E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
mojtro

My Ride: M3 2002 smg
Unhappy Smg acting up

lately its been really hot in nyc d smg light is been coming up a lot now also it loses gears. any ideas what this might be.? i thought i was because of heat now i think is something else pls help. wanna go to bimmerfest need to take care of this asap
mojtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=372262

search first next time. Use a 680 ohm resistor not the 3.3k that is too high.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
mojtro

thanks idk much on how to search here. another thing does this causes d check engine light to come on too?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
yup, has to do with the heat.

SMG will think its overheating causing the light.

as for searching, not that hard, theres a Search button on the same bar as the USER CP, NEW POSTS, and LOG OUT

Last edited by rcsummers; 07-15-2013 at 07:10 PM.
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
mojtro

ok thanks again i will look for resistor tomorrow. also did u c d thread about smg relay do u thing i should replace it? i have d car for 2 1/2 years and dont remember changing it
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Moosecakes

I wrote the SMG relay thread, and yes change it. I had a CEL for my smg thrown and would get the cog light on, but never lost gear. Changed my relay and it's a lot happier now. I need to do the resistor mod next weekend and then get my code read, it should just be my secondary o2 now and no more smg code.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
mojtro

great thanks for ur help
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
XIinSC

My Ride: 2004 M3 98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosecakes View Post
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=372262

search first next time. Use a 680 ohm resistor not the 3.3k that is too high.
Oh? Will it make any difference really? I just ordered the 3.3K ones just to have in case. Didn't see any others.
XIinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Moosecakes

Yes absolutely, 3.3k is going to trick your system into registering such a low temp that in the event something really is going wrong you aren't going to be alerted. 680ohm was tested to still show serious problems through the cog light. 3.3k will not. If you can't find any 680's pm me i'll send you one for a buck. I have like 25 of them.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
mojtro

thanks very much for help

Moosecakes and SCsummers for show me how to take care SMG problem. i did what u guys told me car is shifting nice no transmission or SES light. ready for bimmerfest
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Moosecakes

Awesome man! I'm glad that worked out for your. My car got pissy with me today lol, need a new battery I think.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
rcsummers

Quote:
Awesome man! I'm glad that worked out for your. My car got pissy with me today lol, need a new battery I think.
so which i should go with the 680 ohm??

i want to do this tomorrow, i bought the 3.3k ohm today. and could i still install the smaller of the two using butt connectors in the ecu box? no access to a solder here.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
Moosecakes

Sorry for the late reply, Pm'd ya Rich.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
rcsummers

thanks!!

so i just was driving home from getting everything needed to do this, resistor, butt connector, electrical tape, etc. and i look down, its 102 degrees, im like when i then see the SMG logo come up on a down shift, 3rd to 2nd. So should I wait for the code to clear before doing this, or should i just say **** it and do it. and worry about the code later.

just took her around the block to make sure it was dropping or anything. It drove normal just with the light there . Im leaving it outside, to cool down for an hour or two then il take it for another spin, see if the lights are gone then do the mod, as it shouldnt take very long doing it through the ECU box.

Last edited by rcsummers; 07-18-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
Moosecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
thanks!!

so i just was driving home from getting everything needed to do this, resistor, butt connector, electrical tape, etc. and i look down, its 102 degrees, im like when i then see the SMG logo come up on a down shift, 3rd to 2nd. So should I wait for the code to clear before doing this, or should i just say **** it and do it. and worry about the code later.

just took her around the block to make sure it was dropping or anything. It drove normal just with the light there . Im leaving it outside, to cool down for an hour or two then il take it for another spin, see if the lights are gone then do the mod, as it shouldnt take very long doing it through the ECU box.
My SMG cog lit up yesterday like I said in my PM, was on my entire 2hr drive home, no big deal not one dropped gear I really need to do the mod lol. You have to let it sit for a good while and let all that engine heat dissipate.

Mine took overnight before it went off. You can do the mod with the light still on, remember we're tricking the temp sensor to reading slightly lower. Also disconnecting your battery before you go cutting wires will reset the system anyway.

Should take all of about 15 mins if you aren't familiar with wiring intimately. Just make sure you have a SOLID connection with that butt connector, I strongly suggest getting it soldered properly if you can find someone.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
rcsummers

Quote:
My SMG cog lit up yesterday like I said in my PM, was on my entire 2hr drive home, no big deal not one dropped gear I really need to do the mod lol. You have to let it sit for a good while and let all that engine heat dissipate.

Mine took overnight before it went off. You can do the mod with the light still on, remember we're tricking the temp sensor to reading slightly lower. Also disconnecting your battery before you go cutting wires will reset the system anyway.

Should take all of about 15 mins if you aren't familiar with wiring intimately. Just make sure you have a SOLID connection with that butt connector, I strongly suggest getting it soldered properly if you can find someone.
ill be able to solder it, i just need to go out and get my solder back from a buddy. I needed to get this done before my 3 hour drive down to bimmerfest tomorrow in the 98 degree heat.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
Moosecakes

You'll be good that way for a few days, I suggest bringing extra butt connectors and the wire crimp tool just as a safety measure. I don't trust them for even my audio wiring personally.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #18
rcsummers

^ im briging the 3 extra resistors and a few stronger ones just in case, as well as plenty of butt connectors, the crimp tool, electrical, etc.

thanks for the help. i just finished mine.

just have to clean it up and get to bed.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
Moosecakes

Nice work man! I was actually just saying to my wife as we were pulling into our parking spot that my SMG cog hadn't came on, then it did... ironic right.. smart ass car. I'm gonna do the resistor mod tomorrow while I'm down in eugene.

Safe drive man! LMK how that mod works!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
rcsummers

So, went down to bimmerfest in Baltimore from North NJ area (like 15 miles of NYC). about a 3 hour drive with no traffic.

We were sitting in traffic friday going down, temps hit 108 degrees F. not even a hiccup. its was glorious. i literally hugged my car when we pulled into the parking garage.

And the same thing on the way back, wasnt as hot, but temps got up to 100 degrees F at one point, and nothing in the small pockets of stop and go traffic we hit.

Thank you all!! This is totally worth it.

Last edited by rcsummers; 07-21-2013 at 05:49 PM.