E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
Noisy rear window

Yesterday I had the extreme thrill of being a passenger in my own car as we crossed Alligator alley. For a while I climbed into the back to see where one particularly annoying noise was coming from... obviously I'm perfectly well aware of the never-ending noise from the window edges up top (no matter how many times I run rags or towels through there it never ever ever ever gets clean as per the "quiet down your soft top" thread on M3F), but this one was different.

I can't quite tell what exactly it is, but it has to do with the rear glass. If I press on it, even with just a tiny bit of pressure, it stops making noise completely. If I let go, it's vibrating again.

I think part of this might be that my exhaust is so damn loud it causes extra vibrations (and man is it loud in the back seat... can't wait to get rid of it) but does anyone know what might be making the noise and whether there's anything that can be tightened/sealed to shut it up?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
pcdriver

My Ride: 05 330cis Convertibl
Funny thing, I've had the same problem with both front windows making noise, very annoying, so I tried taking a bar of soap and with the door open, rub the top and side edge's of the window a couple of times until you have a thick layer on the window. The noise went away after a couple days and so did white residue. Hope this helps.
pcdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
The windows might be loose. I tightened my front windows.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Dave

This is my rear window. Inside the soft top. I'm not really all that worried about the side windows, even as annoying as they are. At least I know what that is.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Dave

Got a courtesy consult from BMW Sarasota's convertible top guru today. We:

1- found a $5 parts kit for some of the screws and pieces in the rear section of the top assembly that should allow me to replace the bolt that backed out and caused my hydraulic leak
2- isolated the rattle in my rear window to the headliner being loose near two of the five clips that secure it to the window. Solution: tear up a little bit of foam and jam it in there. SILENCE!
3- waxed the top of my four windows. Jury's out on this one til more miles are put on it, but this too seems to have made a huge difference.

So I'll be throwing the little part kit in with my massive parts order for bushings, mounts, plug, coils, cooling, steering, headliner flap repair kit, etc. I think I'm going to drop close to $1500 on OEM parts in the next month or so to overhaul pretty much this entire car.

Anyway, one small but annoying problem is easily solved... hope maybe this can help someone else too. It's easy to diagnose when the top is starting to open if you stop it before the tonneau cover unlatches. You get a nice view and angle to reach in and mess with it.