E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT

NY / NJ / CT
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
NY NJ CT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Re: Learning to drive manual

Update: day 2. MUCH better then day 1.
Now she lets go of the gas while shifting. Shifts on point but jerks the car. Looks like shes letting go of the clutch too quick. She burnt the living hell out of it though by going into 1st at a dead stop.reving to 5000 rpms and having the clutch half way released. OUCH POOR CAR!. Still struggling with getting into 1st. She does the whole "let the clutch go till you feel the engagement of it" and give it some gas. Its getting there, not perfect. Still no reverse.
ON to day 3

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
One day at a time.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #23
Think0rz

My Ride: 05 AW M3
OP you mind sharing what car you are attempting to teach her in? If its a RWD car try to borrow someones FWD car, ideally a stock civic those are the best cars to learn stick on. So much feed back in the wheel will help train your feet and it will be easier to adopt to rwd there after.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #24
jayjaya29

My Ride: 1997 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
My Dad drove me to an empty parking lot a couple minutes from the house. He got out and said drive home, and started walking away.

Once you know the absolute basics (like what the clutch does and the gearshift pattern), its easier to learn if you are in the car yourself. It takes away the embarrassment factor. Certainly helped me; its not as embarrassing to stall when you are by yourself and you can learn from your mistakes a lot quicker.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
zhenkaaaM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think0rz View Post
OP you mind sharing what car you are attempting to teach her in? If its a RWD car try to borrow someones FWD car, ideally a stock civic those are the best cars to learn stick on. So much feed back in the wheel will help train your feet and it will be easier to adopt to rwd there after.
She leased a brand new civic si. Id never let the abuse happen to my M

Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

My Ride: hookedup CIVIC Si
Send a message via AIM to lilmenace91

Hahaha "aint no body got time fo'dat" I like how u said... I never let tht abuse go to my M.... N then I remember you posting earlier "poor car" --- u said tht cuz the car aint urs. If it was ur car instead of poor car... itd b #***247;;#*#%@$ ... keep us posted. On how things r going... ou n a pic of the si mayb...

N jus for the count. Chicks that shift are hott in my book lol. So big ups to u n ur girl. Haha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BimmerApp mobile app

-------------------------------------------------------
E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
window tints 35% all around
dynavin w/ android

^^^^^ this is upsetting i need more to add to the list.
lilmenace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #27
nlav26

My Ride: 2001 330i
I've tried this with my girlfriend probably 2 or 3 times but scatted over the course of a year. Each time she forgot everything I taught her the last time. Decided to give up...

P.S. Ben at Rogue just told me my clutch is going.

Last edited by nlav26; 07-03-2013 at 02:51 PM.
nlav26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #28
zhenkaaaM3

Day 3- After 30min shes started to give up on it because shes stalling out in 1st too many times. I said, it may take weeks and/or months. Some people get the hang of it much sooner or slower then others. Knowing her hardheaded self, it will take some time.
I try to explain to her that feel out the clutch engagement point and watch your rpm gauge. Watch it as its going to move as you almost fully release the clutch. Once you see the movement of the needle on the tach, depress the accelerator slightly till you start moving and then release fully.
Maybe she should have just got an auto.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #29
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Learning to drive manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
Day 3- After 30min shes started to give up on it because shes stalling out in 1st too many times. I said, it may take weeks and/or months. Some people get the hang of it much sooner or slower then others. Knowing her hardheaded self, it will take some time.
I try to explain to her that feel out the clutch engagement point and watch your rpm gauge. Watch it as its going to move as you almost fully release the clutch. Once you see the movement of the needle on the tach, depress the accelerator slightly till you start moving and then release fully.
Maybe she should have just got an auto.
Does she still have her old car? She could at least drive that until she becomes better with the manual.

My uncle taught me how to drive manual in India. Basically we had the streets in the neighborhood that I drove this huge Honda City ZX through and, although a little scary, it worked out fine after a few tries. Just like you said, I also would watch the rpm gauge initially but for less than a second.

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #30
CK325

My Ride: 323Ci, 325xi
I taught a girl I know in about 15 minutes about a month ago. Maybe she was a natural but she only stalled out once and we actually went on a decent drive around the block or 2.

I first tried to explain in the most basic terms as I could to her how the manual transmission works. Mostly focused on clutch engaging and how each gear is different/bigger whatever...she followed along well enough.

Then I had her go through the process of shifting and feeling out the clutch without it running. Had her do the whole motion; clutch, shift, let go clutch add gas, repeat. Then you repeat some more.

Next had her put it in first gear and told her to get it rolling without using the gas pedal yet to get that much more used to the clutch. After a few of those, told her to get on the gas and then shift to second etc. Took her some getting used to but she didn't jerk the car too much and like I said, stalled out once when she forgot what she was doing.

Either way, learning stick shouldn't take more than half an hour. After that it's just practice.

EDIT: Also, I'd tell her what to do when and exactly how to do it initially. It seemed to have helped her a lot and she didn't really mind being told what to do

Last edited by CK325; 07-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.
CK325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
zhenkaaaM3

Less then half an hour? Im screwed then
Awesomechinzn, its brand new

Last edited by zhenkaaaM3; 07-04-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #32
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
Learning to drive manual

Quote:
Less then half an hour? Im screwed then
Awesomechinzn, its brand new
Woah as in her first car? Hmmm ok haha

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #33
zhenkaaaM3

I feel the car will have bent valves very soon with a lot more of $hifting. Going from 5th gear to 2nd at 40mph instead of 4th... OUCH!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #34
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
Learning to drive manual

Quote:
She leased a brand new civic si. Id never let the abuse happen to my M

What if vtec kicks in yo?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #35
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

My Ride: hookedup CIVIC Si
Send a message via AIM to lilmenace91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TArse View Post
What if vtec kicks in yo?

What if the vtech kicks in yo? > What if the vanos kicks in yo! << I read tht somewhere on this fourm... lmfao I want a signature avatar like that.

I ride dirty in my 330ci but I ride dirty-er in my 6 cylinder V-tech accord 4 door. Roflmao

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BimmerApp mobile app

-------------------------------------------------------
E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
window tints 35% all around
dynavin w/ android

^^^^^ this is upsetting i need more to add to the list.
lilmenace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #36
nlav26

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
My Dad drove me to an empty parking lot a couple minutes from the house. He got out and said drive home, and started walking away.

Once you know the absolute basics (like what the clutch does and the gearshift pattern), its easier to learn if you are in the car yourself. It takes away the embarrassment factor. Certainly helped me; its not as embarrassing to stall when you are by yourself and you can learn from your mistakes a lot quicker.
This is a really good idea. I've seen first hand that people get embarrassed when trying to learn stick.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #37
rodz017

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
i learned in the streets of Panama in the Army in the heat during rush hour traffic up hills n stuff n them drivers over there are worst than taxi drivers , black livery cabs n jersey drivers all on a stick in a Mitsubishi Mirage that " embarrassment factor " goes out the window when the pressure gauge is turned up a couple notches good luck patience is key
rodz017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #38
zhenkaaaM3

Thats what my idea was. Drive her to the city and have get take the 278 home

Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #39
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Learning to drive manual

I taught my wife, or actually she taught herself. I was away and she only had my car to drive. She learned quite quickly.

I think it really helped that I wasn't there while she was learning. I remember when I first started, and I HATED driving with someone else in the car. Because they're always there critiquing you, and it can get really frustrating.

Maybe you should let her just take it out by herself and practice. It's a really tough thing to teach sense everyone has their own way of driving.

Last edited by HBizzo88; 07-08-2013 at 02:01 PM.
HBizzo88 is online now   Reply With Quote