E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT

NY / NJ / CT
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
NY NJ CT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Learning to drive manual

Have you ever had to teach someone to drive manual from square one?
Today was my day to teach the girlfriend.
I got her to feel out the clutch engagement point in 1st gear and she was doing phenomenal in a parking lot till we actually took it to a street. Stalled out 6x all at different red lights. She consistently is letting go of the clutch fully without giving any gas. Also she tends to keep her foot on the gas while trying to shift to the next gear. Its a whole mess.

I need some pointers to have her master the skill of driving a manual car.

Please do not post comments saying to stay automatic. She sees me driving a stick and wants to do the same.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
D3LM3L

My Ride: 'ne geile Karre
Send a message via AIM to D3LM3L
I think the hardest part about learning manual is not the actual skill of starting, but rather getting over your fear of stalling in traffic. This is what may have happened with your girlfriend and all she may need is time and practice.

2001 BMW 330i 5 Speed, Jet Black on Tanin Red, ZSP, ZCW, HK, M-Tech I
Mods: Dinan CAI + Stage 1 Software, Clears + LED tails, Leather M Shift knob, Meyle HD FCABs, Orion V2 6000k Angel Eyes, VMR V710 18" Wheels

D3LM3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
Learning to drive manual

Keep practicing! I taught my fianc***233; to drive stick in about 3 hours in a parking lot and she did great. Told her to drive home and it was back to square 1. Practice on the streets try on the weekend maybe at a time when traffic on the streets isn't to heavy. After about 2-3 drive sessions she got the hang of it.
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
You win at dating.

From a start, teach her to feel out the equilibrium point where the revs stay constant. I'd say 50% gas and 50% clutch, and teach her to keep it there as the car hauls forward. Make her notice how the wheel speed catches up to the engine speed and then she can let the clutch out smoothly then. So many people try to start but never let the revs settle out like you should. They just keep letting the clutch out until the car judders to a stall.

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
rodz017

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
i usually let off the clutch easy n slow without touching the gas letting the clutch push the car , time n patience is key . my girl wants to learn but im too scare she might mess up the clutch or something. i rather rent a car
rodz017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
zhenkaaaM3

Re: Learning to drive manual

My fellow fanatics. I am losing energy and patience with it lol. She got into 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear driving on the street. I got her to feel out he clutch and when it engages. I dont want to put her on the street till she gets 1st gear down. I have her rolling the car in 1st gear with the clutch only, no gas. I think she needs to understand the concept 1st. Maybe take her to an arcade and be a kid again and understand how it works.

Shes going up to 4000 rpms in 1st without noticing. Today will be day 2 of teaching her. Hope it goes well. There is so much more then just getting into gear.....

Old 07-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
Learning to drive manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
You win at dating.

From a start, teach her to feel out the equilibrium point where the revs stay constant. I'd say 50% gas and 50% clutch
Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sent from an iToaster.
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
Learning to drive manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TArse View Post
Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sent from an iToaster.
When I was teaching my lady I had her feel out the clutch, no gas all clutch in 1st. After about 10 times of that she started adding a little gas and was going good. She didnt take to the streets as there was lunch traffic

Sent from an iToaster.
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
dji203

My Ride: Z4 3.0si, 135is
I found it easiest to find a quiet street or empty lot that has a SMALL hill and keep practicing on that. You can't expect her to master everything at once, getting into first is just one of many things on a long list. Worry about the gear shifts later b/c she's inevitably going to ride the clutch or gas during shifts in the beginning.

In terms of coming to a stop, let her just shift into get on the brakes. She can later row through the gears and learn to downshift/rev match later. If you thought this process was going to be just a few days, you are wrong... it's going to take her weeks if not months to drive a manual smoothly.

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
dji203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Incog45

My Ride: 2006 M3 IR
Send a message via Skype™ to Incog45
Learning to drive manual

What helped me when I learned, is when I noticed the car felt like it wanted to go forward and that is when I applied the gas. That helped me out a lot and started stalling way less. If she is having problem with the friction point, have her take off her shoe so she can feel it better.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
ars88

My Ride: BMW 3
I taught someone how to ride a manual in about 20 minutes at the Caesars Bay parking lot.

I think the most important thing I did was to explain beforehand (with examples) of how the whole system works. Like whats the point of the clutch and what happens when its engaged/disengaged and how the gears come into play. The person then had a pretty good understanding on how it works and just needed to feel the manual out. I also showed, with my hands, how the clutch pedal should come out while the accelerator goes down (right hand = accelerator and left hand = clutch). The person only stalled twice and got the hang of it afterwards.

Also, maybe you should have her practice while the car is off. Like have her engage the clutch, shift gear, and let off the clutch while accelerating so she can get the hang of it?
ars88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
audiquattrot

My Ride: 2005 M3, 1990 325iX
have her practice on a desolate hill, the engagement point, over and over again. Once she masters that, everything else is cake walk. Grymes Hill was my biggest fear when i was learning.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Learning to drive manual

+1 on a secluded slight incline. May be even a long inclined driveway without any other cars in front or behind.
Make her learn how to
Balance the car on an incline with just the clutch and first gear, no gas. Once she is able to balance the car without rolling back on the incline she will know how to use the clutch.
Another way is to use handbrake on the red light and inclines but it might become a habit.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
zhenkaaaM3

Thanks for all the insights. I taught her to engage the clutch in 1st with no gas and then give some gas. Her problem is transitioning from letting go of the gas pedal to push down the clutch to switch gears. Same goes from transitioning from the gas pedal.to shifting to neutral and then braking

Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Julian Moore

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert
Remember if she is scared on a hill or a car is to close behind teach her to use the handbrake. Engage the brake to hold the car, give it some gas and start letting the clutch out, as she feels the car grabbing you release the clutch and your off. Since these cars rev so freely they can be a little daunting to a new driver, seeing the rpms climb so quickly. I personally would find a friend with a less rev happy car to teach stick on. Good luck. My wife has never had an automatic car...always stick. She says autos are boring. 20 years married. ;-)
Julian Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
zhenkaaaM3

This is a brand new honda civic si. Clutch is awesome on it. LET THE HONDA COMMENTS BEGIN

Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Haha, I taught my wife. It didn't go...well......I'm not good at teaching anything and get frustrated a bit too easily. Regardless, we stuck at it and she learned to drive a stick just fine. Driving it fast is a whole nother issue...she has a problem with wrapping out the RPMS and will slip the clutch on a fast shift so I just gave up in those regards. At that point, you either learn to teach yourself how to drive well or don't.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
Julian Moore

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert
Honda has a light clutch and is still pretty rev happy.
Julian Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

My Ride: hookedup CIVIC Si
Send a message via AIM to lilmenace91
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
My fellow fanatics. I am losing energy and patience with it lol. She got into 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear driving on the street. I got her to feel out he clutch and when it engages. I dont want to put her on the street till she gets 1st gear down. I have her rolling the car in 1st gear with the clutch only, no gas. I think she needs to understand the concept 1st. Maybe take her to an arcade and be a kid again and understand how it works.

Shes going up to 4000 rpms in 1st without noticing. Today will be day 2 of teaching her. Hope it goes well. There is so much more then just getting into gear.....

you hit the nail on the head with tht 2nd to last sentence in ur 1st blurb.

i taught a friend how to drive... she did great in the parking lott... everything from clutch release to the understanding what gear she should b in to match the road speed.

but before we went to the lott i drew her a diagram. but i dumbed it down.

drew and engine. (yes i put 6 cylinders inline =]) drew a small flap which was suppose to b the clutch and then the gears. which are in some weird way attached to the wheel... and maybe this whole diagram was wrong. but i explained to her that when the clutch is down.. there is no power going through the flap to the gears >>> to the wheels.. -- so u have to ease the flap down (ease off the clutch) emphasized to her that the engine at idel speed isnt strong enough to get the car going if u connect it to the wheels to quick so u have to EASE off the clutch. once that idea is in the head she'll notice WHEN shes letting the clutch go too quick by feeling the jerks from the engine. n she'll automatically push the clutch back down and she wont stall atleast... (something bout the engine sounds like its being hurt according to women) loll

sit in the car and rev the engine till 5 6 thousand rpms and hold it there for few seconds and make her listen to what it sounds like and how it shouldnt get to that note or stay there.

lastly... with my frnd i gave her speed ranges that each gear could handle without the car jerking after she lets go of the clutch when down shifting...

if you're at one of those intersections when you ROLL though the turn tell her to drop it 2 second. and EASE off the clutch and onto the gas.

if its a dead stop sign obviously 1st

and if its a wide corner and she wants to b brave and take it at 15 20ish mph in 3rd? <<

lastly... for ur cars sake..and ur safety... make her go through the gears without looking at the shift knob. and.. tell her to shift from n- to 1 through 5 6? gears in the SI? idk ( i have a 5 speed v6 auto accord) but make those gear locations a second nature to her...

best of luck frm fellow fanatic from near by - jersey haha

-------------------------------------------------------
E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
window tints 35% all around
dynavin w/ android

^^^^^ this is upsetting i need more to add to the list.
lilmenace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
zhenkaaaM3

Niceeee write up! ^^^