E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I think the new ones are 4 bangers, the 5 cylinder model burned just as much if not more than the silverado, so everyone just bought the silverados.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
bloodredbimmer

My Ride: 01 330Ci 5MT
Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon

I'll see if I can get a chance to drive one of the 4 bangers to see how the engine feels. I looked up some frontiers and I think they're kind of ugly, just my personal taste. I'm starting to look at full size trucks such as f150's and 1500's.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #23
Big Geek

My Ride: 2001 325i
If you go f150 avoid 06-09, bad MPG and the triton motor where the plugs break off in the heads.
Big Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Geek View Post
If you go f150 avoid 06-09, bad MPG and the triton motor where the plugs break off in the heads.

the plugs get cross threaded? even installed correctly?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
TopasE46

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Re: Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post

the plugs get cross threaded? even installed correctly?
No, they're sleeved plugs. The old ones were two piece, and the lower sleeve broke off in the head. Takes about a half hour or so per plug to get them out. Aftermarket or updated plugs seldom have this issue.

The 4.6L or 5.4 2v do not have this problem.

FWIW, my brother in law tows a 28 foot airstream travel trailer with a 2008 F-150 with a 4.6 and 35" tires with no problems....

Last edited by TopasE46; 07-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
TopasE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Fatrusty

My Ride: '04 325i
I had a 2005 4x4 crew cab and got 20-21 MPG consistantly. I had 165k miles with not many problems. If you get the I-5 3.5 motor make sure you have done the head recall. There is an issue with the heads on them. It was a good truck and I liked it. I traded it for a new Silverado, lots more power and room.. but the milage is 16-17 MPG sucks!
Check www.355nation.net It is a good forum for the Colorados..

...redmond with a M-3 on this site had one too!
Fatrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #27
TopasE46

If you want brand new, a base model f150 can be had for around 21-25k. Depending on options.

If money isn't an issue, get the f150 with the twin turbo eco boost v6. Tons of power, good milage. My buddy just bought a platinum (highest option package, it has heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel) for 50k. You can get them a LOT cheaper than that though.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
bloodredbimmer

If I had the money I would buy an f150 brand new, considering I just got out of high school that's not going to happen haha. I'm looking at the 06-09 models, and I want 4 door 4x4. Maybe if I can convince my dad to consign I can broaden up my options as far as newer models. So far I'm my options are Colorado, F150, Silverado (which I would have to compromise the 4 door option), or a Jeep Wrangler.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopasE46 View Post
If you want brand new, a base model f150 can be had for around 21-25k. Depending on options.

If money isn't an issue, get the f150 with the twin turbo eco boost v6. Tons of power, good milage. My buddy just bought a platinum (highest option package, it has heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel) for 50k. You can get them a LOT cheaper than that though.

To hell with that eco boost. Not worth the price premium. I'd take the v8 any day over the eco boost gimmick.

OP, get a cummins and call it a day.

Last edited by 5ynd1cat3; 07-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.
5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #30
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
they are garbage. poor fuel economy and no power.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #31
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I had an '04 with the I5 for about a year then sold it to my mother who drove it daily for several more years. We owned it from '07 to '10 or '11 and only had to replace a wheel bearing due to a faulty wheel speed sensor. The truck had 80,000 miles (we put on 60k) on it when she traded it and never put brakes on the thing. Put plugs, fuel filter, air filter, and tires on it. It was a 4wd crew cab (not Z71) and I loved the thing.
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #32
TopasE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
To hell with that eco boost. Not worth the price premium. I'd take the v8 any day over the eco boost gimmick.

OP, get a cummins and call it a day.

Have you actually driven it and compared it to the 5.0/6.2? It may not have the growl or as much of the throw-you-back-in-the-seat torque off the line, but a FLAT torque curve and better mpg than either v8 is hard to argue with.

Op, the 4.6/5.4 f150 can be had reasonably priced and they are reliable. From the sounds of it you don't need the added cost of maintenance/ fuel of a diesel, and don't rely need a long bed 3/4 ton truck.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #33
bloodredbimmer

Like I said before, my dad already has a 6.4 powerstroke so I don't need a big truck. I would love to get a diesel but I've seen first hand how expensive it can get, especially when you want to mod. I really like the f150's but for some reason I feel like a Tacoma is what fits my needs perfectly. Not too small not too big, reliable as hell, nice looking, and not too bad on gas. I just wish they weren't so expensive. I like the Colorado because it's pretty much the tacomas equivalence in terms of size. I think ford rangers and s10's are too small. My dad has an 2000 s10 5 spd 4 banger and I always feel tiny and torque-less.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #34
SHOoff11

My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
You can tell that they mean business because they left out the "E" in "Extreme." It's fun because that's not normally how you spell it.
Back when I totaled my first car, I was looking for something as a cheap replacement, so my uncle who worked at the Dodge dealer told me he had a "nice" '01 Blazer Xtreme...that thing was an Xtreme p.o.s. It had 111k and they wanted $6,500 firm for it. I laughed and left.

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black
1983 BMW 733i 5MT Schwarz/Cardinal

Sold: 1999 328i sedan Alpine White/Sand
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #35
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
f-650

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #36
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopasE46 View Post
Have you actually driven it and compared it to the 5.0/6.2? It may not have the growl or as much of the throw-you-back-in-the-seat torque off the line, but a FLAT torque curve and better mpg than either v8 is hard to argue with.

Op, the 4.6/5.4 f150 can be had reasonably priced and they are reliable. From the sounds of it you don't need the added cost of maintenance/ fuel of a diesel, and don't rely need a long bed 3/4 ton truck.

Yeah, I've driven it. Nice truck. Only problem is that I have a close friend whose dad works for Ford R&D. Word on the street is that those turbos are only meant to last around 80k miles and that factory replacements will run about 5k. So much for all that money saved with the fuel economy. It's akin to the Prius craze. Yeah 50mpg is great until you need to drop the coin to replace the batteries. It's a wash.

Op, get what you feel comfortable with. I'm not a big fan of gassers, I'd much prefer a diesel. But if your dad already has a Powerchoke, a Frontier or Tacoma would be a great option. You'll pay a higher price, but there is good reason why a Colorado costs what it costs.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
bloodredbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Yeah, I've driven it. Nice truck. Only problem is that I have a close friend whose dad works for Ford R&D. Word on the street is that those turbos are only meant to last around 80k miles and that factory replacements will run about 5k. So much for all that money saved with the fuel economy. It's akin to the Prius craze. Yeah 50mpg is great until you need to drop the coin to replace the batteries. It's a wash.

Op, get what you feel comfortable with. I'm not a big fan of gassers, I'd much prefer a diesel. But if your dad already has a Powerchoke, a Frontier or Tacoma would be a great option. You'll pay a higher price, but there is good reason why a Colorado costs what it costs.
Great points man. I'd prefer a diesel too but right now I don't have the money to say replace a blown turbo or something, I've seen first hand how expensive repairs get. As for the eco boost id rather get a diesel. Im probably going to end up in a tacoma, its just going to take a little time to save up some cash for a 2005+ 4x4 double cab. lol @ powerchoke are you a cummins or duramax guy?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #38
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodredbimmer View Post
Great points man. I'd prefer a diesel too but right now I don't have the money to say replace a blown turbo or something, I've seen first hand how expensive repairs get. As for the eco boost id rather get a diesel. Im probably going to end up in a tacoma, its just going to take a little time to save up some cash for a 2005+ 4x4 double cab. lol @ powerchoke are you a cummins or duramax guy?

I'm a Cummins dude. If you want a diesel (and there is no reason why you shouldn't!!), just get a 12v. Easy to work on, fairly inexpensive, and plenty of power for whatever you need it for. I've been a fan of the 2nd gen 2500s since they came out. Do the killer dowel pin fix ($60 and a couple hours of your time), and you're pretty much golden. I'd stay away from the 24v due to the block casting issue.

You're spot on when it comes to modding though. It can get awfully pricey awfully fast.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #39
bloodredbimmer

My brother loves the 12v cummins, he already know that's what he wants his first truck to be. I would love to have a diesel, hopefully in the future I can own one for myself. For now my dads F250 with AFE intake, exhaust, and custom tune is enough. He lets me drive it whenever he's not going to use it. I just feel for my needs a smaller truck fits my needs a little better. That's why I'd rather get a Tacoma than lets say an f150. Some spots I go shooting/ off roading are a little tight haha

Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #40
5ynd1cat3

Well hell, then rock on brother. You know what you want/need...now go out and get it! Best of luck in your search!