E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
BMW, Toyota to produce new Supra?

http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbcs...#axzz2Yys54Xmu

Any progress, almost a year after this article? This is all I can find.

Any comments are appreciated.

Last edited by Sweetness; 07-13-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1373767033
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile
BMW, Toyota to produce new Supra?

That would be awesome. The supra is just timeless... Idk why but it's like a cult classic.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
joel11

My Ride: hyundai santro
I'm a great fan of Toyota. I'm just waiting for its first look....
joel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Serega91

My Ride: 00' 323i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328isawesome View Post
That would be awesome. The supra is just timeless... Idk why but it's like a cult classic.
4 reasons: Fast and Furious, Video games, drag racing, and the crude simplicity of the 2JZGTE (which gave it its well known tuning potential)
Plus the fact that before the release of the MK4 supra Toyota hasnt built anything remotely as exotic for about 30 years

However (please bear with me) the MK4 is extremely overrated amongst those who dont know its history well (ie kids who just cranked out 20 hours of NFS gameplay)....and many supra owners will tell you the same. It was not some kind of sports car, track monster, or a handler, but more of a heavy GT car with alot of mass up in front. That's what toyota intended it to be... an upscale GT.

Few know that outside of drag racing the Supra was incompetent in motorsports events, it did poorly in the JGTC and, the only non-drag related competive event I am aware of it winning was the one lap of america (in late 2000-something).

Despite the 2JZ's upgradability, the stock powerband of the 2JZ had a torque hole at the RPM range when the small turbo stopped spooling and the big turbo took over, and the head flow in the 2JZ was nothing to write home about.

Nevertheless, I love the MK4... because it is rare in the US and again... is unlike anything toyota has built for the preceding 30 years. I am aware that a simple e46 m3 would destroy a stock supra on track, and might even take it in a drag race... but I would a hard time picking between the two cars if I had the money to buy either. The supra is a unique car deserving reincarnation.

If anyone could help toyota do this, it would be BMW...
The N54 is as close you can get to a modern 2JZ GTE

Last edited by Serega91; 10-08-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote