E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #81
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Yeah many cars have a metal frame that goes on top of the window. The window glass needs to clear that frame/rubber/etc. so when it closes it closes against the seal and not against hard metal. nothing at all fancy, spooky, or clever about it. It's like mentioning how the blinkers make a clicky sound when you activate them.
Okay, now you're taking me down memory lane and diverting this thread, which is entirely okay. Threads should have a life of their own, independent of the OP.

I had a 1970 Firebird that did not have a window frame, and the glass tore the rubber weather strip to shreds. It's not glass vs. metal frame, it's glass vs. soft rubber. (Had I possessed a lick of sense, I would have rolled the window down a bit before opening/closing, but that would've been hard to do from outside the car; car in question didn't have power windows, and this was before you could operate windows with the key fob.)

And the clicky blinkers, omg, they were really bad back in the 60s and 70s. The sound was the relay that was clicking to switch the power on/off to the lights. When car manufacturers started using electronic relays, they had to manufacture the blinker sound to remind people to turn them off.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #82
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
She is a willing dance partner and has curves at all the right places.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #83
DarkSyde330ci

My Ride: COUPE
I even test drove a g35 but never realized they did that also. There seem to be a lot more that don't do it than do and comparing that feature to blinkers is just ignorant.

I have a 76 Trans am so I'm still familiar with that click.

Last edited by DarkSyde330ci; 07-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.
DarkSyde330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #84
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
I love the handling, i love the noise it makes, i love how easy it is to work on, i love how ergonomic it is, it is very elegant, it is my favorite bmw body style to date, and i like how fast i can enter corners in.

Feels good when that moron is tailgating me on the highway and as soon as get on the off ramp, downshift, and stretch my leg a bit how far back he ends up.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me

Last edited by serdar255; 07-10-2013 at 08:52 PM.
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #85
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Bought a Civic Hybrid from a used car lot, and the lack of power, plus the shittyness of a hybrid kept pissing me off. Like it would struggle to hit 85ish, it would shut off at stop lights/signs to save gas (bullshit) and the AC wasn't working too well. So I took it back to the lot I bought it from, and saw my beloved white 325i, just sitting there. Seeing the car, sitting in the sport seats, made me fall in love. Put the key in, and started it. The roar of the engine, and ample power, just made me have to get it. Few months after purchase, I wrecked the car, into my house.
Bought my 330i, fully loaded, a few months back. I don't think I'll ever get any car other than a BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #86
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Why Did You Choose an E46?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
Bought a Civic Hybrid from a used car lot, and the lack of power, plus the shittyness of a hybrid kept pissing me off. Like it would struggle to hit 85ish, it would shut off at stop lights/signs to save gas (bullshit) and the AC wasn't working too well. So I took it back to the lot I bought it from, and saw my beloved white 325i, just sitting there. Seeing the car, sitting in the sport seats, made me fall in love. Put the key in, and started it. The roar of the engine, and ample power, just made me have to get it. Few months after purchase, I wrecked the car, into my house.
Bought my 330i, fully loaded, a few months back. I don't think I'll ever get any car other than a BMW.
How does one wreck his 325 into his parents house and then get them to buy him a 330 afterwards? I don't understand how parents put their kids in these types of cars these days and then if they wreck them they get rewarded with a better model. Nothing against you at all, just wondering how you pull that off.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #87
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
How does one wreck his 325 into his parents house and then get them to buy him a 330 afterwards? I don't understand how parents put their kids in these types of cars these days and then if they wreck them they get rewarded with a better model. Nothing against you at all, just wondering how you pull that off.

It was because I put money in for it. I still felt like **** for wrecking the car, but lessons learned. I actually paid more for the '01 325i ZSP, than I did for the '02 330i ZSP/ZPP/ZCP. the 325 had 196K when I acquired it, and the 330 had 136.

Quote:
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #88
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
It was because I put money in for it. I still felt like **** for wrecking the car, but lessons learned. I actually paid more for the '01 325i ZSP, than I did for the '02 330i ZSP/ZPP/ZCP. the 325 had 196K when I acquired it, and the 330 had 136.
Were you the one who made a thread about driving into your own house? And you wanted to pull it out of the house with your mom's Toyota?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #89
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
Were you the one who made a thread about driving into your own house? And you wanted to pull it out of the house with your mom's Toyota?
Yeah... /.\
It was the 4.0 4Runenr, so I figured it could pull it out. Then a few members pointed out that I might have hit a structural support, so it'd be better to get the fire department to look at it, and then get a tow truck to pull it out. Ended up doing that. :/ Lots of memories on this site. Lots of 'em.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #90
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post

The important thing to remember about most parents that buy their kids 'nicer' cars is they're doing it for their own image and enjoyment (maybe guilt?) as much as for the kid. Parents live vicariously through their children and try to give them what the didn't have - So kid crashes a car, they gotta replace it. Otherwise, the neighbors will think their too poor to replace a wrecked BMW with a better BMW. And after all, that's what they would have wanted when they were their kid's age.

It's interesting which parents decide to do it though. One of the (few) guys in my high school class that had a brand new sports car given to him jr year lived in a sh*thole house. I grabbed a ride with him one day and we stopped by his place and I absolutely could not believe a family wealthy enough to waste a brand new car on a 16 year old lived like that - meanwhile most of my friends lived in better neighborhoods and drove beaters, if anything.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #91
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
^^ You are quite right. I saw this all the time at school, which I just finished this year. But it was different than you'd expect. Except for the poor kid who drove a 2012 base model Camaro(which he thought was the sh!t), most people drive terrible cars but think they are fantastic. I draw a lot of jokes for having a "station wagon" but the fact of the matter is that this car has roughly $18k of my own hard earned money in it versus a r!ced out eBay special Honda Civic. And my car is just miles better in every category.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #92
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
The important thing to remember about most parents that buy their kids 'nicer' cars is they're doing it for their own image and enjoyment (maybe guilt?) as much as for the kid. Parents live vicariously through their children and try to give them what the didn't have - So kid crashes a car, they gotta replace it. Otherwise, the neighbors will think their too poor to replace a wrecked BMW with a better BMW. And after all, that's what they would have wanted when they were their kid's age.

It's interesting which parents decide to do it though. One of the (few) guys in my high school class that had a brand new sports car given to him jr year lived in a sh*thole house. I grabbed a ride with him one day and we stopped by his place and I absolutely could not believe a family wealthy enough to waste a brand new car on a 16 year old lived like that - meanwhile most of my friends lived in better neighborhoods and drove beaters, if anything.
No offense, but you DO realize, that our E46s aren't all that expensive nowadays, right? I got my current 330i for 5900 bucks.
Just because it has a BMW emblem on it, doesn't mean it's a 50,000$ sports car. Seriously.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #93
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
No offense, but you DO realize, that our E46s aren't all that expensive nowadays, right? I got my current 330i for 5900 bucks.
Just because it has a BMW emblem on it, doesn't mean it's a 50,000$ sports car. Seriously.
You are absolutely right but the e46 still looks expensive and anything with those 3 letters on the front is considered expensive by people who don't know the biggest secret of these cars...their price. (Though it does cost more to run and maintain them versus other cars.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #94
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
They're still nice cars that aren't particularly cheap to maintain. In my neighborhood, most people live in fairly modest $600k homes and drive cars less nice than a 330i. If your rich, sure, an well maintained e46 is not that expensive. For most people, its still a luxury car.

Last edited by sea6speed; 07-11-2013 at 12:37 AM.
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #95
Nico16

My Ride: 2000 323i

Fan of BMW since I was 12, when my dad came home with a e30 m3 and he let me drove it for the first time and I was amazed then when I turned 18 he bought the e46 sedan for me

Nico16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #96
DarksideE46

My Ride: 328ci
After owning and working on a e36 for awhile I just had to have the e46 and been enjoying every minute behind the wheel or under the hood.
DarksideE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #97
dropbop

My Ride: 318i
Re: Why Did You Choose an E46?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
We owned a E36, and were really happy with it, the E46 seemed like a nice upgrade.

Love the car, hate the shoddy design flaws... Windows, Wiring Harness, crap cooling system.

My E36 has 211000 miles (bought at 80K), and in that time has needed,
1 water pump, new thermostat, Alternator, valve cover gasket.

E46 100K miles (Bought at 75K),,, Water Pump, Wiring harness for trunk,
Tail light meltdown, window regulator failure , Oil leaks, CV joints, Valve cover gasket,
Fuel pump, Heater control, heater ballast resistor, Oil filter tower seals, Washer pump....
Like I said its the picky crap that ruins the car...

Dave
I am new to bmw, but I am finding that if your not any way good with DIY then your better off with something else. I love diy, so my 318i and me are a perfect match.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app

My First BMW - E46 318i 1999
dropbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #98
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
I am poor and I wanted something decent.

I like the E46 styling and the idea that it's not riddled with half-assed electronics like the E9x series.
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #99
bostonsthename

My Ride: 2003 Jet Black 330xi
Quote:
This is so true. I was on a job site with mine (environmental engineer) and one of the construction workers goes "damn how much do I need for one of them?" and I'm like "Probably about the same as that C-class you have sitting right there." It's funny, people think because we have e46's that we have a ton of money...not the case lol, we just love our cars, even when they're giving us a little trouble
Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #100
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
I love the handling, i love the noise it makes, i love how easy it is to work on, i love how ergonomic it is, it is very elegant, it is my favorite bmw body style to date, and i like how fast i can enter corners in.

Feels good when that moron is tailgating me on the highway and as soon as get on the off ramp, downshift, and stretch my leg a bit how far back he ends up.
Hehehe oh yes. That's always fun
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote