E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #61
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Can you clarify please?
Meant the door windows. 2-doors do that.

I'm in a meeting, I should be paying more attention in-between things

Last edited by Zell; 07-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #62
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
first car E30 316 (I lived over seas)
second car E36 325i
kept the trend going E46 325i

from here I think it's an E46 M3. not anytime soon though... I'm still enjoying my time with the non M

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #63
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
E46 was the latest 3 series model when I bought my car in 2003
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #64
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Why Did You Choose an E46?

The n54 HPFP issue wasn't resolved yet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #65
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
I needed an M.

E30 is way to much money.

E36....i love them. But they all look the same. Dated IMO

E46 will break your neck, inside & outside of the car. Classy enough to pick up clients in, once we get the yellow situation out of the way that is

E9x still expensive, looks to similar to all e90's unless done up. No I6

Regardless, i have love for every model, M or not. The e46 just always tickled me upon seeing one. Its just the natural attraction people develop. Everyone's got one.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #66
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
E9x still expensive, looks to similar to all e90's unless done up. No I6

I also am a bit bummed that the E9X M doesn't have the I6....
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #67
AJP330i

My Ride: 05 ZHP
Looks, Performance, and it's an enthusiast car so lots of support from e46fanatics when the bich starts acting up!!

Last edited by AJP330i; 07-10-2013 at 03:03 PM.
AJP330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #68
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
I posted this in a previous thread but ill post here also. I've always been a fan of BMW. I wanted a daily driver that did everything well. Fun to drive when I need it to be, good on gas at hwy speed, DIY friendly, as good as any suv with winter tires in light-med heavy snow, classic timeless design to a point when I detail my car my friends that are non-car people ask me if I bought a new car. Oh and an added bonus of an E46 community that is still going strong.

It's the most fun and most fulfiling car to have because there's no other car that I can think of investing more money into that will give back so much driving pleasure than any used car in the market, other than maybe an E46 M3. Im in year 13 and It's a constant struggle to go all in on mods/maintenace or just call it a day and trade/sell her. I've never been so attached to a car this much that I'am actually strugling to find a proper replacement without burning too much of a hole in my pocket. It only takes a spirited drive on twisty roads on a nice day and all those thoughts of selling go out the window.

Oh and the chick magnet feature is by far the best under-advertised option that came with the car
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #69
aldeghij

My Ride: 2003 330i
I ask myself that question every single day..... self-loathing???? Haha

I actually drove a Jetta as my commuter until I got tail ended on the freeway last year by a drunk driver which caused a four car accident. While I was waiting to get my insurance $$$ my buddy who managed an insurance auction yard called me up and told me he had a clean 330i with a 5 speed with 200k miles on his lot. Said it needed a clutch, but i should be able to get it cheap. I went down there and drove it (clutch was slipping like crazy), and knew I had to have one. I bid on that one, but lost the auction cuz my max was too low. After that it was off to look for another one. Found mine down in the Bay Area. Pretty sure I got BS'd pretty good, but about $2500 later I'm almost half way done w/ repairs/preventive maintenance. Joined this forum and started reading up on them (and still bought one, you'd think i'da been scared away).

Been a love/hate relationship ever since.... Haha.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #70
dgknight

My Ride: 02 325xi 5sp 120k
For me:

Short version:
=========
Straight 6 baby!

Long version:
=========
Needed to consolidate my AWD mountain/towing car (Subaru legacy wagon) and fun car (Miata with Turbo) into one. Had to be a stick shift, AWD and fun to drive, and have loved the straight 6 BMW motor since I was knee high to a grasshopper. With the Euro tow hitch (I have the Bosal) this car can safely tow more than any other sedan with a US aftermarket tow hitch.
dgknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #71
DarkSyde330ci

My Ride: COUPE
Once you close the doors on a coupe the windows return up about a 1/4" to seal themselves I've never seen another car do that. I believe this is what Zell is referring to, I'm sure it has a technical name for it that I don't know.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #72
brickhaus

My Ride: 328ci
I originally wanted an e30 really badly, but after searching and talking with parents I determined that at this point in my life, a car that old might not be the best to start out with. I really wanted an e36 then, but I couldnt find anything good around my area. I then started to look for BMWS in general to see what was out there, found a couple e46's. Thought it was a good point between modern technology and not having a massive price tag. It looks good, but mine needs some adjustments to get it to my liking, but I think its a good looking car. The engine is solid and the amenities that are offered in the cabin are great. Nothing over the top or bare minimum.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #73
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Uh the E36 coupe windows do that and so does the G35 coupe. I think a lot of older coupes with frameless windows do that as well. it does that out of necessity, not to make the cabin quieter. (even though that may be an indirect secondary result)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 07-10-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #74
xlspecial

My Ride: 2000 323 conv
I wanted a convertible that wasn't a Sebring.
xlspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #75
DarkSyde330ci

My Ride: COUPE
I should have known man I'm soo sorry.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #76
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI

I will also say that mango hit the nail on the head and took the words right out of my mouth. Great cars with a fantastic balance of everything that I look for in a car. I worked for BMW when the e46 first came out for sale and I remember the first time I drove one. They are still to date one of the most solid cars I've ever driven, of course this is when all original parts are refreshed and running as it did when new. The only issue with me remembering what the e46 drove like new is the amount of cash it costs me to get and keep mine performing and running as it did back then. I'm now on my 3rd E46 and I couldn't see myself not having one sitting in the garage to drive.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #77
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Uh the E36 coupe windows do that and so does the G35 coupe. I think a lot of older coupes with frameless windows do that as well. it does that out of necessity, not to make the cabin quieter. (even though that may be an indirect secondary result)
The first car I saw with this feature was a Boxster, back in 2002 or so. As you say, the cars with frameless windows (coupes and verts) have it. I think it's there to ensure a good seal between the glass and the weather strip without tearing up the weather strip.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #78
KUMAR's330xi

My Ride: 2006 330xi

The e46 is an amazing car, I really feel like I shouldn't have traded it in for an e90. But it's still a BMW and still is pretty much the ultimate driving machine.

KUMAR's330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #79
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
The first car I saw with this feature was a Boxster, back in 2002 or so. As you say, the cars with frameless windows (coupes and verts) have it. I think it's there to ensure a good seal between the glass and the weather strip without tearing up the weather strip.
Yeah many cars have a metal frame that goes on top of the window. The window glass needs to clear that frame/rubber/etc. so when it closes it closes against the seal and not against hard metal. nothing at all fancy, spooky, or clever about it. It's like mentioning how the blinkers make a clicky sound when you activate them.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #80
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
I've been in plenty of frameless-window cars that don't do that. Subaru Foresters, None of the Fords of that area, just to name a few. It's not a necessity, it's a luxury feature that you would expect from a luxury brand. The Subaru and Fords that I've been in were about as old as my car, and they had annoying whistles right in the door seals from both age and poor design.

Whenever people close my passenger door, that's what they always comment on.

Last edited by Zell; 07-10-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote