E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
These past few days... [Just need to talk to you guys for a moment.]

A BMW forum, specific to the E46. What a place to make friends, acquaintances, and... trolls. I enjoy coming here and I've learned that, despite our rough jokes and name calling, we come together and support members when they need it most. (Okay... I really do sincerely apologize to SollyD when he and his [now-]ex-girlfriend were breaking up; my comment was pathetic.)

Well... I could use that support right about now. The past several days have been rather stressful for me and my girlfriend. June 20th, she had a minor surgery (I'll leave out the details) that left her confined to the bed for the most part. I've had to wait on her and tend to her more than ever before, and I really don't mind that. It's the pain she's had to endure from it, though. Seeing her in pain and knowing I can't do anything about it other than get her a Percoset from the medicine bottle makes me feel helpless and... I don't know what the word is which I'm looking for...

Things started to look up until yesterday morning. She told me she saw a bump appear on the surgical site where the sutures were and said it hurt like holy hell. I told her to call the doctor and try to get an appointment ASAP. Fortunately, they managed to schedule her in for that same afternoon. That was a huge relief.

Before she called the doctor, though, I was halfway to work in my three-mile commute and I see a black Nissan Murano approaching the intersection. He appeared to be slowing down, however, he started speeding back up. The guy ran his red light and, despite my best braking efforts, I tagged his driver's side rear tire area.

He was on his way to a clinic ONE BLOCK AWAY from where the accidfent occurred to get an MRI done for... get this... a brain tumor.

Now... I can't say that all brain tumors affect driving ability, but when he told the police officer, "I didn't see my light had turned red," I had to question his driving abilities. There are times to be stressed and worried, I understand that, but driving is NOT one of those times. I will say I am fortunate in the sense that he admitted fault to the police, so that's a huge thorn out of my side and a battle I will not have to worry about fighting.

Roughly an hour after it happened, my adrenaline was finally wearing thin. My neck began to cramp up and, at the advice of countless people, I took a trip to the ER to ensure nothing major was wrong with my neck.

I do have a decent sprain and I'm in a bit of pain as I type this, so I've considered calling my lawyer just to cover all bases, especially since the guy who ran the red light told his insurance company I rear-ended him and that I was at fault. After clarifying that bit, I found out they had to reassign the case to a different department and I would not be getting a rental car or any kind of reimbursement until after all the paperwork has been reassigned and cleared up.

Now that it's today and not yesterday, things are improving again. My girlfriend ended up having to have a second operation done to clean the wound site (there was a minor infection, but nothing too serious), and I'm sitting in the waiting area. They just told me they finished up and she'll be sore for a couple days, but again, it's nothing too bad. Once we leave the hospital and I get her tucked away in bed, I'm going to get my rental car (the insurance company just called me and told me everything is getting squared away) and get her some soup I promised I would get.

I've missed so much time at work, my next couple paychecks are going to be absolutely pathetic. I've considered taking a second job or advertising disc brake jobs on Craigslist for $50 + parts (which I'll mark up a bit) just so we can pay the bills. I don't know how well I'll be able to perform said work, considering my neck is ten kinds of fucked up from yesterday's last week.

I know this wall of text may seem like it jumps around a bit, but I'm just stressed. If you actually read all this, thank you. I just needed to talk and ramble.

TL;DR: I'm stressed, worried, and injured, but you guys always rock.

EDIT: My name is on the wrist band. Had to edit that out.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 07-02-2013 at 01:54 PM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Life could be worse... I mean, you could live in like Birmingham, Alabama or something

Oh wait///

It all gets better, keep your head up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 07-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Things could be 100% worse. Keep your head up and everything will get better. Just a series of unfortunate events happening at the same time.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
SPDSKTR

I know things could be worse, but it's just all the little things piling up at once. One pebble isn't heavy, but you get a sackful...
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
The sun will rise tomorrow. Everything will be fine. Take care of yourself and your lady to the best of your ability.
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan

Fanatics is a 24/7 hotline to help relieve stress or calm the nerves. OP good luck and it is good that things are getting better as they should!

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
get well soon, mang. we're always e-here for you
Old 07-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Keep EVERY piece of paper related to the incident. Every medical bill, legal document, or receipt from damages incurred. Without them, any type of legal action will be a huge PITA

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
pakman3

My Ride: piece
Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
SPDSKTR

On the plus side, if my hood needs replacing, the body shop manager said he'll gladly get a GT-R vented hood and paint it for me for next to nothing.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
AndrewCross

My Ride: 2000 323Ci

Hope things look up for you soon, man. Stay positive!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Better widebody the car now
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I hope things start looking up soon.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Better widebody the car now
Ha! I wish.

I'm already debating on the GT-R hood due to the vents. I have an ECIS intake (open cone element) and the vents sit right on top of it. Sealing off the intake wouldn't be too difficult since I have foam rubber all around the heat shield. Perhaps just a piece of plastic laid over top of the box will provide enough protection in the event of a downpour.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
AJP330i

My Ride: 05 ZHP
Sucks that you are having a tough time... When it rains it pours man... We all hit those times at some point, makes us appreciate the good times even more..

What always makes me feel better is going to Wal-Mart or a Flea Market in the lessor part of town and just look around... Always brightens my day to know i am not doing as bad as a lot of other people!!! I know, I know, F'd up but it works...

Tomorrow is a new day!

Last edited by AJP330i; 07-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.
AJP330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
You need to get your finances in order. If a fender bender causes you to get a second job, your contingency plan is weak or non-existent. I know you've stated that you don't make much, these small "pebbles" wouldn't be pebbles if you had enough savings to cover these last two weeks until you make it up. You should always have 6 months of salary saved, more if possible.

I honestly couldn't let myself drive a BMW when I'm struggling to afford other life issues.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by captanpic View Post
Sucks that you are having a tough time... When it rains it pours man... We all hit those times at some point, makes us appreciate the good times even more..

What always makes me feel better is going to Wal-Mart or a Flea Market in the lessor part of town and just look around... Always brightens my day to know i am not doing as bad as a lot of other people!!! I know, I know, F'd up but it works...

Tomorrow is a new day!
I live in Alabama. All I have to do is look straight ahead!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert

hang in there, listen to some music and although I know you'd probably think this is the last thing you'd want to do at this time, go to the gym and just sit on one of those recumbant bikes and cycle for 20-30minutes to a sweat. The least aggressive exercise you can do; some cardio and good music will honestly make you feel better. increasing your serotonin levels naturally is key.

true story.

Last edited by fayraree; 07-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Things will get better!

However it might help if you got some better socks. I had some of those and I threw them out they hurt my feet so bad.