E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Stahlgrau Mafia

My Ride: is a SteelGrey sedan
Question First mods to 325i sport.

So as the title says, I have $400 up to this point that I can devote to improving my 03 2.5L with sport package. I can also save more as time goes on.
What would be the first thing you do? I'm open to anything, from cosmetic to performance. Some ideas I had were suspension (coilovers), exhaust, or intake.
Stahlgrau Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau Mafia View Post
So as the title says, I have $400 up to this point that I can devote to improving my 03 2.5L with sport package. I can also save more as time goes on.
What would be the first thing you do? I'm open to anything, from cosmetic to performance. Some ideas I had were suspension (coilovers), exhaust, or intake.
make sure you have maintenance up to date first. If it's not, something will fail soon and $400 will not cover even labor.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Have you done maintenance? I always suggest maintenance as will anyone else here. Best mod is the clutch fan to electric fan conversion.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Stahlgrau Mafia

Regular maintenence is done as scheduled. Since November I've replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs and had the timing done with those, plus regular oil change change and new brakes (Though the pedal feels a little soft, and the shop never redid the brake fluid or anything with the calipers, just pads and rotors. Considering new stainless brake lines and fluid flush with those). I just hit 155,000 miles. Anything you would recommend at that point? On that note, I don't know whether the transmission fluid has ever been replaced or not, but I know if not it may be too late. If anyone could direct to info on that, it would be much appreciated. Thats got me kinda worried.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Stahlgrau Mafia

Or I guess I can use the search bar. Its an auto, btw.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau Mafia View Post
Regular maintenence is done as scheduled. Since November I've replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs and had the timing done with those, plus regular oil change change and new brakes (Though the pedal feels a little soft, and the shop never redid the brake fluid or anything with the calipers, just pads and rotors. Considering new stainless brake lines and fluid flush with those). I just hit 155,000 miles. Anything you would recommend at that point? On that note, I don't know whether the transmission fluid has ever been replaced or not, but I know if not it may be too late. If anyone could direct to info on that, it would be much appreciated. Thats got me kinda worried.
You should replace the tranny fluid. You should also do a brake fluid flush. The new fluid will help a lot. No need to go with SS lines. We recommend replacing a good bit of the cooling system as well. Expansion tank, cap, hoses, thermostat, sensor, water pump. If you want to get your car to 200K, you should do this.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Most people like the Buffalo Muffler Type 2. Look for vendor "DMAX RACING" on eBay. Best value, IMO.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Stahlgrau Mafia

Well aint that a buzzkill ahaha. Ah well, Thanks. I'll look into it.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Stahlgrau Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Most people like the Buffalo Muffler Type 2. Look for vendor "DMAX RACING" on eBay. Best value, IMO.
Thanks! I'll check that out! Still picking up ideas for after maintainence is done.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
everything in my sig plus more not listed because not enough space lol.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
SK8URDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
This.

But I might add that you can get the Type 1 for almost half the price of a new type 2 now, so that's worth looking into if you don't need the added features.

I'll be picking up his Ram-man high performance intake soon as well. But first I need to spend some money on vinyl wrap for my hood. It's only temporary, I just want to see what it will look like, then i'll probably take it off.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
This.

But I might add that you can get the Type 1 for almost half the price of a new type 2 now, so that's worth looking into if you don't need the added features.

I'll be picking up his Ram-man high performance intake soon as well. But first I need to spend some money on vinyl wrap for my hood. It's only temporary, I just want to see what it will look like, then i'll probably take it off.
Yea but the Type 1 is made in China. Type 2 moved their factories over to Germany. Sorry but I only install German parts on my ride. Plus the tips are permanent on the Type 1. The Type 2 has removable tips so you can install custom ones later on. You should see the ones my homie made for me with his welder.

Go German or GO HOME!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Look for vendor "DMAX RACING" on eBay. Best value, IMO.
Okay, you got me on this one. Did the search (idiot that I am) and found this:

It's not a muffler, but I think I can make it fit. (A search for Buffalo Muffler turned up some motorcycle exhaust parts. Is there nothing that's not listed on ebay?)

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
First mods to 325i sport.

Irish you got collateral trolled.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Pretty exciting news, guys, but the new type III will be out late November if you can wait. Flame bursts are still controlled by a switch, but we've added a dial to regulate the pressure to either side of pipe through a valve in the "X" fitting. You can dial in any sound you want from Buffalo to my favorite--Beagles getting it on. Have you ever heard what they sound like?

It's awesome! Whenever I drive anywhere with 'beagle' dialed in, people turn and look at me all the time. I know they're looking for beagles...but they get me instead.

Stainless, as before...and you can get Titanium tips fitted in any of 5 different shapes--rectangle, circle, square, beagle, pentagon.

Beagle tips are $150 extra. Whole unit is only $1734.17

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
This has to be one of the most epic trollings I've ever read on these forums.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
First mods to 325i sport.

Quote:
Yea but the Type 1 is made in China. Type 2 moved their factories over to Germany. Sorry but I only install German parts on my ride. Plus the tips are permanent on the Type 1. The Type 2 has removable tips so you can install custom ones later on. You should see the ones my homie made for me with his welder.

Go German or GO HOME!
I would say this thread has officially put mango over the edge.

I love it. Heres the breakdown boys. OP has a new to him, used e46, $400 cash saved up, can get more over time, and wants to know what he can mod on his car. But, he did do all his maintenance, which includes brake pads and an oil change, which we all know that as long as your brake pads are fresh and you put new oil in an E46 with 150k on it then you will be good to go so you can go ahead and spend that $400 on some chrome exhaust tips, a really sweet cold air intake, and a racing carbon fiber hood.

Long story short, within a month OP will have his first (of many) service bill of over $2000 and will be posting his new sweet cold air intake for sale in the classifieds. (I got dibs on it). He will then have no money and his new used car will sit in the driveway until it gets sold to someone else for far less than what he paid because of said $2000+ service bill. OP will then look for honda civic, which having $400 budget for service he should've bought in the first place, and then OP will live happily ever after never buying a high end German car ever again. The end.

mjpgolf1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Irish you got collateral trolled.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Nah. Irish knows better. It's Yewzer that got trolled by thinking Irish got trolled.

I laughed pretty hard once I read DMAX's quick and thorough response. That's excellent customer service!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #20
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Is this the inception of trolling? A troll within a troll?

We must go deeper.

OP, your "maintenance" is sufficient for a Civic, but not an E46 of that mileage. Due to Murphy's law as soon as you blow that little wad of cash on some bling bling, something is going to break. Search the forums.

Last edited by choxor; 07-01-2013 at 11:23 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, cosmetic, mods, money, performance