E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
LostMarine

My Ride: Evolve Supercharged
E9x Evolve Supercharged!

My Evolve Supercharged M3- I always said, a DCT M3 with a few minor adjustments, is a great machine that provides you endless hours of driving pleasure. There is one and only one drawback to a DCT M3, and that is lack of sufficient power (TQ especially). Luckily, there are supercharger options available.

Although I had a lot fun with a different setup, in the end, it left me wanting a level of refinement that it just couldn't deliver. It was such a drastic change from the original design of the M3's perfect symmetry, that I had decided to move onto another car..

Or so I thought...Going back to N/A was the best thing that could have happened, as I immediately remembered what the M3 was all about; balanced perfection in all aspects- throttle response, cornering ability, AMAZING curb/aesthetic appeal, a beautiful sounding V8, and of course DCT. IT JUST NEEDS MORE POWER!!

A quick conversation with Sal @Evolve again, changed my mind. He spoke of how perfectly matched this Rotrex blower and 8 rib belt system were for the S65. Combined with his tuning ability, he assured me that it will not disappoint, and is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Given he has delivered on multiple platforms, and even my own car with the N/A tune, I believed him.

For many of you following their detailed release of information, you already know the many long hours of R&D put into each piece of this kit. I counted the days until the arrival of what was one of the most anticipated releases for true enthusiasts. The day it arrived, I unwrapped each meticulously wrapped piece of hardware. I could see that there was no fluff in what Evolve shared with us. Each CNC'd piece was as exquisite as the last, and of the highest quality. This was definitely designed to compliment such a beautiful work of art as the ///M3, both in the style department, as well as POWER!. I almost didn't want to install it just to show off the individual pieces to friends..

As soon as it arrived, I called my preferred shop and scheduled an install. Having previous experience with Evolve's, work, they were just as excited to get their hands on it as I was! Just a few days later, I brought the car in around 1pm. Garth was in the middle of tuning what would later be a 900rwhp Supra on their in house dyno (1k+ on a DJ). After completing that current pull, he joined the rest of the shop personnel basking in such beautifully mesmerizing craftsmanship.

An hour later Drew, my installer, buttoned up a basic GTR upgrade package he started that morning and pulled my M inside. After completing a thorough inspection of all pieces and a quick perusing of the install instructions, he went to work. The next 5 hours flew by as I watched my car transform- as I had seen once before, but not with this kind of excitement. Even with my constant distractions, installation was way ahead of my own schedule and he called it a night around 8pm.

The following day when I arrived Drew was almost finished up! I had heard that this kit might be more intricate than others so I was shocked..Drew had stated it was more detailed than the other due to the A2A inter-cooler and switching to the 8 rib, but at no time was anything difficult or challenging: "Pretty straight forward supercharger install, its not the first I've done, and wont be the last". He stated he admired the extra effort to go with 8 rib system to eliminate belt slip, "that was smart, very smart". All that was left was the gorgeous and undoubtedly best looking plenum ever created, piping for it, and re-install of body work, so I said lets have lunch before we finish it.

Total install time was somewhere between 11-12 hours, one man. I call that awesome for a never done before kit, and having to deal with me snapping pictures, video, and all-around annoyance getting in the way

Flashing the tune was as easy as could be, Evolve-R cable and software, file in the email, load it, and 5 minutes later we were ready to go!

This video is not the greatest video ever shot. No time-lapse install, no crazy music overlays, not even good editing. I didn't care too much about that as I was and still am so excited to just drive this monster.

What it does show, is hands down the best Supercharger kit I have ever come across. (Many will argue one way or the other about this kit or that, and that's fine. But until you have driven each of them, hard AND in commuter traffic, your opinion holds no weight with me as you have no valid point of reference.)

Every kit has its pro's and cons. I wont go into details about any by name, but each excel in some area's, and need work on others. With just over 1000 miles, I have not found any flaws with this kit.

As the Brand name says, EVOLVE. With its release, I can in good faith tell you that the bar has been raised. S65 performance has Evolved. This Evolve Supercharger has combined every great aspect of previous kits, and addressed/eliminated the weaknesses.

What you cant grasp from this initial video, is the smooth throttle. That was my biggest fear,losing the soul of the M3, I did not want to have an on/off switch for the throttle.

The easiest way to describe it, is that you would NEVER know this car is boosted. It feels EXACTLY like it did N/A, just with plenty of power at any throttle position or gear. You would think I went from a 4.0 to a 6.0L by how much more instant and controllable power this car has. The Rotrex itself is SUPER quite. You cant hear it running. This is perfectly matched for those people that want a level of refinement and class that one would expect with the M3. Personally, I LOVE the sound of a supercharger whine, but my wife loves that she can hear herself talk now when we drive together. (I should mention that the exhaust you hear in the video is the loudest M3 exhaust you will ever hear, it is a one-off design that has valves prior to OEM mufflers basically making it straight-piped. Valves closed it is just as quiet as stock however.. true sleeper status!)

Boost comes in very, very early, but so smooth and controllable. This shows in the video if you watch, I don't have to go above 3500 rpm for the car to come alive. Gone are the days of having to downshift and rev it out to 7k just to get away from a light or merge onto speeding highway traffic.

Heat.. Heat is the killer. Let me tell you, I wish i had this on video.. And I think im going to do it. 2 1/2 hr drive right after break-in.. All sorts of driving, a lot of highway and high speed pulls where I could. LOVED IT! Then onto city traffic; stop-n-go, light to light. About 35 minutes of this to start, and about the last 45 minutes of it to return home. I decided to pop the hood and see something, I wanted to see how hot this Evolve kit got..I patted the blower.. Warm, but not hot. I could touch it, I could keep my hand on it- very surprised. Same thing with hot side side air ducting post blower/preintercooler- warm, but could be touched and grasped..

Air duct-post inter-cooler.. Im going to use the word cool. It wasn't cold by any means, we cannot defy logic and physics, but it was SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than the pre-side. Im not even going to put a number on it right now because i would be wrong, either over or under estimating. Ill get a laser temp guage and show you guys later just what I mean.

Plenum-Same thing! Nice and "cool"! The heat transfer on this kit is amazing. I'm shocked, I really am. Im pretty sure I've tested that theory on plenty of other kits, and all were significantly hotter, some slightly- (could be an A2A thing), some much more so... I know my previous was, that sucker was HOT, you couldn't touch anything on that after a trip, blower included, meth on or off, didn't matter. Granted, it was a non-inter-cooled kit, but that's really why I added meth- a chemical inter-cooler.

I think its safe to say, HEAT, is NOT an issue on the Evolve Supercharger kit, whether its high way pulls, or city traffic, your good- heat is not an issue. This is great news as I enter into another form of competition and use the M3 for what it was properly intended- On the track! (not dragstrip )

So, I used to be able to find plenty of good road to open up and test out the godlike S65 motor in full throttle and high RPM awesomeness. Not so anymore. I've found out that I have to be much more aware of how much room I have as the car is a rocket.

I will be showing just how FAST the car is in the following few weeks. I can dyno at any time, but since my shop uses a loaded dyno, I want the DynoJet numbers so you all can bicker and argue over comparable numbers Personally, I prefer the side-by-side comparisons much more, as that's what actually happens, and believe me when I say they are coming as well

Last edited by LostMarine; 07-03-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: grammar
LostMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
LostMarine

I dont get it..im not hip to the meme's

Last edited by LostMarine; 07-02-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Looks like a fun setup...evolve is killing it right now!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
folgrz
stop looking at me swan

My Ride: 06 AW ZCP
Nice LM!

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG_M3
folgrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
LostMarine

Yea, its pretty damn sick.. Im stoked about it! I would already have hours more video to show, but as some of you know, this rain in the north east is ridiculous right now.. some kinda record has to have been set...
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
Yea, its pretty damn sick.. Im stoked about it! I would already have hours more video to show, but as some of you know, this rain in the north east is ridiculous right now.. some kinda record has to have been set...
where do you live? im in PA and i know what you mean. its been rainy for the past 10-15 days and the forcast for the next 10 predict rain.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
LostMarine

South jersey. all i really care about is the 12th, and forecast for that looks GOOD! D.O.R. FTW!!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Irishace

My Ride: Dakar E36 M3
Nice LM, glad to see you stuck it out with the M. I am in the process of lining up plans for my old girl as well and I think Elvolve will be involved if I drop an S54 in it. Really like to hear your experience with Evolve.

Last edited by Irishace; 07-03-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Irishace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Irishace

My Ride: Dakar E36 M3
Ignore double post

Last edited by Irishace; 07-03-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Irishace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
MisterM

My Ride: 03 M3
Happy to hear an enthusiast bought the Evolve kit. We should see some time slips soon. Go break some hearts Steve.

Congrats.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Nicely done on the review! Looking forward to future videos and further impressions of the kit.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Congrats LM Looks Great
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
sticky still has the world's most powerful dct m3. DEAL WITH IT

all his douchebaggery aside, very thorough write up and i hope you enjoy your new toys. sounds like you'll have many smiles per gallon.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
LostMarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
sticky still has the world's most powerful dct m3. DEAL WITH IT

all his douchebaggery aside, very thorough write up and i hope you enjoy your new toys. sounds like you'll have many smiles per gallon.
HAHA!!

I love this car again so much, its just plain incredible!!

Thanks for the love guys, I cant wait to show you guys what this car can do now!

Last edited by LostMarine; 07-03-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
MisterM

My Ride: 03 M3
I smell some lovely timeslips showing up after Thanksgiving when the east coast D/A drops.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
LostMarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM View Post
I smell some lovely timeslips showing up after Thanksgiving when the east coast D/A drops.
you'll have plenty of side-side comparo's in the meantime to hold you off from D.O.R.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Excellent and thorough review my friend. If i had an E90 M3 like I wish i did it would have this kit installed on it

EVOLVE FTW
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
EndlessAP1

My Ride: e92 M3, e70 X5, TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
where do you live? im in PA and i know what you mean. its been rainy for the past 10-15 days and the forcast for the next 10 predict rain.
No rain and I am up the coast from you. We had a few days but not a cloud in the sky. All weather reports have been wrong, at least here.

OP.. The E9X M3 is acceptable in OEM trim. HP is fine and so is the TQ. I have been modifying cars since 1991.

If you want to talk about no torque, look at the Honda S2000 and Acura NSX. Both cars are dog slow and I am a former owner of 2 modified NSX's and modified S2000.

Last edited by EndlessAP1; 07-03-2013 at 02:25 PM.
EndlessAP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
LostMarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAP1 View Post
No rain and I am up the coast from you. We had a few days but not a cloud in the sky. All weather reports have been wrong, at least here.

OP.. The E9X M3 is acceptable in OEM trim. HP is fine and so is the TQ. I have been modifying cars since 1991.

If you want to talk about no torque, look at the Honda S2000 and Acura NSX. Both cars are dog slow and I am a former owner of 2 modified NSX's and modified S2000.
lol, come drive my car one day and tell me you wouldnt rather have it this way

Like I said, if you havent driven multiple variants of the E9x, at different power levels and delivery methods... well.. how accurate is your assessment?

and S2k's are sick when boosted as well, you should have kept it