse" or person that is "married". In fact, you could go probably go back to earlier simpler code that does need to reflect "domestic partners" at all. If there is no prohibition on the gender of marriage. You can extend these benefits to married people and no longer have to deal with domestic partners. (OK, I don't want them to do that, but, they could and likely be constitutional. As it was not unconstitutional to extend benefits to married persons and same-sex domestic partners when same-sex partners could not be married.)

One could argue that far from creating extra legislation, the ruling actually reduces legislation. It was DOMA itself which made for much of the legislation you are currently referring to.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #31
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Bypassing what once was the will of the people...

The duly elected CA officials ARE now representing the current will of their people, circa 2013, the majority of who now support gay marriage.
The duly elected officials did not support the vote of the majority of the people. Same sex marriage was brought to the people for a vote and it lost.
Now we have a perfect example of the courts undermining the vote of the majority of the people. How do you/they know what the MAJORITY think now?

To settle the debate, same sex marriage, abortion, obamacare, etc. needs to be brought to a federal vote. Then and only then will we know what the true majority of Americans really support or not. This should also be done for certain issues by state votes.

Why is OK for our elected officials to ignor current laws on the books, just because they disagree with the law. I thought an oath of office was to uphold the current laws.
If laws become outdated for reason, bring it up to a vote again. But as long as it's current law, it should be enforced and defended.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
USSC, DOMA, & Prop 8...opinions....

The SC opinion against DOMA was wavering, at best. Leave it as a simple tenth amendment argument and be done with it.

Either way, a good ruling for states' rights.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
The duly elected officials did not support the vote of the majority of the people. Same sex marriage was brought to the people for a vote and it lost.
Now we have a perfect example of the courts undermining the vote of the majority of the people. How do you/they know what the MAJORITY think now?
Perhaps, if that vote instituted an unconstitutional statute or state amendment, then yes, it should be duly "undermined." We are, after all, a republican constitutional democracy, not a mob-rule state.

Quote:
To settle the debate, same sex marriage, abortion, obamacare, etc. needs to be brought to a federal vote. Then and only then will we know what the true majority of Americans really support or not. This should also be done for certain issues by state votes.
These issues HAVE been brought to a federal vote, ala our freely elected representatives as outlined in our aforementioned republican constitutional democracy. These same issues have also undergone and passed SCOTUS scrutiny too, some of them several times in various ways and guises.

Quote:
Why is OK for our elected officials to ignore current laws on the books, just because they disagree with the law. I thought an oath of office was to uphold the current laws.
If laws become outdated for reason, bring it up to a vote again. But as long as it's current law, it should be enforced and defended.
Most oath's of office that I'm familiar with pledge fealty to upholding the U.S. Constitution, which, arguably, may be somewhat distinct from or preeminent to upholding particular laws. In the Prop 8 case, they weren’t ignoring or failing to enforce a current active law but rather, not seeking to appeal a lower court ruling (it unconstitutional) as would be there prerogative to do so or not. Perhaps Prop 8 could be brought up for a popular referendum again, though it’s arguable whether it should given that it’s been ruled unconstitutional. All recent polls, though, clearly show that it would handily loose anyways.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #34
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:

Why is OK for our elected officials to ignor current laws on the books, just because they disagree with the law. I thought an oath of office was to uphold the current laws.
Let us be clear. The elected officials in Cali did enforce and defend Prop 8. in the Perry v. Schwarzenegger case. They accepted the ruling of the court. It was individuals (who may or may not have had the support of the majority) who decide on their own personal initiative to appeal the case. Just because some people did not like the ruling in Perry v. Schwarzenegger, well sucks to be them. Courts rule on things people like or don't like all the time. The state has the power to accept the ruling in the case that it brought and choose not to appeal the decision. Just because some folks didn't like Walker's ruling does not mean the state is obligated to appeal.

It is not OK for elected officials to ignore current laws on the books. However, officials in California did not ignore those current laws and defended the suit brought against Prop 8. Those are the facts.

Perhaps elected officials need to better understand the constitution and not write legislation which violates the 5th and 14h amendments in the first place.

Last edited by rdsesq; 06-27-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
phrozen06
Banned User

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
You wouldn't have a job if people didn't run to the court.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
The SC opinion against DOMA was wavering, at best. Leave it as a simple tenth amendment argument and be done with it.

Either way, a good ruling for states' rights.
As long as at 10th amendment argument doesn't trample on Article IV, Section 1.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #37
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
You wouldn't have a job if people didn't run to the court.
Trust me, I'd be more than happy to find alternate employment (I daydream about being laid off).

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #38
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Trust me, I'd be more than happy to find alternate employment (I daydream about being laid off).
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #39
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I wouldn't counsel my worst enemy to go to law school, true story

Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #40
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
I wouldn't counsel my worst enemy to go to law school, true story
That's a bummer. I love what I do.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote