E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
The other Florida case everyone's talking about

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/07...trayvon-martin

Quote:
Right on the heels of the George Zimmerman trial, another controversial and tragic self-defense case is making its way to court. This time the scene is Jacksonville, Florida, and the story involves Jordan Davis, an unarmed black teen the same age as Trayvon Martin. Davis, 17, was shot to death by Michael Dunn.

Dunn told police that he asked Davis and three other teens, who were parked next to him at a gas station, to turn down their music. Dunn claims he heard threats from the teens and saw a gun in their car. He says he feared for his own safety, and that's why he grabbed his gun and fired into the vehicle.

Police say they found no guns inside the teens' vehicle and that Dunn fired his gun eight or nine times.

Dunn has been charged with first-degree murder in Davis' death and also faces three counts of attempted first-degree murder for shooting at the three passengers in the vehicle who survived.

Dunn's attorney, Robin Lemonidis, has told CNN that her client was reacting to what he claims was a gun being drawn. "When all the evidence has been flushed out, I believe that it will be extremely clear that Mr. Dunn acted as any responsible firearm owner would have under the same circumstances," Lemonidis said.

While it's unknown if Dunn will claim a "Stand Your Ground" defense during his trial, he is claiming that he shot at the teens in self-defense. Zimmerman also said he acted in self-defense when he shot Trayvon Martin. A former neighborhood watch volunteer, Zimmerman had called police on Feb. 26, 2012 and reported Martin as looking "suspicious." The two got into an altercation, and Zimmerman said he was forced to draw his gun and shoot Martin in self-defense. A jury of six women found Zimmerman not guilty Saturday after about 16 hours of deliberations.

Many who followed the Zimmerman case considered races to be one the key issues at play. Critics accused Zimmerman of racially profiling Martin and protests were held around the country when it appeared that Zimmerman wasn't going to be arrested in Martin's death. Zimmerman was eventually charged with second-degree murder in April 2012. The case reinvigorated national conversations about race, racial profiling and self-defense laws -- and even after the verdict, those discussions continue.

However, while there are undeniable similarities between the cases of Dunn and Zimmerman -- including that both incidents happened in Florida -- the people involved in the case are doing what they can to underscore some key differences.

For example, Lemonidis denies any connection between the Dunn case and Zimmerman's case and says her client isn't a "vigilante."

Davis' mom says she doesn't want race to be the focus of her son's case.

"It's apparent that Michael Dunn is white, it's apparent that Jordan is black," Lucia McBath Davis told HLN's Raising America. "But the issue is the 'Stand Your Ground' laws. The issue is not the racial part of it. We're not going to center and focus on that because that doesn't do any good for the country. We're not going to incite racism in this country. The bigger picture is making a change in the laws so that ... this doesn't continue to happen."

With Zimmerman having been acquitted after a successful self-defense claim, could Dunn's case be headed in the same direction? Lucia Davis has expressed concerns about the Zimmerman verdict to the Davis family attorney, John Phillips.

"It's been the toughest," Phillips told HLN's Raising America. "Imagine having clients, for any attorney out there, that make you get goosebumps and cry. And then, to have 10 minutes after this verdict to be sitting in Sanford to get the text message 'freaking out about justice and not knowing where to go next' was just as painful as I've ever had."

Dunn has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail in a Duval County, Florida, jail. His trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 23, 2013.
He felt threatened so he'll walk too. Fvckin Black a$$ thugs.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 07-16-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1374025936
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/07...trayvon-martin

He felt threatened so he'll walk too. Fvckin Black a$$ thugs.
I doubt it. Sounds like that mfer going to jail.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Re: The other Florida case everyone's talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
That's the impression I get as well.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Well, unlike Zimmerman's case, the evidence isn't clear so quarterbacking this is just speculation.

Having said that, and skimming over the facts briefly, this is the type of case the solidifies self defense laws and stand your ground. From what I gather (it might be incomplete)...Dunn did not act in a reasonable manner, as dictated by the statute. When you exercise deadly force, you must prepare to face the consequences if your decision is wrong. If it is wrong, you will wind up on death row or life in prison. Zimmerman's decision was the right one. This guy seemingly made a bad one. Even if he saw a gun (could be that he saw a cellphone or something that looked like a gun, hell, cops do it all the time), that doesn't mean it was going to be used on him. It doesn't seem like it was pointed at him, and as any gunowner knows, the simple presence of a gun is not a crime, and does not warrant any kind of defense, otherwise if I saw some dude walking with a gun, I could just shoot him and just say I was in fear for my life. Leaving the crime scene is not in it of itself a crime, but he should have called 911 immediately and reported the incident, and told the dispatcher that he has left the crimescene and awaiting for police to arrive. Him not doing anything until the morning won't look good.

All in all, unless some new evidence comes into play, I highly doubt he will walk, as it doesnot LOOK (to me) like a legitimate self defense claim. It SOUNDS to me like this guy was exactly the kind of person people are accusing Zimmerman of being....a guy that has a gun that thinks he is invincible. Hopefully the system works, he gets his trial, and the jury gets to decide his fate. Saying anything more about this case in terms of a white guy vs black guy is racebaiting.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 07-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Aw man, this is totally just like the Zimmerman case except for the fact that it's nothing at all like the Zimmerman case.

Good try, though.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
NFRs2000nyc

Thought this was interesting....

Quote:
Rhonda Rouer tells police when they parked next to a car with loud music at the Gate Station on Southside Boulevard November 23rd, Michael Dunn said "I hate that thug music" as he had said to her before. She went inside to buy wine and chips, and heard several shots fired while she was inside.

She looked out and saw Dunn, but did not see a gun. She went outside and he urgently told her to 'get in the car, get in the car!' As she did, she saw Dunn put his gun back in the glove box. Dunn told her he shot at the car with the loud music - she asked him why.

"He said 'I feared for my life.' I said 'why?' He said 'they threatened to kill me.'"

Police: "And he also told you at some point they were advancing?"

Rouer: "Correct."

Police: "But he did not elaborate on what advancing meant?"

Rouer: "Exactly."
Now, first, this is the type of situation where you should have STF.U and stayed your a$$ in the car. It wasn't near your home, so leave people alone. I hate blasting music too (any kind, not just thug) but Im not going to go and tell people to turn it down. Now, the threatened to kill me part....I believe that it was SAID...I have heard it a number of times by customers, street punks, etc. 9.9 times out of 10 it is am empty thread. If he told them turn your music down a$$hole, and they say "STF U old man before you get killed" that (if I was on a jury) in it of itself isn't enough of a threat to warrant deadly force. So, even IF this dude feared for his life (I don't know if I buy it), a reasonable person would not.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
NFRs2000nyc

Seems like two judges already got the boot off this trial. IF he walks, it will be due to procedural errors, but I highly doubt that.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Sorry to disappoint Lair, Phrozen, et al, but I doubt this thread will drag into a long Zimmerman-style debate. Just from the little I've read about this case, this guy is going to jail. And rightly so. Oh, and he sure sounds like a racist to boot.

If he doesn't go to jail, it's because there is some critical evidence no one has revealed yet, or because the prosecution screws up, or there really is systemic racism involved. And if he walks, THIS would be the case to protest over. But I'd be shocked if he walks.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post

If he doesn't go to jail, it's because there is some critical evidence no one has revealed yet, or because the prosecution screws up, or there really is systemic racism involved. And if he walks, THIS would be the case to protest over. But I'd be shocked if he walks.
Subscribed.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Subscribed.
I have never said it doesn't exist!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
Lair
Modded ///Member

Guilty on every count except murder one. Mistrial declared on that count.

That's exactly the opposite of what I expected.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #13
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/15/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

Quote:
Michael Dunn was found guilty on four charges, including three for attempted second-degree murder, which could land him behind bars for decades. Yet there was no verdict on the first-degree murder charge tied to the death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis.
Seems strange that they can find him guilty on the attempted murder charges, but be hung on the murder charge. I have always thought the actions and motive for the two are the same, the only difference is how successful the criminal is.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #14
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
this was in no way, shape, or form a valid argument for stand your ground. it was murder. period.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
This is nothing like the Zimmerman case. Curious as to the mistrial, but not enough to look it up.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #16
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
This is nothing like the Zimmerman case.

I agree.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Davis' mother sounds like a decent woman

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #18
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
this was in no way, shape, or form a valid argument for stand your ground. it was murder. period.
SYG wasn't cited in either this case or GZ's case.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
SYG wasn't cited in either this case or GZ's case.
Actually Dunn's lawyer cited SYG during his closing arguments.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #20
Cabrio330

I too am baffled as to how he is convicted on attempted murder but NOT on murder, since the kid died. I know enough about the law to know sometimes it doesn't make sense, so haveto assume the prosecution did a poor job or they didn't have a smoking gun-level of evidence as required. To me, that he told his girlfriend to get in the car is proof that he knew he was wrong and was planning to flee. Did they actually flee the scene?

At least he was convicted on serious charges and hopefully will be sentenced to a long prison term. This case is in reality exactly what many people wrongly assumed about Zimmerman.