E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
jfields44r

My Ride: 2002 325i
FX-R 3.0 package came in today

So my complete retrofit kit arrived today from TRS. Everything looks real solid. Shipping only took three days from Atlanta to Nashville. Only thing I'm concerned about is wiring the whole thing up. I've never done much wiring so this will be a great stepping stone but if anyone has some diagrams or knows of a writeup about wiring these projectors up, just comment below cuz I'd really appreciate it. All I'm waiting on is some other lighting components I bought through Khoalty to come in the mail. Ordered new headlight lens cover, clear corners and side markers and a new grill. Hoping the quality is good on those products. Cant wait to put it all together next weekend. Hope everyone had an awesome 4th last night and has good weekend!
jfields44r is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Trust me, wiring is the easy part. Cutting and fitting is the hard part. I never want to do another retrofit after I did mine. Mine came out okay but stress level was through the roof!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Wiring was the easy part for me too. The cutting and fitting is custom work, I didn't think it was easy, but not hard. Make sure you properly secure the shroud (double sided tape failed for me after a week, high heat resistant epoxy didn't). Looking back I probably could of fit double sided tape in a better way.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
jfields44r

Yeah, I'll be sure to take the cutting process slow and steady. Did y'all use screws to mount the projector on the housing and then some type of sealant to seal the back?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
I have the Morimoto mini H1 which doesn't need screws because it fits the stock halogen bulb hole. I did use high heat silicon sealant to seal the back.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
For people with ZKW headlights, the TRS' retroquik setup is probably perfect. The included Evo-X projectors aren't quite as good as the FX-Rs, but they're still quite stout, especially the high beams. $150 for an essentially plug and play solution is pretty good IMO

Last time I attempted a retrofit the old fashioned way, I failed miserably. Rotation and vertical alignment are damn near impossible to get perfect.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-06-2013 at 09:40 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Man, wish that was out when I did mine. I would have gladly paid more and gotten "worse" lenses to have a plug and play retrofit.

The most frustrating bit about mine was the first lense I did I cut wrong and ended up cutting out the bracing that the projector needed to but up against. I had to glue it back in. I was able to get rotational alignment damn near perfect on both, but then came the shrouds. The chrome literally rubbed off the shrouds when I cleaned them so I had to go pick up chrome spray paint and paint them, let them dry then epoxy them in. The end result looks fines, but it drives me nuts knowing that the housing is hacked up in there. Would have much rather just screwed in new projectors with no cutting or modification needed.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
jfields44r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Man, wish that was out when I did mine. I would have gladly paid more and gotten "worse" lenses to have a plug and play retrofit.

The most frustrating bit about mine was the first lense I did I cut wrong and ended up cutting out the bracing that the projector needed to but up against. I had to glue it back in. I was able to get rotational alignment damn near perfect on both, but then came the shrouds. The chrome literally rubbed off the shrouds when I cleaned them so I had to go pick up chrome spray paint and paint them, let them dry then epoxy them in. The end result looks fines, but it drives me nuts knowing that the housing is hacked up in there. Would have much rather just screwed in new projectors with no cutting or modification needed.
Yeah, I considered getting the Mini H1's but I just wanted to go all out I guess. And yes, the alignment part has me a little worried as well. Im sure it will go smooth as long as I take it nice and slow. I'm running Osram CBI 5000k d2s in those projectors as well when its finished.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Chrsb5

My Ride: 2004 330i
FX-R 3.0 package came in today

The clear side markers, corners and grille (LED tails too) I bought from Khoalty are holding up well after 2+ years. GL with your fx r retrofit, I wasn't brave enough to DIY mine

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Chrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
jfields44r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrsb5 View Post
The clear side markers, corners and grille (LED tails too) I bought from Khoalty are holding up well after 2+ years. GL with your fx r retrofit, I wasn't brave enough to DIY mine

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks man, I hope it all goes smooth. I'm ready to light up the roads.