E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
ChazHS

My Ride: 2001 E46 M3
E46 M3 Misfire / Slight Power Loss

Hello all, this is my first post but I have been trawling through these forums for a little while.

I have a 2001 E46 M3 Convertible with 128,000 miles on the clock, and it is giving me some rather odd symptoms.

To begin with on idle occasionally it was a bit rough, once it had warmed up and been driven however it was 100% fine and very smooth. Then, after a while it started displaying more misfires/juddering on idle, once it was given a bit of throttle it would clear up and be fine again. To be safe I replaced the spark plugs and gave it an oil change (even though it was not due another inspection for 8000 miles), this didn't cure the problem, so I replaced all of the ignition coils too; after which the misfire problem disappeared.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it is now missing all the time and feels a bit down on power. I've checked the coils with a meter and they all read the same, and checked the condition of all of the spark plugs. I also tried disconnecting each coil pack in turn to see if the misfire changed, but strangely it changed on all of them - so I appear to have misfires on all cylinders! The air and fuel filters were both changed for new MANN parts about 750 miles ago, and I have no SES light on.

There is no EML present, and the car is going to a private garage tomorrow to have any codes it is throwing read. All I was wondering is if anybody had any idea of possible causes/solutions for me to take to the garage with me tomorrow to try and give them somewhere to start.

Thanks.

Last edited by ChazHS; 07-16-2013 at 03:19 PM.
ChazHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
If you are disconnecting coils to see which one is misfiring, you look for the coil that produces no change when disconnected. That will be the one that is misfiring. As all coils are producing a change in smoothness when disconnected, that is your clue that the problem lies elsewhere.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
try cleaning the maf sensor? clean air filter? when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? SES light on? sounds like it should be an easy fix.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
ChazHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscoo2pyopants View Post
try cleaning the maf sensor? clean air filter? when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? SES light on? sounds like it should be an easy fix.
Sorry, I should have said in my earlier post. I was in a bit of a rush, I'll edit it now.

I have cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF fluid, it has a new air filter and the fuel filter was changed about 750 miles ago. There is no SES light on.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Grinchxvx

My Ride: 2001 M3, 1998 M3
E46 M3 Misfire / Slight Power Loss

My car is doing this same kind of thing but I haven't started to pursue it yet, I'm interested to see what the fix will be

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Grinchxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Dan1983

My Ride: 325i, CB M3
I was told a cam sensor can throw a misfire when it starts to go. Thankfully it looks like mine was just a coil though.

Last edited by Dan1983; 07-16-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Dan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
Scan for fault codes. Had same issue - bought new coils and spark plugs (since I was there) and fixed my issue. Any misfires should leave a code I would think.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Don't take it to a garage to have codes read. They'll charge you for something that can be done for free at any auto parts store. Come back and tell us what codes come up and we can help you from there.
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
ChazHS

Hi guys, I had the codes read (for free by a mechanic I know) and it came up with a lot when we first connected up, they were:

P1525 Unknown DTC-Manufacturer Control
P0012 "A" CMP-Timing Over Retarded
P0301 Cyl 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 Cyl 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 Cyl 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 Cyl 4 Misfire Detected
P0305 Cyl 5 Misfire Detected
P0306 Cyl 6 Misfire Detected
P0300 Random/Multiple Cyl Misfire Detected
P1342 Unknown DTC-Manufacturer Control
P1344 Unknown DTC-Manufacturer Control
P1346 Unknown DTC-Manufacturer Control
P1348 Unknown DTC-Manufacturer Control
P1350 Unknown DTC-Manufacturer Control
P1352 Unknown DTC-Manufacturer Control
P0316 Engine Misfire Detected On Start Up (First 1000 Revs)
P1531 Unknown DTC-Manufacturer Control

He said the best thing to do then was to clear those incase they were caused by the battery being taken out when spark plugs were changed etc. We then re-read the car with some sort of specific engine program this time and had the following codes:

77 3rd O2 Sensor Coltage (Cyl 1-3 After Cat)
22 Fuel Injector Cyl 3
80 Interface ABS/ASC Ignition Fadeout
140 No Description
21 VANOS Electrical Fault
25 Outlet stage 1st O2 sensor heater (cyl 1-3 before cat)
75 1st O2 Sensor Voltage (cyl 1-3 before cat)
255 Tank venting valve jammed open
131 No description

I know thats a lot of codes, I am guessing the best thing to do is replace injector 3 and then see if the others go away? The VANOS code is concerning me though? Any ideas/recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
I'm assuming the 2001 has the same Vanos solenoid, which eventually suffers a failure due to weak solder joints. A good bit of maintenance would be to replace the solenoid with the Besian Systems solenoid that fixes the weak solder joints. At $150 it is a cheap maintenance item you'll have to do at some point anyways.

You can clean the Vanos valve body, filter and replace the seals at the same time too.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
ChazHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I'm assuming the 2001 has the same Vanos solenoid, which eventually suffers a failure due to weak solder joints. A good bit of maintenance would be to replace the solenoid with the Besian Systems solenoid that fixes the weak solder joints. At $150 it is a cheap maintenance item you'll have to do at some point anyways.

You can clean the Vanos valve body, filter and replace the seals at the same time too.
I believe it does have the same VANOS unit as every other E46 M3, if there was an issue with the VANOS would I not get a check engine light though? Along with a noticeable lack of the VANOS working?

The engine is definitely down on power but I suspect that will be due to the faulty injector, once I have replaced that I will get the codes read again and see if any VANOS related ones pop up. Do Besian Systems ship to the UK?