E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Thumbs Up Another DUI checkpoint video (4 July 2013).

ahh yeah boys, let the games begin!!

http://wtvr.com/2013/07/05/dui-checkpoint-video/
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
pigs, hate when they act like a.holes, but this kid surely pissed this guy off.. lol

i dont understand these videos, looking for trouble and wanting to prove a point. Its like picking on a bully, when your a tiny scrawny mofo.
try this she.it in a third world country and youll be butt raped by 3 in the morning.

just sayin.

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP

Last edited by nojoda; 07-05-2013 at 07:38 PM.
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
Unbelievable! Sheeple slowly give their rights away for the perception of safety... Completely unlawful search and detention.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 07-05-2013 at 07:43 PM.
CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
had he just rolled down the window in the first place im 99% sure this is how the conversation would have went:

officer: how you doin tonight?
kid: alright officer, how are you?
officer: alright. have you had anything to drink tonight?
kid: no sir.
(officer quickly examines to see if the kid is showing signs of impairment)
officer: alright, you have a safe night

the kid made more hassle for himself than it was worth IMO. and yes, the cops were wrong, it doesn't make the kid right.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 07-05-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
LOL dude in a car is a prick. What's the point of getting in a tussle with an officer just for sh*ts and gigs? Pointless

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Sentaruu

it's like the morons who open carry "to prove a point". cut the ****.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
If it were me I would've of course rolled the window all the way down, but the officer had no right to ignore the law like that. He went way out of bounds. It doesn't matter if you don't roll the window all the way down, an officer cannot and should not go beyond the law in that way. He can be as suspicious as he wants, but it has to be within the law.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
CRZY BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
had he just rolled down the window in the first place im 99% sure this is how the conversation would have went:

officer: how you doin tonight?
kid: alright officer, how are you?
officer: alright. have you had anything to drink tonight?
kid: no sir.
(officer quickly examines to see if the kid is showing signs of impairment)
officer: alright, you have a safe night

the kid made more hassle for himself than it was worth IMO. and yes, the cops were wrong, it doesn't make the kid right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
LOL dude in a car is a prick. What's the point of getting in a tussle with an officer just for sh*ts and gigs? Pointless

Maybe next we can have house inspections... Police can go door to door, detain you for an hour while they search for drugs. After all, its for the good of public safety. As long as you're not breaking the law you shouldnt have a problem with it.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post

Maybe next we can have house inspections... Police can go door to door, detain you for an hour while they search for drugs. After all, its for the good of public safety. As long as you're not breaking the law you shouldnt have a problem with it.
A LEO coming into my house to search does not equate to a LEO looking, from the outside, into my car to see if I'm hammered.

Keep throwing that sheeple comment around, it makes me

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:

Lol where do you live, so I can come give you 2 extra palms for an epic facepalm. The situations aren't even remotely the same

2 easy 2 make hp turbos

Last edited by Fergo; 07-05-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Sentaruu

Quote:

yeah, because that is exactly what we're saying.

choosing to roll the window down and talking to the cop like a normal human being is a little different than being forcibly detained in your own home for no reason.

the cops who did this were out of line and I do not agree with their choices, but the kid made a big deal out of nothing. if you cannot see that, you are probably the kid in this video.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 07-05-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
CRZY BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Great original post! I've always operated under the belief that the police control the situation, and the place to fight them is in court. Police must consider each situation like this as potentially life threatening. Put yourself in their position. Granted, a lot of them abuse this position of power.

When pulled over, I follow instructions. It was pretty slick to record this situation.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Assuming you follow directions... Maybe the cop decides you look suspicious and detains you for awhile. Submits you to a battery of tests that can take up to an hour. Finds nothing and lets you go. Lets say this goes on every weekend in your town between your job and your house.

What are you going to take them to court for? When is enough enough? Where do you draw the line?

This just leads to sloppy police work and deterioration of our rights.

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 07-05-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
Sure, the kid probably could have made life easier on himself, but that doesn't excuse the conduct of the officers involved.

On a side note, I personally know a K9 cop and he confirmed the dog scratching thing. I'm not saying that its specifically for the purpose of giving them the ability to 'search without consent', but they do have different commands they use to make the dog spend more time sniffing/scratching one area.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
CRZY BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
A LEO coming into my house to search does not equate to a LEO looking, from the outside, into my car to see if I'm hammered.

Keep throwing that sheeple comment around, it makes me
Where in the video does this officer even question the drivers sobriety? Im post certified as a DRE... And speaking from experience I can tell you that you dont need more than an inch to identify signs of intoxification which gives you PC to detain the person.

Its clear the officer was upset by his response and got emotional. That is no reason for him to violate the drivers rights. The proper response would have been to continue your line of questioning and look for signs to determine if the driver was intoxicated. If not, send him on his way...

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 07-05-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
Sentaruu

Quote:
Where in the video does this officer even question the drivers sobriety? Im post certified as a DRE... And speaking from experience I can tell you that you dont need more than an inch to identify signs of intoxification which gives you PC to detain the person.

Its clear the officer was upset by his response and got emotional. That is no reason for him to violate the drivers rights. The proper response would have been to continue your line of questioning and look for signs to determine if the driver was intoxicated. If not, send him on his way...
no one is arguing that the cops weren't wrong in this situation... I am not sure that you understand that.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 07-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:

No one is doubting that the LEO's actions were incorrect, but as someone else said, that doesn't make what the driver did correct.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
No one is doubting that the LEO's actions were incorrect, but as someone else said, that doesn't make what the driver did correct.
What the driver did was entirely okay, and is perfectly legal to do; however, the officer should not have stepped above the law like that.

Rolling down the window only half-way is totally legal - but it's suspicious. The officer, if feeling suspicious, should have done what he could within the realm of the law to be more alert and try and verify his suspicions, but should never have crossed the line.

Was it a smart thing for the driver to do? No, because let's be honest, if you're rolling down the window a tiny bit, you're one of two people:

1. You're trying to prove a point
2. You've got illegal stuff

You're going to be less likely to be caught with illegal stuff if you just act like you don't have anything illegal. If an officer starts bullying you, then it's time to bang out the constitutional rights.

The officer more than likely would not have bullied him if he just rolled the window all the way down. Not legally necessary to do, but that's the reality that we live in. People are going to be corrupt. If you happen to be involved with a corrupt cop, the cop is going to be corrupt no matter what you do, so be nice, roll your window all the way down, and if he starts bullying you, flex your rights. Simple as that.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Sentaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
What the driver did was entirely okay, and is perfectly legal to do; however, the officer should not have stepped above the law like that.

Rolling down the window only half-way is totally legal - but it's suspicious. The officer, if feeling suspicious, should have done what he could within the realm of the law to be more alert and try and verify his suspicions, but should never have crossed the line.

Was it a smart thing for the driver to do? No, because let's be honest, if you're rolling down the window a tiny bit, you're one of two people:

1. You're trying to prove a point
2. You've got illegal stuff

You're going to be less likely to be caught with illegal stuff if you just act like you don't have anything illegal. If an officer starts bullying you, then it's time to bang out the constitutional rights.

The officer more than likely would not have bullied him if he just rolled the window all the way down. Not legally necessary to do, but that's the reality that we live in. People are going to be corrupt. If you happen to be involved with a corrupt cop, the cop is going to be corrupt no matter what you do, so be nice, roll your window all the way down, and if he starts bullying you, flex your rights. Simple as that.
see? you get what we're saying.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
CRZY BMW

Quote:
Absolutely it does. Checkpoints have gone back and forth in the courts. Instances like these set precident and case law.

Im all for taking drunk drivers off the road, but not at the expense of violating or traipsing on peoples civil rights.

Thats the difference between people like you and people like me... The ends justify the means to you.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Sentaruu

Quote:
Thats the difference between people like you and people like me... The ends justify the means to you.
what the hell are you talking about? he said the cops were wrong to do what they did.. he is agreeing with you...what part of that do you not get?

Last edited by Sentaruu; 07-05-2013 at 09:05 PM.