E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
bumere46

My Ride: E92
OP, I am selling a ZHP DME + KEY+ EWS + locks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-ZHP-...5af2c8&vxp=mtr
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #22
xps

My Ride: 05 325ci w/ zhp eng
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere46 View Post
OP, I am selling a ZHP DME + KEY+ EWS + locks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-ZHP-...5af2c8&vxp=mtr
Thanks but I wont be requiring it! I just have to do a 30 min software flash with a $40 cable to make my car alright. No way I am spending $600 and then putting hrs of labour changing everything! and later have different VIN on chassis and DME!

GLS!
xps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Unless you have newer BMWs in addition to your 325, a $10 VAG 409.1 cable should be fine. Available via amazon prime too
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
xps

@zell and @terra thank you for the motivation and help! I sucessfully flashed my 325ci with ZHP engine to ZHP software!!

I started the car with old software the throttle body went crazy! it started making huge smahing noise and cats started glowing red! I turned off the car and brought my laptop to reflash the correct software.

Winkfp connected like a charm. went ahead to flash I got an Error 701-error on determining HW compatible numbers something of that sort. then I had go delete some big lines in the GDATEN\Sgidc.as2 file.

Then started to reflash again, this time it started flashing, went steady till 88% and then i got connection disrupted error! my balls came to my mouth and I thought thats the end of my DME. I tried to see ECU status on Winkfp it worked, I rechecked the charger, then I tried to reflash it displays ECU not responsing! And I was like!

I almost gave up and was getting thoughts for calling a junk yard for a DME. just while searching for a junkyard on my phone I went to the trunk and disconnected/reconnected the battery then went back to the computer to check, I press program button it started again and with my fingers crossed I left the laptop there and went to see if actually there are any voltage fluctuations. I waited patiently the voltage was 14.05 volts and after 4 mins it said programming ok!

I started the car the car goes ZOOM ZOOM! awesome! proud feeling for the day

Last edited by xps; 07-13-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #25
xps

ZHP engine sure has more torque but I dont see much difference over my 325ci. May be I was expecting too much! Drove few miles! The engine has more grunt, but I am not sure it that should be like that considering the same exahust setup I had for 325 engine. Also I will always have a doubt if the engine I bougth is actually a ZHP engine instead of a 330. Idle is smooth but not dead steady! i feel +-5rpm while idling! Is that normal? if not what could be the reason?

And how do I really feel the extra bhp and torque! what kind of driving wold make me realize the difference?

Last edited by xps; 07-13-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #26
TerraPhantm

You should feel an extra 50hp pretty easily.

Try accelerating from like 70-100 -- a ZHP should do that more easily than a 325. I remember mine got to 150 pretty easily (of course not quite as quickly as the M3..). Also just try generally cruising around in a higher gear, you should find that it'll still be willing to accelerate. Just keep driving around, and then maybe try driving another 325 if you have access to one. The difference should become apparent then.

Just to be sure, you do have the 330/ZHP intake, right?

IIRC the 330 and ZHP idled a little more roughly than the 325s. Longer stroke and more aggressive cams tend to do that
Old 07-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #27
xps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
You should feel an extra 50hp pretty easily.

Try accelerating from like 70-100 -- a ZHP should do that more easily than a 325. I remember mine got to 150 pretty easily (of course not quite as quickly as the M3..). Also just try generally cruising around in a higher gear, you should find that it'll still be willing to accelerate. Just keep driving around, and then maybe try driving another 325 if you have access to one. The difference should become apparent then.

Just to be sure, you do have the 330/ZHP intake, right?

IIRC the 330 and ZHP idled a little more roughly than the 325s. Longer stroke and more aggressive cams tend to do that
Yes the whole intake is ZHP stock, manifold, throttle body, DISA etc which i got along with the engine, well ok letme try few more days with the car may be I will realize the power difference!
Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #28
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Congrats on knocking this out, OP. Pretty quick turnaround to get yourself setup - enjoy the additional kick!
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
xps

Re: 325ci ECU with ZHP engine

thanks, ya I was lucky that things worked by following as per the instructions.

@terra: hands down it is fast. On some ramps I take,on my 325 by the time I merge into the highway I would reach 75mph.. today I was doing almost 100 ! Awesome feeling.. engine sounds good.. I am not sure if it has to be any different.

However I feel drag or say the engine braking more evident when I lift off the accel, is that normal?

Do I require to clear adaptations?
Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app

Old 07-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #30
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
I'd clear the adaptations for sure. Wouldn't hurt.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #31
xps

Zell@ ShoulD I clear all the adaptation values?

like in this screen
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=946604
Old 07-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Be sure that if you clear all adaptations, that you let the car sit there for about 30 seconds with the ignition on, and engine NOT running.

This is because you will clear the throttle adaptations, and you need it to re-calibrate itself, otherwise you'll have this crazy idle. (Which, could have been your issue with the 325 software)

The other thing is that 330 & ZHP software are the same. This worked because there were 330 versions with the MS43 DME, whereas all ZHPs were MS45 DME, which is a different architecutre and would not have flashed successfully.

-Matt
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #33
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
Zell@ ShoulD I clear all the adaptation values?

like in this screen
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=946604
Yes, you can. Honestly since it's a different engine, you really should.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #34
TerraPhantm

Quote:
thanks, ya I was lucky that things worked by following as per the instructions.

@terra: hands down it is fast. On some ramps I take,on my 325 by the time I merge into the highway I would reach 75mph.. today I was doing almost 100 ! Awesome feeling.. engine sounds good.. I am not sure if it has to be any different.

However I feel drag or say the engine braking more evident when I lift off the accel, is that normal?

Do I require to clear adaptations?
I think increased engine braking is expected with increased displacement. During engine braking, the engine is trying to draw air, but prevented by the closed throttle body. The 3 liter obviously tries to draw more air than the 2.5

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-13-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #35
xps

Ok I did the adaptation reset .. got dcs light on.. drove abit got the ses light on. turned off turned on the ignition.. started the car.. only ses light on now..

opened inpa again checked for errors, there were more than or equal to 6 errors.. all in german didn't care to find out what they were, cleared them and drove again it's all fine now..

but did I feel any difference? Not really :p

Last edited by xps; 07-13-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Yeah, that's what happens when you remove all adaptations.

It should be good to go now. You did the right thing.

-Matt
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #37
Qik-BMW

My Ride: 04 3.0 Transplant
You should feel a huge difference. I did the swap to mine. I had to put sticky tires on mine due to all the extra wheel spin. I had AA tune my DME to 330 software. That is when the difference kicked in for my 3.0.
Qik-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #38
xps

Well 500 odd bucks for the AA software update is like robbery.. I am tempted to try but I can't forgive myself if it turns out to be not worth the price.

But you said wheel spin?? Man now that's tempting me more!!

To be honest I feel the Initial throttle response could be much better!

Last edited by xps; 07-13-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #39
TerraPhantm

Quote:

That was one of my biggest issues with the ZHP. Was the 325 software better in that regard?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #40
Qik-BMW

My Ride: 04 3.0 Transplant
Quote:
Well 500 odd bucks for the AA software update is like robbery.. I am tempted to try but I can't forgive myself if it turns out to be not worth the price.

But you said wheel spin?? Man now that's tempting me more!!

Yeah, but you will get a performance tune As well with it and the 7k redline for manual trans. $399
Qik-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecu tune for swap, money shift, transmission, zhp ecu