E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Joeysauce

My Ride: E46 330ci
Need help with my M6 rep rims....

Ok, so I am debating changing my wheels to Flat Black. The reason being, is I have had this look for over 5 years and am just getting bored, and also one of the wheels is bent pretty bad and to have it repaired, they have to heat it up, and most likely will damage the finish with scorch marks. So, I can either just live with how it is, and keep this look with a bent rim, or, have it repaired and then paint them Flat Black, which I am really starting to like the look of as long as the car's paint is gloss black.
What do you guys think? Opinions are welcome, but I would love photos of some black coupes with Flat Black wheels. I have only been able to find a few, not enough to make a good decision since once " I go black, I can't go back" .

Also, if anyone is good with photo shop, it would be amazing if you could make these wheels look Flat Black on my car so I can see. THANK YOU!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mycar.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	514936  

2001 330CI
MODS: H&R sport springs, 19" staggard M6 wheels, halo's, Cosmo CAI, Rouge IKON exhaust, M3 rep front bumper, Hamann side skirts, ACS rear add-on, M3 rear deck spoiler, clear signals, 6000k xenon and matching fogs, Meyle HD FCA/FCB, 20% window tint, LED rear tail lights.

-Un-decided possible Mods-

Matt-black kidney grills.

Last edited by Joeysauce; 07-06-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Joeysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i

But the silver looks soooo good
Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Usually M6 reps look like ass IMO but you pull them off really well. Don't ruin them

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Joeysauce

Yeah I like the look too, but IDK. You know when I see pictures of other e46 with these wheels, they usually ALWAYS look like crap. But, they only made these light silver/ grey color for a very limited time, they had to switch the hub color to a dark gray shortly after these since BMW had a fit.
I've figured it out though, the car HAS to have a body kit, has to be lowered, and HAS to be a coupe. Dark colors like black, dark blue, red, and white can pull them off. GRAY cars, or sedans cannot pull off these wheels no matter what.

The thing is the bent wheel looks like ****, I mean when the weather is cold, it will actually leak air, so it's barely able to hold a bead. I just have a crazy feeling these in flat back would look sick. My paint is a Dark metallic black cherry pearl. You can't tell from the photo since it's cloudy here, but I think it would pop. IDK

2001 330CI
MODS: H&R sport springs, 19" staggard M6 wheels, halo's, Cosmo CAI, Rouge IKON exhaust, M3 rep front bumper, Hamann side skirts, ACS rear add-on, M3 rear deck spoiler, clear signals, 6000k xenon and matching fogs, Meyle HD FCA/FCB, 20% window tint, LED rear tail lights.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i

So instead of repair and paint, why not just buy one new wheel?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Don't do flat black, I tried it and looked like crap. Not that the gold I have now is much better but that's how I got them and they will be refinished soon.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
yea i wouldn't do them in blackm personally i don't like black on black. Needs some contrast. Im getting ready to get rid of my black wheels, and get some ARC-8's in silver
Old 07-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Joeysauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
So instead of repair and paint, why not just buy one new wheel?
They actually don't make these wheels in this exact color or offset. They called it Hyper Silver, 9.5 wide, and with a 38mm offset. I've looked all over, they all come in that dark gray color now.

What has me thinking of doing this, is this picture of this car.. I love the way it looks with the flat black wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	514963  

2001 330CI

Old 07-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Efekkt

My Ride: 02 330ci
I agree with the others, black on black is too much in this case and most cases. Your car looks great with the contrast.
Efekkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Teraxx

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I really like your wheels, definitely not boring! I'd say stick with it and get the damaged one refinished/straightened (they won't ruin it if you go to a reputable shop and it's a reasonable cost).
Teraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
m0nk3yb0n3

My Ride: 2002 Grey 330i
Have you considered powder coating them? Shiny black rims on a shiny black car. I've priced powder coating in the area I live and it was about $350 for all five rims.

Last edited by m0nk3yb0n3; 07-06-2013 at 07:52 PM.
m0nk3yb0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
trivium630

My Ride: 2003 325i

yea leave em, looks good

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
trivium630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Joeysauce

Ok, I think I am going to leave it the way it is lol. I think you guys are right, the contrast is good. I'm going to look into a different shop that might give it a shot and rolling the bend out without ruining the finish.

2001 330CI