E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
I couldn't sum it up any better than Mango did....good job! What he posted pretty much sums up why I love the E46 platform over any other car out there...
+1
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #22
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
I chose the E46 because at the time it was the current shape and I liked my 330 so sold it and got the M3. Don't really drive it anymore but I still love everything about it and would never sell it.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #23
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
I still like the car,, just hate crap engineering..
My point is with material technology BMW should be able to make a very low maintenance car that at least makes 100K on "average"... They used to build aircraft they should get this concept...

Kind of like a MG I owned many years ago, Totally fun to drive, spent more time in the shop than on the road, loved it when it was running LOL

My 330xi is fun to drive,, only car I've owned that was faster, stopped better and handled better was my 69 911S, which I never worked on except for a clutch that was totally my fault not Porsche.. actually cost less to own than a Toyota Pickup that I had....

I vehemently agree and yet disagree about the E46 quality...

Dave
All things are built to a budget. Unfortunately, BMW can't build cars on the Department of Defense's budget. BMW competes with several other makes and sells to a particular market at a particular price point. It's a business. Profit is the name of the game. Everything can't be made of gold. You use money here and take away money there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
Mango, how can you make a statement like that when you prematurely replace parts before letting them run their course? You can't compare the BMW to anything you owned because from my understanding your are the preventative maintenance guru that doesn't allow cars to even get a chance to breakdown.
Letting parts run their course is not in my vocabulary. Spend $3,000 on top of the purchase price of a used E46 and you'll have a rock solid experience. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a lot of money for a responsible adult owning a once-$45,000 German car.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
All things are built to a budget. Unfortunately, BMW can't build cars on the Department of Defense's budget. BMW competes with several other makes and sells to a particular market at a particular price point. It's a business. Profit is the name of the game. Everything can't be made of gold. You use money here and take away money there.

Letting parts run their course is not in my vocabulary. Spend $3,000 on top of the purchase price of a used E46 and you'll have a rock solid experience. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a lot of money for a responsible adult owning a once-$45,000 German car.
So you really can't say that BMW makes the most reliable cars on the planet because you have no way of comparing unless you decide to use dollar figures and we all know BMW parts are not cheap, so most likely BMW will lose that comparison most of the time as well. I have purchased 97/98 Mustang Cobras and a 93/00 Ford Lightnings with over 100K miles on them that have never required $3000 on top of purchase price for a solid experience.

Last edited by 2003silver330i; 07-10-2013 at 12:11 AM.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #25
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I don't believe its a defense level budget to use Aluminum instead of plastic for a radiator.
I can buy a hand welded over sized tube custom radiator for < 1/2 what BMW wants for their factory radiator.
Every other car manufacturer can make a window lift that lasts longer..
BMW is the first marque that I've ever seen with such a long lasting petty problem. Any of them can make a dud,, but... this is a 30 year problem for them..

BMW also uses really cheap rubber.. But thats a german car thing not unique to them.. Audi, Porsche, same issues with seals and hoses.

As far as reliability.. Yep they make a damn good engine.. As long as a half a dozen 2 dollar parts don't fail.. Bwahhahahahaha

I admit, my E36 was so freeking flawlwess for problems, I got sucked into a E46 before I had the whole story on reliability.

Its a definitely personnel opinion, is 3000 dollars in maintenance on a 80K mile car a legitimate expense/expectation?

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #26
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
I just wanted a RWD and larger than a 2.0 engine! I found my E46 on eBay and my brother recognised the street it was parked on. Went and had a look and really liked it, next day I went to see, paid the £850 and she was mine. Glad I lucked out on such a great car treat to drive so I kept my Peugeot as my DD.
David McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #27
littlegti

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Send a message via Skype™ to littlegti
I bought my E46 because I test drove it...and because my son thought it was very cool.

For me it's all about the ride.
littlegti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #28
Fullraph

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
I wanted something different! Something we don't see everyday. I wanted to do different than all these people my age who drive civic and corolla's. I always tought german car were better, more beautiful and they got a little something other car don't have. I wanted a RWD car with a descent engine. My dad had a couple of Audi, a mercedes and curently an 07 passat, my mom got an audi a4 and my bro, a jetta so we've been german car owner for a long time. Even though it's 13 years old, the E46 is loaded with luxury you don't get in most cars these days, it feel solid and damn is it ever good looking!

Last edited by Fullraph; 07-10-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Fullraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #29
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
I chose my car mostly on how it looked and drove. A bone stock, alpine white, E46 sedan with sport package on style 44 was a nice looking car back in the day and still is!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #30
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegti View Post
I bought my E46 because I test drove it...and because my son thought it was very cool.

For me it's all about the ride.
When I test drove it I was very nervous, thinking the 2.8 would send me over the next kerb if I put my foot down!

I was so chicken I got my brother to drive it home as he had already driven the car earlier that day.

Last edited by David McMahon; 07-10-2013 at 12:45 AM.
David McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #31
silverbullet3

My Ride: 06vert
Why Did You Choose an E46?

Wow what a great thread. I test drove a 325 brand new e46 coupe back in 2000. I vowed to own one as I couldn't afford at the time. Since then I have owned the flowing.

1. 1992 325 e36 sedan
2. 2000 528 e39 sedan
3. 2000 m5 e39
4. 2003 330xi e46 sedan

And finally my 2006 e46 vert , 13 years later I have my 2 door e46 and I truly love it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
silverbullet3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #32
copescobra

My Ride: 2002 tii
After selling my 2003 Porsche Carrera I decided I wanted to find a little sports car for 50% of the price I sold mine for.
Have a type R and wanted something slightly heavier and more HP which the M3 has. Plus wanted a VERT so there you go it was a
match made in heaven.

As far as the mechanical perspective that posts seem to be addressing....

The PO bought my car from a dealership and bought a killer after market warranty with it. When I had the PPI done it revealed $3000 of warranty work needed. I agreed to buy the car if the warranty fixed all the issues present and it did. My hope is that anything else that goes wrong will be covered
by the warranty for the remainder of the warranty. Then depending on how it goes will either keep it or sell it for a 2006 Coupe or E36 completely redone.
Really like the way the M3 drives.
1968 Shelby 350
2000 Integra Type-R
2000 Sportsmobile
copescobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #33
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Why Did You Choose an E46?

When I was a little kid, I saw the movie "The Transporter" and I was immediately hooked on BMW. The car in the movie was an e38 and I wanted one so badly. Then I saw the e34 in "Ronin" and decided I wanted a 5 series. I eventually bumped it up from the e34 to the e39(still love both though). I told my dad that I wanted a BMW for my first car and he said "If you can find a way to pay for it, you can." He of course imagined that I would never be able to afford one. In the beginning I wasn't going to buy anything expensive, and loved the e36 coupe in "Shoot Em-Up" and decided that was what I wanted. Eventually, I kept upping the budget and finally settled on an e39 touring. I wanted a 540iT but my dad said it had too much power and when I found out I couldn't get it in manual I said no and settled on a 528iT. Then, my dad said no RWD. (At the time, he wasn't quite comfortable even though have been driving for years and even have track experience.) So, I finally decided on an e46 325xiT. My dad encouraged me to look at other cars as well. I considered well over 30 cars but kept going back to the e46. The only car that even came close to the e46 in my opinion was the Volvo V70R. I still want that car and question my decision but I certainly love my car and believe I made the right choice. It just wouldn't make sense driving a Volvo because I am a BMW fanatic in the very sense of the word. That is except for my other favorite, that will always have a special place in my heart, SAAB.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #34
AwDang

My Ride: 323iT 5mt/ZSP
because iT

AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #35
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
We owned a E36, and were really happy with it, the E46 seemed like a nice upgrade.

Love the car, hate the shoddy design flaws... Windows, Wiring Harness, crap cooling system.

My E36 has 211000 miles (bought at 80K), and in that time has needed,
1 water pump, new thermostat, Alternator, valve cover gasket.

E46 100K miles (Bought at 75K),,, Water Pump, Wiring harness for trunk,
Tail light meltdown, window regulator failure , Oil leaks, CV joints, Valve cover gasket,
Fuel pump, Heater control, heater ballast resistor, Oil filter tower seals, Washer pump....
Like I said its the picky crap that ruins the car...

Dave
My E30 had 275k on it when I sold it and did not have the issues, in fact NO car ever owned (BMW or non-BMW) had the design issues that E46 has. But still love the way the car handles. The E46 now has 225k on it. Never had a car that required changing window regulators, now a total of 7 times. LCA need to be changed on a regular basis, the control for the temp on the air conditioner needed to be serviced, the sub-frame cracked (under engineered), the windowshield glass needed to be replaced 3 times because it is extremely thin within 3 inches of the edge and cracks if a object hits it there. All else is normal maintenance as expected: water pump, hoses, plugs, fluids, filters, tires. Not sure about the RSM allowing the shock to break through into the trunk area--but now have reinforcement brace on it. The 'normal' head-lighting that came with the car is the is the worse, worse than any other car i owned (volvo, Chrysler, E30, subaru, olds,) but seats are great. I am ready for a new BMW!
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #36
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
because iT

5MT, sport iT with rear M-Tech II and quad exhaust.

Moar!!!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 07-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #37
AwDang

My Ride: 323iT 5mt/ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
5MT, sport iT with rear M-Tech II and quad exhaust.

Moar!!!

google pic
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #38
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
google pic
What's life without a dream? I'm currently working on something's similar with mine. Brand new M3 steering wheel added last night and many other other mods over the last 1.5 years.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 07-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #39
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
When I was a little kid, I saw the movie "The Transporter" and I was immediately hooked on BMW. The car in the movie was an e38 and I wanted one so badly. Then I saw the e34 in "Ronin" and decided I wanted a 5 series. I eventually bumped it up from the e34 to the e39(still love both though). I told my dad that I wanted a BMW for my first car and he said "If you can find a way to pay for it, you can." He of course imagined that I would never be able to afford one. In the beginning I wasn't going to buy anything expensive, and loved the e36 coupe in "Shoot Em-Up" and decided that was what I wanted. Eventually, I kept upping the budget and finally settled on an e39 touring. I wanted a 540iT but my dad said it had too much power and when I found out I couldn't get it in manual I said no and settled on a 528iT. Then, my dad said no RWD. (At the time, he wasn't quite comfortable even though have been driving for years and even have track experience.) So, I finally decided on an e46 325xiT. My dad encouraged me to look at other cars as well. I considered well over 30 cars but kept going back to the e46. The only car that even came close to the e46 in my opinion was the Volvo V70R. I still want that car and question my decision but I certainly love my car and believe I made the right choice. It just wouldn't make sense driving a Volvo because I am a BMW fanatic in the very sense of the word. That is except for my other favorite, that will always have a special place in my heart, SAAB.
If I'm correct, I believe that Transporter 5 is on the way!!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #40
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
If I'm correct, I believe that Transporter 5 is on the way!!!!
Hmm haven't heard that but I really hope they are making another! If there is another it will be the 4th though.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"